To clean ML Monolith iii Panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssetareh

Reaction score
HI Everybody
I live in Kuwait (In Arabian desert, for those who never heard the name) since many years, and I bought two ML Monolith iii speakers from someone who admitted to have neglected cleaning their electrostatic panels from dirt for over 10 years.
The sound of the speakers had no hissing evolving but all high and mid range sounds were not open as I was expecting, so I decided to clean them.
When I finished using the vacuum cleaner to extract as much as possible of dust, I tried to rub the outer metallic fence with a pair of soft antistatic gloves, to discover black sticky stains all over the gloves. Moreover I inserted very carefully and for two consecutive days, some high quality cotton buds into the tiny holes over different locations of the panel, to find that they were all covered with an awful black dirt on their tips.
This exercise with the ear buds would necessitate probably more than a month to finish the two speakers, which I am sure to fail doing it so I'm desperate to know whether it is technically possible and acceptable to open the panels in order to clean the plastic film inside.
Hoping someone would have had this problem to deal with.. Thanks

Any improvement after what you have done so far?

Some have washed the panels in a shower after proper precautions. Perhaps this is described in the tweaks section? Or someone who has experience can provide advice here.

Good luck.

J

It is possible that speakers have been exposed to smoke in which case cleaning might be extremely difficult without damaging membrane coating or stator insulation.

Back