What about ML E2

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allen,

You need to dream a little bigger than that... it is a DREAM remember! It can be ANYTHING! That is like saying my neighbor next door is my dream girl, vs. the Playmate of the Year around the corner (I guess that would all depend on where you live and who you live by...)

How about this for a dream car... Mercedes E55 AMG Estate?! Elegant, FAST, reliable, exotic, and exclusive! I would prefer a custom one off Ferrari or McLaren if we are REALLY dreaming here though!

You are not supposed to be able to attain the DREAM, and if you do you resight to something higher still! YMMV!

And that is where a big difference exists. One person's dream is another's reality. Dream speaker is one of the big Soundlabs with the appropriate room but the room has to be a living room not a mock studio. As Jonfo pointed out careful consideration and likely a lot of money.

Dream car - start with Sti and Qcar it. Get the bonnet off, get the wing off, get the badging off, sort the interior, front mount, quiet 3" TBE, remap the ECU and have an everyday secret weapon. Of course there are better cars but this I could park anywhere and use and cart the kids around in. As above YMMV

Kevin

Dream car - start with Sti and Qcar it. Get the bonnet off, get the wing off, get the badging off, sort the interior, front mount, quiet 3" TBE, remap the ECU and have an everyday secret weapon. Of course there are better cars but this I could park anywhere and use and cart the kids around in. As above YMMV

Kevin,

I get it, but still, that sounds like something most folks on this list could probably make happen, if not today certainly in time for the younger folks. If you went a few years used it would be down right cheap to make that happen. I say DREAM BIG, LIVE BIG!

With A Lot Of Help...

I know...How would you even MOVE THEM!
James,

I couldn't move them at all... I have a very delicate back. Plus I am not very strong, you know..., no upper body strength. Anyway, I was going to hire my son and his friends to move them for me. Of course I would have had to take out a loan to purchase those beautiful Zebra e2's.... Ho Humm... Maybe in the next life.:)

Kevin,

I get it, but still, that sounds like something most folks on this list could probably make happen, if not today certainly in time for the younger folks. If you went a few years used it would be down right cheap to make that happen. I say DREAM BIG, LIVE BIG!

You may well be right but we have spent a lot more on audio equipment and music than we have ever spent on cars - the kids don't come cheap either.

Kevin

You may well be right but we have spent a lot more on audio equipment and music than we have ever spent on cars - the kids don't come cheap either.

Kevin

I don't have kids, but I know they are expensive... I have spent more on cars! Probably about 3X more... That is saying something when total A/V - HT purchases cross the $50k mark too! YUCK! I hate even THINKING about that!:eek:

I don't have kids, but I know they are expensive... I have spent more on cars! Probably about 3X more... That is saying something when total A/V - HT purchases cross the $50k mark too! YUCK! I hate even THINKING about that!:eek:
In the end, it's all about priorities. My friend's parents put 3 kids through top notch colleges (like Northwestern) at $40K a piece/year.... that's a pair of E2s each time x4, cash. Translated to material goods, that's 1xE2... 1xFerrari F430... 1xAston Martin Vantage.... and a little under $100,000 cash left over.

If you can afford an E2, there's little you cant afford. And if one has to think about how to afford an E2, then it's probably prudent not to even try.

An E2 is a dream for almost all of us... but atleast we have other MLs and other great speakers to satisfy us in reality.

Last edited:
Allen,

You need to dream a little bigger than that... it is a DREAM remember! It can be ANYTHING! That is like saying my neighbor next door is my dream girl, vs. the Playmate of the Year around the corner (I guess that would all depend on where you live and who you live by...)

How about this for a dream car... Mercedes E55 AMG Estate?! Elegant, FAST, reliable, exotic, and exclusive! I would prefer a custom one off Ferrari or McLaren if we are REALLY dreaming here though!

You are not supposed to be able to attain the DREAM, and if you do you resight to something higher still! YMMV!

I know it sounds stupid, but it really is a my dream car.

I am a Subaru fan. I love world rally championship. And I love wagons. It is the best car I would ever want.

-Allen

Martin Logans Statement speaker system. The ultimate "What if..."

Their was a pair on sale about a year ago on Audiogon in Zebra wood, whatever that is... for $40K in Southern California. I wish, I had purchased them, I bet I could have got them for $30K - $35K, a U-Haul my son and a couple of days they would have been mine. Oh well Say-Al-Vee...

With the size of your listening room, there's no way you'd get them in there...:) (suspended by wires maybe) :D

Somewhere, some place, another E2 system is eventually going to show up on the used market. Those of us standing knee-deep in our own drool will probably (if only for a few minutes) put common sense and practicality aside while penning up a *new* budget.....
I can handle not owning a Statement system, but its nice to dream. I dont know if I could take ALMOST owning a Statement system (!)

