What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adele - 25.

First song "Hello" and third song " I miss you", very very good.

Other than these 2 songs the remaining not much fun to listen to.

Just my subjective opinion.

She DOES have a great voice. Too bad whoever mixes/masters her albums destroys much of the ability to appreciate it by dynamically compressing the life out of them. Her CDs have a dynamic range (DR) of 5+/- on a scale of 0-20. I understand the unwritten "industry guideline" is 8! Interestingly, the DR of the vinyl release of 25 has a DR of about 11. I guess she/they figure audiophiles will buy the vinyl!?

Not saying I do not listen to her albums...just do not enjoy them as much as I might.

Last edited:
She DOES have a great voice. Too bad whoever mixes/masters her albums destroys much of the ability to appreciate it by dynamically compressing the life out of them. Her CDs have a dynamic range (DR) of 5+/- on a scale of 0-20. I understand the unwritten "industry guideline" is 8! Interestingly, the DR of the vinyl release of 25 has a DR of about 11. I guess she/they figure audiophiles will buy the vinyl!?

Not saying I do not listen to her albums...just do not enjoy them as much as I might.

I agree with you about her having an amazing voice. I not know about the decibel range of her albums. i agree with your information in the rest of your post.

Have fun listening to music.

I agree with you about her having an amazing voice. I not know about the decibel range of her albums. i agree with your information in the rest of your post.

Have fun listening to music.

Not that Dynamic Range (DR) is the arbiter of what I listen to but find this website tremendously helpful for getting insight into the sound quality of an album...

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=ADELE&album=25

It amazes me how many artists are compressing the heck out of their releases (presumably to cater to portable audio users)...even those from whom you would expect otherwise!
David Bowie's Blackstar is pretty low DR as well. Interestingly, the vinyl release of "25" is quite good DR-wise.

JR Music Center also has the capability of measuring DR. Pretty sure other server software has option as well.

Not that Dynamic Range (DR) is the arbiter of what I listen to but find this website tremendously helpful for getting insight into the sound quality of an album...

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=ADELE&album=25

It amazes me how many artists are compressing the heck out of their releases (presumably to cater to portable audio users)...even those from whom you would expect otherwise!
David Bowie's Blackstar is pretty low DR as well. Interestingly, the vinyl release of "25" is quite good DR-wise.

JR Music Center also has the capability of measuring DR. Pretty sure other server software has option as well.

Know little about dynamic range of CD. During the first half of 90s my uncle lent us Pioneer integrated amp and cassette player. The cassette player had a db range meter. This was before my father purchased the CLS and Sony CD player and integrated amp. The Sony was a player and not have recorder function so I guess that is the reason why not have db meter. Marantaz and Denon both have no meters. JRiver MC 20 I have not explored in detail. I play my main desktop drive music and a occasional movie using JRiver software. I also experimented with the DSP engine of this software. Now that you point out that JRiver has DR measurement I have managed to find it under Advanced Tools. Thanks for pointing out. Though I still do not see a active db meter. Not used JRiver too much. Reason busy listening to Internet radio. No fixed pattern though of listening to music.

Know little about dynamic range of CD. During the first half of 90s my uncle lent us Pioneer integrated amp and cassette player. The cassette player had a db range meter. This was before my father purchased the CLS and Sony CD player and integrated amp. The Sony was a player and not have recorder function so I guess that is the reason why not have db meter. Marantaz and Denon both have no meters. JRiver MC 20 I have not explored in detail. I play my main desktop drive music and a occasional movie using JRiver software. I also experimented with the DSP engine of this software. Now that you point out that JRiver has DR measurement I have managed to find it under Advanced Tools. Thanks for pointing out. Though I still do not see a active db meter. Not used JRiver too much. Reason busy listening to Internet radio. No fixed pattern though of listening to music.

No DR meters in JRMC that I know of other than those for frequency of the track being played back at the top of the screen. DR not quite the same as infor provided by VU meters on tape decks from what I read...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VU_meter

DR is a calculated value which provides a relative measure of compression...

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Dynamic_Range

Adele ~ 25, 'A Million Years Ago'

I'm beyond obsessed with this song, playing on the ML's or late at night on the AKG 601's, I hate getting old, Damn you Adele!

Adele ~ 25, 'A Million Years Ago'

I'm beyond obsessed with this song, playing on the ML's or late at night on the AKG 601's, I hate getting old, Damn you Adele!

Just watched her "Live At The BBC" hosted by Graham Norton. Fantastic concert with her singing many favorites including "A Million Years Ago". Just wish the sound quality of her recordings was better which would make her singing even more enjoyable!

I agree, 'Live in London' on BBC America is a must see!! She has grown up and can do some amazing things with her vocal cords, she can really go deep with the vibrato, then jump into a soar of smokie lovelyness :cool:

I hear a panel vibration when cranking her, is that the shitty recording or her overloading a set of tones? Anyone else hear that?

Back