Weight Loss Advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that is the case (that you didn't gain any) means that your caloric intake is equal to your caloric burning- just cut out a few more calories and you will be set! Remember that chicken and turkey and veggies are your friends and anything fried is bad.... should help you out on your road diet!
Nik

I'm trying to lose 10 pounds.... I've started off slow.

I work out regularly (weights), but I hadn't done any cardio exercises.... so I started by adding some running to my regimen.

Add to that the fact that I've cut off pop/soda from my diet and I've tried to eat 80% of what I used to eat and I'm hoping to be dropping the pounds slowly but surely.

My wake up call was seeing that I had actually developed a "tummy" in the mirror after a shower... that was weird...

Joey - you're easy to solve.

Just buy a pair of CLXs and you can eat nothing but a string or two of ramen for the next six months.

I'm getting serious

I usually only weigh myself once a week, on Mondays. But I couldn't "weight" till Monday becuase things have been going very well.

I'm down to 215 pounds, meaning I've lost 11 pounds in 12 days.

Here's how I did it.
I was out of town 2 weeks ago and couldn't excercise regularly, so I had to watch my calorie intake, I also gave up my morning and afternoon Monster Energy Drink and haven't had one in the last 2 weeks.

No special diet, I started writing down in a little notebook everything I ate for the day and the calories of the foods. I limited myself to 1,500 to 1,800 calories a day. When I first started doing this I went to bed the first few nights hungry, but by keeping a notebook it made me aware of what I was eating and also forced me to make wiser choices on what I ate throughout the day. I had a few days where I lived on less than 1,200 calories. Now I can usually make it to dinner and have 500 to 1,000 calories left for the day so I don't have to skimp on dinner.

I've also worked out for the last 9 days straight and will continue to not take days off. I alternate days between running,(right now it's more like shuffling), and weight lifting. I tried the suggestion Eknuds had about alternating sets between upper and lower body when working out, but that didn't work becuase the first day I did that my legs were so tired my run the next day sucked. So now when I lift it's only upper body.My last 4 runs I've logged 20.5 miles, just over a 5 mile average, 3 runs of 5.4 miles and 1 of 4.5,(the day after lifting with my legs). Within 2 weeks I'll be attempting a 7.1 mile run already have the course mapped out.

Also am looking into purchasing a bike so I can get in some aerobic activity with out the pounding my old body is taking with these runs.

Thanks for everyones advice, just 20 more pounds to 195.

Last edited:
Man Wayne.... you got some dedication right there. I have avoided pop for 3 weeks now and I have been trying to watch how much I eat (though I get tempted a lot lately). I lift weights regularly (3-4d per week) and have been adding some running to my regimen (usually 1 mile each time).

My question to you is how are you running 3-5 miles at a time? Were you a runner before?

Are you using a treadmill?

My experience was that I could run much further on a treadmill than on the open road.

My question to you is how are you running 3-5 miles at a time? Were you a runner before?

Are you using a treadmill?

My experience was that I could run much further on a treadmill than on the open road.

Joey,
Yes I've run off and on most of my life. Last 20 years or so I've only run during the summer months and it has not been a priority of mine.

My last completed marathon was 22 years ago and for the next few years after that I was heavily into Triathlons, then got sidetracked completely when I got hooked into the Skydiving scene.

I have a treadmill but don't care for it, I do my running on the open road, gives you a much better workout than a treadmill.

Wayne,
Be careful about your calorie intake. Consistently taking in Less than 1500 calories a day may kick your body into conservation mode (as a defence mechanism) after a while. Which means that as soon as you start eating "normal" it might want to immediately pack on the pounds. This happened to me two summors ago. Over a two week period of taking time off the diet, but still working out, I gained 10lbs. I was completely at flabbergasted on why it happened for a long time.

Wayne,
Be careful about your calorie intake. Consistently taking in Less than 1500 calories a day may kick your body into conservation mode (as a defence mechanism) after a while. Which means that as soon as you start eating "normal" it might want to immediately pack on the pounds.

Bob,
Maybe that's why I'm no good at chess, I don't think past the first move.

Never gave a second thought about the next step, I just wanted to drop weight fast. I know my body has adjusted to the reduced calories because I'm not constantly hungry anymore.

So what do I do next, just gradually raise my calorie consumption up to normal over a few weeks.

On another note, I'm gonna have to kick up my workouts a notch, I made the mistake of timing myself for my 5.4 mile run this evening. It took me 55 minutes:eek: I'm terribly out of shape. 20 years ago I could run 10 miles in under an hour without much effort.

Back