Tj

You need to dream a little bigger than that... it is a DREAM remember!
<snip>

Maybe I am just too darned pragmatic, but, I would prefer NOT to have an exotic car since I would worry too much about it. I *like* having a seven year old Acura Integra. It's in good shape, fun to drive, reliable, and PAID FOR. Even better, I've been under the hood enough times, I know my way around it and can diagnose and repair it pretty easily. If I get yet another stone chip while driving down the road: oh well. And I don't worry much about it getting stolen, either.

If I had an uber-exotic car, I'd constantly be WORRYING about "What if it got hit, got stolen, broke, et cetera?" Just finding someone to work on it would be a problem. Adding stress to my life is not high on my list of things to do. So, in this respect, a "dream car," for me, includes the ability to maintain it and enjoy it without constantly worrying about it.

So, for me, the dream car is somewhat more modest: an Acura TL, possibly a Type-S.

This is probably why I drive Japanese imports...little worry...they just keep going and going...and I can spend more time doing the things I enjoy...like playing with my stereo. :)

As for real dreams...and this may sound pathetic, but I dream of having enough in the bank to provide for my loving family and to retire comfortably with a lot less worry and stress in my life. No car...and not even a pair of E2's is going to compete with that for me!

I know...How would you even MOVE THEM!

Just doing the suwoofer placement and panel toe-in would be PAIN! I guess if you can afford them, you can afford a pair of big guys with white gloves on for a few hours to move 'em for ya!

Do you think there are ETC spikes for the Statement? If so, can you imagine the amount of weight concentrated on those points?

Maybe I am just too darned pragmatic, but, I would prefer NOT to have an exotic car since I would worry too much about it.

. . .

As for real dreams...and this may sound pathetic, but I dream of having enough in the bank to provide for my loving family and to retire comfortably with a lot less worry and stress in my life. No car...and not even a pair of E2's is going to compete with that for me!

Dan, it sounds to me like you have your head screwed on straight. Your priorities are definitely in the right order. But yes, you are way too pragmatic. The whole point of dreaming is pretending that you can have whatever you want and there is no stress or worry involved.

As for me, I would take any of the Mercedes AMG cars, or maybe the SLR McLaren would be just fine. Honestly, I don't know about a pair of Statements, though. For that kind of money, I would probably lean toward the Avant-Garde Trios or the MBL 101e's and spend the difference on electronics and cabling.

Does not sound pathetic, but maybe a little like you are trying to be Miss America or something. I guess you are having a tough time removing reality from your DREAMS! By virtue of the fact we call them dreams they are things that are not likely to come true and they can be as outrageous as your imagination can come up with... That is the BEAUTY of DREAMS... it can be whatever you want.

I would hardly call an Acura TL type S a dream... more likely an unrealized probability. In all likelyhood you will probably have one of those if you REALLY get to where you want one bad enough. Probably no matter how bad you might want a NEW Ferrari you won't be able to get it. At least not without a big pay raise... I WILL have a USED Ferrari someday, but it would be a real dream to have a NEW ONE that I ordered from the factory and had built just for me! I would need a SUPER HUGE pay increase to get a new F-car!

As for me, I would take any of the Mercedes AMG cars, or maybe the SLR McLaren would be just fine. Honestly, I don't know about a pair of Statements, though. For that kind of money, I would probably lean toward the Avant-Garde Trios or the MBL 101e's and spend the difference on electronics and cabling.

Rich,

I am with you on that one! Full 7.4 HT all w/ MBL gear would work for me! Nice electronics, etc. too!

I like the AMG cars. I have had friends w/ them that had nothing but trouble though! Way to much trouble for what they cost, that is FOR SURE!

Does not sound pathetic, but maybe a little like you are trying to be Miss America or something. I guess you are having a tough time removing reality from your DREAMS! By virtue of the fact we call them dreams they are things that are not likely to come true and they can be as outrageous as your imagination can come up with... That is the BEAUTY of DREAMS... it can be whatever you want.

I think I get the concept of a dream, but the fundamental difference is, perhaps, my dreams are more inclusive of the total picture. They don't really include an exotic supercar since, like I said, the first emotions I feel when considering it are stress just thinking about what I'd do with it...how to insure it, care for it, protect it...aack...that sounds like WORK!

As for the original dream of a comfortable retirement: watching my 20-year older peers at work suffer while their corporate pensions are pulled out from under them in what they thought was their final years at the same time that there is so much uncertainty in the technology field (threats of outsourcing, et cetera) makes it clear to me that having a comfortable stress-free and secure retirement is by no means a sure thing, so it is clearly part of my vision for paradise and, at this point in my life, seems a lot more like a dream than a certainty or eventuality. That's why even the thought of having a beaucoup-bucks supercar couldn't be more counter to the dreams I have that bring peace and relaxation.

Latest posts

Back