What Audio related publication do you get?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
I don't want this to turn into a magazine bashing thread so please be kind. post audio/video ONLY. If you want to discuss cars, cigars or anything else go to off topic.:D I'm a phene and don't want to search the thread.:D

I get The Absolute Sound & Stereophile. I personally find them very useful and enjoyable to read.

What do you get? *Be Kind*

The Absolute Sound, Stereophile, and Robb Report Home Entertainment.

Stereophile (print), and about 5-6 online audio sites that I regularly browse (ML Club, A'gon, Audioasylum, Audiocircle, 6moons, Slimdevices) plus a few others from time to time (Audioholics, Enjoy the Music, Positive Feedback). I have an "Audio" category of IE Favorites, for quick and easy surfing. I also have a bunch of audio bookmarks in my Treo web browser, for remote browsing when time allows.

Hey, this thread just gave me an idea for a poll, which I'll post separately.

Home Theater, Stereophile, TAS, Hi-Fi, The Perfect Vision, Inner Ear, Robb Report Home Theater, and I think there are a few others I am forgetting. I don't buy them every month and a few of them I actually subscribe to. Now that the HT system is pretty well established till I can afford an addition to the house I will probably not be getting as many of these...

Let’s see:

Print: Home Theater, WidescreenReview, The Perfect Vision, Sound & Vision.

Online: ML-Club, AVSForum, AudioHolics, DIYAudio.com, Cult of the Infinitely baffled, Audiogon.

Comments: Dropping WSreview due to lame content. Great movie listings, but the rest adds little value. TPV’s new format is now too much like HT or S&V, the deep articles they used to have are gone, so reconsidering that one as well.

In the online space, I hang mostly on AVS and here (MLOC).

The Abso!ute Sound, Stereophile, HiFi+ (my favorite), TPV, and an occasional Grammophone and Robb Report.

The Absolute Sound and Stereophile.

But my favorite of the two is definitely TAS.

I thought about subscribing to HiFi+, but it's more geared towards European readers (I think) and it's far more expensive than the 12$ that Stereophile charges and the $21 that TAS charges.

Joey

TAS / idea for a new website topic

I currrently subscribe to TAS and TPV. As JonFo stated, TPV has gone so commercial I am not going to renew. My main interest in reading these magazines is for music and movie reviews. TPV used to be excellent but their software reviews no longer exist. Bummer.

As an aside, I would like to get some members thoughts on a new music category / dedicated topic that currently doesn't exist on the website, that category / topic being "recent - new" releases.

As an example, I recently bought the Mark Feldman / What Exit CD (pretty abstract jazz quartet consisting of violin, piano, acoustic bass, and percussion) and the Arcade Fire / Neon Bible CD, one of the most original Rock CD's I've heard in a long time. Both of these CD's were recently listed as the TAS "Recording of the Issue".

What sayeth you members and most importantly, our Honorable Webmaster regarding this "new topic" idea.

GG

Last edited:
I have every issue that TAS ever published. I subscribed since issue #5 and ordered the missing issues soon after. I've subscribed to S'phile since the early 80's. I've had subscriptions to Listener (now gone,) Fi (now gone,) and many others that no longer exist. I also subscribe to HIFI+ and HiFI Choice. The latter 2 are both British. Frankly, I don't think the American mags are what they used to be. Their lack of criticism and failure to be forthright are bothersome.

Anything that has gear that interests me.

Stereophile, HiFi+ on a most regular basis.

Then HiFi World, HiFi News, TAS, and finally Australia HiFi - this is a bit of a joke compared to the others, but occasionally has some good stuff.

I used to love Stereo Review, and have every issue of their "Annual Equipment Guide" going back to the late 1970's. The great thing about that Guide was that they listed EVERYTHING available in the USA, not just gear from their advertisers. When they went AV, I think they became a lot less interesting and truthful. I think it's now called Home Theater or something like that. I keep the old "Equipment Guides" because I like to buy older gear (used), and these mags give me an idea as to how sweet a deal I'm getting. Like the pair of DCM shelf speakers I got in a Goodwill for $12.99 in pristine condition (not even a nick in the grill cloths!) Or the Technics TD-1350 I got, complete with the original accessory kit, manual, and pristine dust cover, for $19 at a second-hand store in VA...

I've been a fan of $ensible Sound for years. It's not nearly as slick as the "big boys", but the writing is very good, and they cover gear that normal people can afford.

http://www.sensiblesound.com/

I'll admit that I occasionally buy Stereophile and TAS, even though they are both VERY biased toward their advertisers, and have become essentially "catalogs by subscription" for their advertisers. When Stereophile started bashing Bob Carver, they completely lost their credibility with me.

I occasionally buy some of the British hifi mags now and then, mostly for the advertisements, to see what the high-end companies are coming out with...

All that said, there is actually a pretty good review of the Slim Designs Transporter in the January 2007 issue of Stereophile. It's one of the first objective reviews of "affordable" digital gear I've seen in that rag in years...

I occasionally pick up the Rob Report Guide, to see how "the other half lives". I currently can't afford the rooms and gear in that mag, but it's nice to look at other people's systems, and dream.

Some other good magazines in our topic, though not specifically about gear (more about music) are "The Audiophile Voice" and "Gramophone". TAV is sort of like a cross between "$sensible Sound" and "The Absolute Sound", in that they DO review some super-high-end gear, but they also have some reasonable gear. They also have good record reviews.

http://www.audiophilevoice.com/

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/

Gramophone is a British mag, and primarily covers Classical recordings. They sprinkle in a few equipment reviews here and there, but it's mostly about the recordings. If you're into Classical, this is THE mag to get. Oh, and the Jan'07 issue has a very favorable 1-page review of the SlimDevices Transporter too. Oh, and the advertisements are VERY interesting--the British hi-fi scene is still VERY into vinyl, and so there are a LOT of turntable-related ads--tweeks, tonearms, cables, platters, etc...

And on a more "tweaky" note, I'd recommend that EVERYONE who is interested in tweaking their gear get a copy of the catalog (or visit the website) of a company called "American Science & Surplus":

http://www.sciplus.com/

These guys have a LOT of interesting junk, most of which , admittedly, has NO use whatsoever in the hi-fi arena, but every now and then, you'll find something that is VERY useful for a steal of a price. Stuff like Sorbothane sheeting, or ball bearings, or Chamois cloths, or cork sheeting, or all sorts ot micro-tools (loupes, screwdrivers, grabbers, etc). You get the picture. You're not going to find EXACTLY what you want in every catalog, but almost every catalog has SOMETHING in it that an audio-tweaker would just LOVE to have...

--Richard C.

I must defend TAS, Stereophile, etc on a common critique...

The most successful magazines can charge the most for
advertising. One full-page ad is typically $100K. Only
larger, established manufacturers can afford such an
expensive advertising budget. Second, it is very rare for a
large, successful audio company to produce truly awful
gear. They have the luxury of not releasing a product until
it betters the current market. Third, manufacturers normally
send only their best gear for review; which is exactly what
the most successful mags desire for prestige. The result is
that most reviews from big advertisers are positive. Some
negative reviews do appear, but it's usually a new company
or a more exotic product. Hence, the undeserved reputation
slowly evolves. I think this is inevitable for any review
magazine.

I subscribe to TAS and stereophile and visit these favorites on the web...

Attachments

• 137312065-L.jpg
    137312065-L.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 85
Back