What do you all use to clean your CD's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
I have pondered this for some time as we all know, CD's do get fingerprints and smudges from the occasional fat finger in the way or the beer that was spilled by your friend. I know many use Rubbing (Isoprophyl ) Alcohol. Some by the cleaner at stores. I have tried Denatured Alcohol and find it works well. It has no oil in it. I read where rubbing alcohol has some oil that may leave a film on the disc. I don't know but I do need to clean a few disc soon as they look grungy.

SO What do you all use ????????

Good 'ol soap and water.:) I just run them under water use some very mild hand soap, suds 'em up, and then rinse off very well. Afterwords I use a very soft cotton hand towel (I like to use the all white ones as they tend to be softer) to dry them off. It's worked very well for me.

Optrix which not only cleans them but improves the sound also. Worth the $16.99.

I just defrag my hard drive (server/Squeezebox system)! :D

For the rare time when I actually PLAY a CD, I use a spritz of LCD screen cleaning fluid and a lint free towel.

I'm sure a vinyl record cleaning solution would be an ideal choice as long its a type that leaves no residue.

You can buy CD cleaning and polishing kits from your local electronics vendors. I've used them before and they're good for removing scratches. I've rescued some abused CDs this way and it made some CDs "playable" again.

I try not to get 'em dirty in the first place. I treat them like gold. But as with Sleepysurf, I play them very rarely these days.

Mapleshade offers a three step process for the initial cleaning.

The first is buffing the CD with a pad and a liquid that contains a minor abrasive. Most time consuming and needs to be done only once.

The second step is spraying / wiping the CD with Optrix.

The third is using a destat device.

Is it worth it? Absolutely.

Vocals take on less edge and more warmth. Soundstage increases substantially. Imaging is more precise. Mid / low bass has better definition.

Follow up treatment with Optrix and destat required after 6 to 10 plays.

Have done before and after with several non audio types. All heard the improvement.

Highly recommended.

If you want easy, definitely use the Optrix.

GG

600 grit sand paper, followed by 'Mothers' swirl remover.......only kidding CAP !!

I can honestly say that I have never had to do anything other than an 'rub across a cotton tee shirt'...preferably being worn by my wife of course !

All I can say to Dave's comment, assuming he was somewhat serious, and to others that believe that treating a CD falls into the "voodoo" category of tweakdom, is to try it.

I once treated a CD for a friend who listens to his CD's solely in his truck. He indicated he heard a difference, and for the better.

GG

Back