Watch out for DEER!!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOUNTAIN

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd post a couple pics of what happens when you drive at night around here in Georgia and kiss a deer.:sad: My wife hit him last night on her way to work. We're grateful that only the car was damaged and nothing happened to her. So be careful and look for those gleaming eyes on the side of the road.;)

BTW: Anyone up for deer chili?:D

Glen

Attachments

• email5.jpg
    email5.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 156
  • email.jpg
    email.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 157
This time of year with the males in the rutt will cause them to do things they would never do otherwise. More road kill in Oct / Nov than all other months combined. Thankfully she was not hurt, sheet metal is easily replaced.

This time of year with the males in the rutt will cause them to do things they would never do otherwise. More road kill in Oct / Nov than all other months combined. Thankfully she was not hurt, sheet metal is easily replaced.
Well if you only were allowed it for as many times in two months wouldn't you be out running all day and night ! :D

Yes they do stupid things this time of year. Thinking with the little head instead of the big one ! Glad no one was hurt !

Glad to hear all but the car is alright. I can't imagine hitting one, it would definitely be time to change the shorts.

We have a lot of deer through our property each day/night.

I learned how true the comment of "deer in the head lights" is. They will just stand facing you as though they think if they don't move you can't see them.

I realize they are also trying not to get shot.

They are pretty but "pretty smart" is not a statement I would make about them.

We put corn out almost every night just to watch them.

During this time of year the males all seem to hang out together and clearly rule the food.

In the summer when the females show up with the new fawns all hell brakes loose.

The males can be standing eating grass not near the corn and a female will walk over and give him a hoof to the back of the head.

I told my wife it was just like humans and she felt obliged to give me a dope slap in the back of the head and walk away smiling.

Brad 225,

You actually pointed out a rather interesting and much overlooked factor, "that they are trying not to get shot". I served on a Department of Natural Resources committee for several years and we were shown statistics that a high percentage of car deer accidents not only occurred and coincided with the hunting season but were in fact directly linked to hunting activity in the early morning and early evening, during hunting season which is exactly when hunters are most active within deer zones themselves. The rut actually lasts much longer than the hunting season but statistically the deer car accidents spike big time during the early morning and early evening of the actual hunting season. As for smart deer, I have a couple that would change your mind as to how smart they are. We had a couple of deer brought to us when my wife was a wildlife rehabber and one of the deer watched me flip the lock on the gate into the deer enclosure. After I walked out and went into the house, I looked out at the enclosure two minutes later and saw the buck flip the lock open with his teeth and walk out of the enclosure. I thought it was generally accepted that deer could not problem solve, but I guess that perception was wrong. We had to put a double lock on the gate to discourage him. We had a second deer that was a kleptomaniac and he would steal anything that was not tied down when it came into the enclosure. He would take hammers, nail bags, screw drivers, anything and everything that he could carry off in his mouth. if you want exercise try to catch a deer when they are able to run in a 5 acre enclosure, you can't catch them. But you can get them to return by calling them and offering a treat, kind of smart on their part. We also discerned every deer that we cared for had a distinct personality with unique behaviors and attitudes.
We even had some that took a shining to music and liked to play with lawn sprinklers. I never played my Logans outdoors but their were two that liked to come up and stand next to the window in the barn and seemed to listen to the music. Anyways, the original warning that started this post still stands. Beware of Deer they may be running for their life and literally don't see a car as a threat as big as a human and a rifle.

Beware of Deer they may be running for their life and literally don't see a car as a threat as big as a human and a rifle.

good point, but FWIW, here in Pa, only archery is open at the present time, our 'gun' season opens the Monday after Thanksgiving.

I-80 which runs through the northern half of our state is a 'Road kill alley' this time of year. Pa is know to have more road kill than all the legally harvested dear in the NE Quadrent of the US !

Update

Well, the repair shop called me today and gave me a preliminary estimate on my car: $5,500. It may go up more depending on what he finds as he takes the car apart. I sure am glad for insurance, but I do wish I had changed my deductible before this weekend:(. Since this ordeal, I called my insurance company and changed my policy so if there is a next time then it won't be quite so painful. Anyway, thank you guys for your concern. I'll post some pics when it gets repaired.

Fountain, wow, glad your family is OK.

I drive 50 miles each way to work, and much of that is through north Georgia mountain forested areas, and I've had to brake hard, swerve and do all kinds of maneuvers to avoid redesigning my hood as pictured above.

One of the important aspects to avoiding hitting them is to be constantly looking at the edges of the road. That's saved me twice in the past few years.

And yes, just had venison the other day, as friend does hunt (compound bow). ;)

Along those lines... there is never just one deer, even if that's all that you see. One will bolt and be followed shortly thereafter by several more, generally following the first even if that brings them into your path.

Around here near one of our water reservoirs, which is highly-wooded and in a low populous county, deer are like ants this time of year. You can drive there at night and there will be about a hundred standing along the side of the road in a two mile stretch.

Fountain, wow, glad your family is OK.

Thanks Jon, we are very blessed that only the car was damaged. It's times like these that make me count my blessings:D.

[/QUOTE]One of the important aspects to avoiding hitting them is to be constantly looking at the edges of the road. That's saved me twice in the past few years.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely! Watch out for those beady little eyes!!!!:D

Back