What do you all recommend for streaming music, wireless router or CAT 5 cable?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STV

Reaction score
I just need to know what's the best method of carrying the stream. Just wanting to get things ready ahead of time now that the Denon AVP-A1 is right around the corner.

I will be streaming AAC Lossless, FLAC, and WAV from my PC which is located about 40 feet away from my audio setup. What do you all recommend?

Thanks in advance:)

Seth

Theoretically, it shouldnt make a difference. Either method will deliver the bits....but I always say if you can get a wire there, do it. :)

Either would work. However, for my Squeezebox setup, I ended up going the wired ethernet route, because my 2.4GHz wireless phones and microwave were causing intermittent dropouts. Another option, if streaming directly from a PC, is to connect via USB. The Benchmark DAC (and their new DAC/Pre) offers USB input, and many other DAC's are now featuring that option as well. 2008 is definitely shaping up to be the "Year of the Music Server"... http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2008/011308wrap/

I agree to go wired if you can. Wireless is great for convenience, but it definitely has a lot more issues than wired. If you just want it to work all the time, without issues, then run the wire.

Cool! Thanks guys for the excellent info:) I was leaning toward using the cable method over wireless but I just needed to be sure. Will I be losing much, if any, sound quality over a 40 foot run? And where would be the best place online to buy a high quality CAT 5 network cable?

Seth

Last edited:
Either would work. However, for my Squeezebox setup, I ended up going the wired ethernet route, because my 2.4GHz wireless phones and microwave were causing intermittent dropouts. Another option, if streaming directly from a PC, is to connect via USB. The Benchmark DAC (and their new DAC/Pre) offers USB input, and many other DAC's are now featuring that option as well. 2008 is definitely shaping up to be the "Year of the Music Server"... http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2008/011308wrap/

Yeah I was thinking the same thing with regards to drop outs and such. I want a steady high quality stream from my PC and using a line definitely makes the most sense.

Re USB, yeas this new Denon pre/pro will accept a USB connection as well. That's definitely another option. But is a USB 2 cable length of over 40 feet ok?

And I have to agree, media servers are really starting to become quite popular. Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read :) I can't wait to start streaming!

Seth

Last edited:
STV, Definetly wired.

I have dual Cat5's to every room and boy was that a great decision when building. I can run GigE to anywhere in the home.

All my AudioTron's and other media playback devices are wired. The only wirelss are controllers and laptops.

Also important is a good switch if using more ports than your router handles. For that, I highly recommend the new HP ProCurve 1400 series switches. I have both the 8G and the 24 port version and love them. they are metal boxes (small) and fanless (dead quiet). Not the cheapest, but reasonably priced and excellent value.

For Network cables, I shop here:

http://www.cablestogo.com/categories.asp?cat_id=3500

As well as NewEgg.com.

I run wireless FLAC/ALAC to my Squeezebox without any issues. It also depends on where your wireless router is compared to the receiver. If you're not building (which I am assuming you are not) then you could always see how you go with wireless before running the cable. Just a suggestion.....

Too many other wireless things going on in my house. Wired was the only way to go for me, as its essentially a guaranteed delivery mechanism.

STV, Definetly wired.

I have dual Cat5's to every room and boy was that a great decision when building. I can run GigE to anywhere in the home.

All my AudioTron's and other media playback devices are wired. The only wirelss are controllers and laptops.

Also important is a good switch if using more ports than your router handles. For that, I highly recommend the new HP ProCurve 1400 series switches. I have both the 8G and the 24 port version and love them. they are metal boxes (small) and fanless (dead quiet). Not the cheapest, but reasonably priced and excellent value.

For Network cables, I shop here:

http://www.cablestogo.com/categories.asp?cat_id=3500

As well as NewEgg.com.

Cool! Thanks!:) I'm going to see about ordering a 50 ft cable and having it in place for when the Denon AV Controller arrives (hopefully by the end of February/early March). Nice switch box, if at some point I need one I'll definitely one. Right now my D-Link router still has two free ports, so I'm good for now :)

Seth

For network cable, I strongly recommend buying from BlackBox http://www.blackbox.com They stand behind their products with a real warranty, and their network cabling is among the best in my experience. I won't use anything else.

If you're going in walls, above drop ceiling, or in access spaces like attics, lofts, etc, use Plenum rated cable. It may or may not be required by your local wiring code, but better safe than sorry. CAT5e or CAT6 - either will do the job just fine, and unless you have plans to run faster than gigabit ethernet, CAT5e is the way to go.

If you need Plenum rated cable, and don't have any use for a whole 1000' box, drop me a PM and I'll see if I have 40' or so at the end of an open box.

- Jason

I run wireless FLAC/ALAC to my Squeezebox without any issues. It also depends on where your wireless router is compared to the receiver. If you're not building (which I am assuming you are not) then you could always see how you go with wireless before running the cable. Just a suggestion.....

I imagine the wireless route (or should I say router:) for me probably wouldn't work as well for me as my PC is approx. 40 feet away from where the new pre/pro will be. Had my PC been only 20-25 feet away I just may have gone wireless. But I now now that I am definitely going with a wired connection.

Thanks for your input:)

Too many other wireless things going on in my house. Wired was the only way to go for me, as its essentially a guaranteed delivery mechanism.

This is what I am thinking as well, I also use a lot of various wireless things. So on top of the distance being a tad too far for optimum signal strength, with the rest of my wireless gizmos I could very well get some dropouts.

A wired guaranteed delivery sounds good to me :)

Seth

For network cable, I strongly recommend buying from BlackBox http://www.blackbox.com They stand behind their products with a real warranty, and their network cabling is among the best in my experience. I won't use anything else.

If you're going in walls, above drop ceiling, or in access spaces like attics, lofts, etc, use Plenum rated cable. It may or may not be required by your local wiring code, but better safe than sorry. CAT5e or CAT6 - either will do the job just fine, and unless you have plans to run faster than gigabit ethernet, CAT5e is the way to go.

If you need Plenum rated cable, and don't have any use for a whole 1000' box, drop me a PM and I'll see if I have 40' or so at the end of an open box.

- Jason

Hi Jason,

I checked out the Black Box site, and I'm impressed with all the cable options they offer.

I already ordered a 50 foot CAT6a cable earlier today from another seller http://store.a2zcable.com/jten-50.html, and it's also a very high quality cable with lifetime warranty. I've ordered from this company before for XLR, optical, coax digital, etc. and have had excellent results with their products and customer service.

But at some point in the future I will definitely give BlackBox a try. Thanks for telling me about them.:)

And I really appreciate your kind offer on that Plenum rated cable ;) If I were going through the attic it would be the ideal choice. But for what I'm going to do, it's pretty much a straight shot along a wall from the computer room. I know that CAT 6a cable may be overkill, but I might upgrade my broadband service at some point in the near future. And if it's a super high speed connection, I want to be prepared for it now.

Thank you very much for your helpful reply :)

Seth

Last edited:
Back