What DAC would you recommend ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David100

Reaction score
Hello,
My system :
Speakers : Martin Logan Summit
Preamp : Plinius M8
Amp : Plinius SA-201.
Source : Not really a good source yet (mid/low Denon CD player - 10 years old)

I am planning to use an iMAC as storage and transport system (I like the possibility of remote controlling it whith the Iphone - Nice integration), then go through a decent DAC for feeding the system.

At this time I think about a PS Audio DLIII DAC ?
What do you think ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

David

I can't recommend it, cos it's new, but I have been looking at this - great connectivity. Got to be worth a dem. Trouble is, no tubes to take away the SS sterility...:) Possible it does sound good, though. I suspect being an AR, it will be good.

http://www.audioresearch.com/DAC7.html

I will never buy an integrated CD player again, nevermind one with a transport that can't be repaired!

I will never buy an integrated CD player again, nevermind one with a transport that can't be repaired!
Why is that? You could well also buy a transport alone that cannot be repaired. Also, with separates you have to worry about an appropriate digital cable (I spent $500 on my cable alone).

One CD player that has caught my attention is the one from PrimaLuna. I'm waiting to hear the one at the dealer in Montreal. My CAL stuff is rather old and in need of replacement.

You mean the totally tubular Prologue 8? Hi-Fi News have just given it highly commended... 80% for sound. Sez it's a great player for analogue lovers...

Must say my TriVista DAC section was down, along with the transport, for the last few days. But when I disconnected the Toslink cable it booted up properly and started working when I re-connected it. Even with it's tubed output, it sounds flat & sterile when compared to vinyl. Still a relatively excellent digital player, though.

I just think the more you split something up, the better, really. Think turntable - if something goes wrong, it's simple to fix. The only way I'd buy an integrated of any value, is if I new I could buy a back up transport or two with it. Laser mechs are just rubbish for reliability. The downside it that most SACD players are integrated... not sure there is a transport that will output it - or has that changed?

Also, I want any possible player to be able to be used as a DAC, to hook it to the computer/laptop. These days, that is mandatory for me. Rules out quite a few players, and is one reason why I haven't replaced the TriVista with the half price offer of a new player from MF. Though I am thinking maybe the X series player plus the X-DACv8 might be OK... but that leaves me with a lesser player and no SACD - MF aren't making any SACD players at the mo. Shame, cos SACD is good.

Last edited:
You mean the totally tubular Prologue 8? Hi-Fi News have just given it highly commended... 80% for sound. Sez it's a great player for analogue lovers...
That's the one. Only 80%? TAS gave it a really glowing review, and our own Mr. Dorgay seems to really like it (of course HFN may not have had the upgrade boards installed, the same as Stereophile). BUT, I want to listen for myself first. Fortunately the dealer in Montreal is also a ML dealer. Saving furiously for it !

Actually, 80% is pretty good for HFN. It did have the upgrade board in. Ditch the stock tubes for some nicer NOS ones, and it'll be better still, I am sure.

If they are within your budget, I would suggest that you also take a look at the USB DAC's from Wavelength Audio. I heard the Brick at a dealer and it sounded quite nice. They are totally tubular.;)
http://www.usbdacs.com/

That ARC looks nice! There's also the Benchmark DAC1 USB and Musical Fidelity X-DAC v8. Cambridge Audio have also just released the new USB? DACMAGIC.

I can't recommend it, cos it's new, but I have been looking at this - great connectivity. Got to be worth a dem. Trouble is, no tubes to take away the SS sterility...:) Possible it does sound good, though. I suspect being an AR, it will be good.

http://www.audioresearch.com/DAC7.html

Integrated CD players offer, by design, many benefits. Transport and DAC in one box (save space / money), no cabling issues between the two (save money / minimize clocking errors and jitter artifacts), and minimize connectivity related issues between DAC and transport ( better performance / less jitter all other things being equal).

Then there's the inevitable question of how much money one needs to spend to substantially outperform an integrated unit. And then there's the system itself. Can one realize the benefits of separates given the inherent resolving power of the system in question?

My sense is that when one compares some of the top integrated units with separates, you are really at the questionable point of extra dollars equating to a substantial improvement in quality.

Based on my experience and my system, I would be reluctant to entertain the separates option.

But then again, if you are committed to the IMAC as a storage / transport device, a separate DAC may be the best option although many high quality integrated's offer a digital input for other sources. And going this route gives you the option of buying / playing CD's if that is a desireable user feature.

GG

Last edited:
The downside it that most SACD players are integrated... not sure there is a transport that will output it - or has that changed?

Well, dcs, Esoteric, Accuphase, Meitner and Denon all have separate transport/DAC solutions for Multi channel SACD. All of course are uniquely propritery, so you'll have to decide which solution you like and stick to it - no mixing and matching. Also, none of them are cheap to say the least.

If I had the coin though (roughly $30K), I'd drop it on an Esoteric D03/P03 combo in a heartbeat and add a couple of the G05 clocks as well (another $16K) - that would be one state of the art digital setup!

That's the one. Only 80%? TAS gave it a really glowing review, and our own Mr. Dorgay seems to really like it (of course HFN may not have had the upgrade boards installed, the same as Stereophile). BUT, I want to listen for myself first. Fortunately the dealer in Montreal is also a ML dealer. Saving furiously for it !

I thought the TAS review was 'ok'...The original reviewer seemed to be giving it a 'so-so' review - and one of the main writers put in a sidebar talking it up a bit - but if I recall they seemed to talk about it being a bit soft and less articulate - then in the same breath talked about what a great player it was. They then discussed upgrading the board... Then they came back with a follow up review in the next month... I've never heard it - so I can't comment on it - but, it sure was not on par with the review given the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C(I think it is a 'C')...Seems to me like TAS really seems to like the Prima Luna products...

I thought the TAS review was 'ok'...The original reviewer seemed to be giving it a 'so-so' review - and one of the main writers put in a sidebar talking it up a bit - but if I recall they seemed to talk about it being a bit soft and less articulate - then in the same breath talked about what a great player it was. They then discussed upgrading the board... Then they came back with a follow up review in the next month... I've never heard it - so I can't comment on it - but, it sure was not on par with the review given the Cambridge Audio Azur 840C(I think it is a 'C')...Seems to me like TAS really seems to like the Prima Luna products...
It was Stereophile that gave it an "ok" review and came back with a follow-up. TAS reviewed it with the upgraded board the first time and raved about it, more than they did the Cambridge. In any case, in my ears I trust.

Latest posts

Back