What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working from home for the next 3 months... Will be listening to music the whole time... Life is good!! :)

Porcupine_tree_the_sky_moves_sideways.jpg

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways

Based on your high recommendation, I ordered a copy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038AN4J8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I just started to dig back through this thread. There is some great material in there!!!!

(RCHG referring to Tom's recommendation of Lark's Tongues in Aspic). I'll never forget Derek Jewell's review back in 1973 before the album was released (BBC's "Sounds Interesting" late night radio show).
His words were, "Symphonic...almost histrionic....certainly brilliant."
Can't say more than that ;^)

RCHG, you should try the live album "Earthbound". It may not be to everyone's tastes and was appallingly recorded (i.e. on a 2-track cassette recorder in a van complete with random DR compression). In fact it was so bad it was lucky to have made it onto vinyl but it's the "rawest" KC set you will ever hear.
The Earthbound version of "A Sailor's Tale" is outstanding and it also contains the most belligerent version of "21st Century Schizoid Man" of all time.
Ring Modulator lovers will be in 7th heaven. :D :D

Right now I'm looking for music that was recorded and mastered well. I just ordered "In Absentia" and I'm trying to slow down acquiring new music for a while. I recently added a few hours of new music to the iPod for my car which has a pretty good for a car stereo in it, but I felt like I was only getting glimmers of the music.

It's interesting because sometimes your mind will fill in the "blanks" when you are listening to music and other times not so much. I find that I enjoy my car stereo more if I haven't haven't heard my home stereo for a while.

No worries, my friend ;^)

I have to go back 25 years before I can recall really enjoying a car stereo!
Mostly I drive with the volume turned all the way down to near inaudibility :O

No worries, my friend ;^)

I have to go back 25 years before I can recall really enjoying a car stereo!
Mostly I drive with the volume turned all the way down to near inaudibility :O

It's ironic, but for the last 25 years my car stereo is all that I listened to. My college stereo collected dust and I gave it away.
I got a USB DAC/headphone amp and some reference head phones, but after the new wore off that collected dust too.
I do have a Mid-Fi 5.1 system OPPO BD, Samsung TV, Yamaha, Definitive, Velodyne that I use for movies, but that is not the same thing.

Friday morning my wife flies out to hike up in Maine.
Friday evening I have a crowd of Foosball players coming over.

A few of them play in bands and want to hear the new stereo. I expect to achieve some serious volume on the stereo and hear some crunchy guitars :)

My downstairs fridge is ready for them, but I'll have a 96 quart cooler with plenty of ice waiting for whatever else they bring.
beerfridge.jpg

Last edited:
It's ironic, but for the last 25 years my car stereo is all that I listened to. My college stereo collected dust and I gave it away.
Friday morning my wife flies out to hike up in Maine.
Friday evening I have a crowd of Foosball players coming over.

A few of them play in bands and want to hear the new stereo. I expect to achieve some serious volume on the stereo and hear some crunchy guitars :)
View attachment 18044

Lol! You should be aware, Mark, that a roomful of drunken slobs has quite a high absorption factor! :D :D
Come to think of it, a roomful of sober slobs has the same absorption factor. :D

All the best for Friday evening. Hope it goes well :)

Playing right now:

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe
An Evening of Yes Music Plus

This is an amazing live recording.

Really enjoyed listening to the entire album Porcupine Tree's In Absentia yesterday!
Just ordered "An Evening of Yes Music Plus".

Camping out here for the music recommendations alone is totally worth it!

Yesterday I ripped 129 tracks. I'm finding some music lends itself well to playlists ( as in a few good songs on a CD ) and other music really does play well together as a complete album.

Really enjoyed listening to the entire album Porcupine Tree's In Absentia yesterday!
Just ordered "An Evening of Yes Music Plus".

Camping out here for the music recommendations alone is totally worth it!

Yesterday I ripped 129 tracks. I'm finding some music lends itself well to playlists ( as in a few good songs on a CD ) and other music really does play well together as a complete album.

Glad you're digging it, Mark!

Gene - Olympian

Brit-gene-Olympian.jpg

Gene was one of those bands that never really got noticed here in the states. I heard "For the Dead" on a sampler CD that a friend gave me and I was hooked.. Thought it was The Smiths..

London’s Gene spent their entire career being compared to the Smiths. Arguably the most emotive band in Britpop, Gene had a knack for writing heartbreaking lyrics and melodies, and Olympian contains their biggest pop hits, including “Haunted By You,” “Left-Handed,” and “London Can You Wait?”

Lol! You should be aware, Mark, that a roomful of drunken slobs has quite a high absorption factor! :D :D
Come to think of it, a roomful of sober slobs has the same absorption factor. :D

All the best for Friday evening. Hope it goes well :)

I learned about Ballmer's Peak last night :)

We listened to a pile of music after playing lots of Foosball.

They loved some tracks from Eric Clapton and Alice in Chains Unpluged albums.

The one that had them floored was Kendra Shank Afterglow

Track 1, "Almost Blue" has an amazing sound stage and she sounds like she is singing right in front of you.

51DQGtUKV-L.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Afterglow-Kendra-Shank-Larry-Willis/dp/B00000FBSH

Another was the C-Nuts "Blitzkrieg Bop & Other Jazz Mutations" Track 6 "Shock the monkey" sounds great and the singers voice is intense!

http://www.amazon.com/Blitzkrieg-Bo...ie=UTF8&qid=1434804580&sr=1-1&keywords=C-Nuts

One of my fave bands..

Elo_Eldorado.jpg

ELO - Eldorado
this is the remastered version... a couple bonus tracks on here that are very nice. The Eldorado Instrumental Medley is awesome.

Latest posts

Back