Waiting for my Spires...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronenash

Reaction score
Hi,

I just sold my ML Ascent i a month ago to but the Spire. Since the Spires were not in stock and I need to wait another couple of weeks to get them. A freind gave me a Celestion SL600si so that I can enjoy music until my new speakers arrive.

What a suprise the Celestions were! I did not expect a 20 year old speaker to perform this well. Certainly not up to the Ascent level but I found I can really enjoy music with this little wonder. With the Lyngdorf DPA-1 preamlifier I use I could actually squeeze some bass out of it when Room Correction was set up.

Not I have to wait for my Spires to arrive...
Will update on my impression once it arrives.

Ronenash

I have been interested in the Spires too. My local dealer will not budge on retail - he says ML scoffs at dealers selling below retial. Is he full of ...? What should I expect as far as a discount?

Hi,

I just sold my ML Ascent i a month ago to but the Spire. Since the Spires were not in stock and I need to wait another couple of weeks to get them. A freind gave me a Celestion SL600si so that I can enjoy music until my new speakers arrive.

What a suprise the Celestions were! I did not expect a 20 year old speaker to perform this well. Certainly not up to the Ascent level but I found I can really enjoy music with this little wonder. With the Lyngdorf DPA-1 preamlifier I use I could actually squeeze some bass out of it when Room Correction was set up.

Not I have to wait for my Spires to arrive...
Will update on my impression once it arrives.

Ronenash

Congratulations!

Don't forget about at least 75-100 hours of break in.

Ditto on the congradulations. After break in , can you point out the differences between the Spire and Ascents. I would be quite interested to see what you think or if you have formed some opinion now.

Thanks, Greg

....With the Lyngdorf DPA-1 preamlifier I use I could actually squeeze some bass out of it when Room Correction was set up
Hi Ronemash! Nice to see another Lyngdorf/TacT owner in the forum. Dan Osib and I use the DPA-1's estranged brother, the TacT 2.2XP.:)

Spires should sound wonderful.

Hi Ronemash! Nice to see another Lyngdorf/TacT owner in the forum. Dan Osib and I use the DPA-1's estranged brother, the TacT 2.2XP.:)

The Lyngdorf is my most treasured hifi component. Changed my whole listening to music experience. Can't imagine myself seriously listening to music without room correction.:music:

I have been interested in the Spires too. My local dealer will not budge on retail - he says ML scoffs at dealers selling below retial. Is he full of ...? What should I expect as far as a discount?

I think I received 10% off my Spires when I bought them. Have you considered used?

Gordon

Congratulations.

Just a bit curios, what power amp are you using?
I have a Lyngdorf DPA-1 myself and it really works wonders with my Puritys.
But maybe, just maybe, I will get a pair of Spires

I am using to power amplification setups. One using a pair of Murano ICEPower based class D monoblocks. These are basically identical to the Bel Canto Ref100 and Jeff Rowland 505. These amps are super detailed with great drive, timing, soundstage, and have some of the best presence I have heard.
The other amplifier is a Bread P100 tube power amp. I have the Beard for 15 years and have rebuilt it with some of the best components available today. The Beard drove my Ascents i without a problem and has that magical midrange (especially in triod) which I find myself longing for over and over again.

ronenash

Interresting, I am contemplating either a pair of ICEPower monoblocks:
http://www.arhifi.com/shop/ear-1001-ref-mk2-174p.html

Or a pair of tube monoblocks:
http://www.primaluna.nl/products_subpage1b7g.htm

I just have a small issue I have to solve first...

The Ear-1001 is idenical to the Murano I have (uses the sames 1000ASP ICEPower modules) and should work great. These modules are truely amazing.

Why not get both and ICEPower and Tube:ROFL:

I live to alternate between tube ad solid state amplification.

Finally recieved my Spires a couple of days ago. They are currently in the breakin process. Some points I noticed already are:
1. The Spires are much more dynamic and resolving then the Ascent i.
2. Out of the box they are too bright and the bass is not what I expect.
3. After two continous days of working they already sound much better and I expect they will improve over the next week or two. I setup the room correction with my Lyngdorf preamplifier but I think I will need to reconfig the room correction once the speaker if fully burned in.
4. The Spires sound glorious with my Beard P100 tube amp. Much better than the Ascent i with the Beard. I assume this is due to the self powered bass in the Spire. The Spires with the tube amplification show the most holographic and detailed presentation I have ever heard in my room.

Can't wait for them to complete burn in.
I will post pictures soon.

Ronen

Finally recieved my Spires a couple of days ago. They are currently in the breakin process. Some points I noticed already are:
1. The Spires are much more dynamic and resolving then the Ascent i.
2. Out of the box they are too bright and the bass is not what I expect.
3. After two continous days of working they already sound much better and I expect they will improve over the next week or two. I setup the room correction with my Lyngdorf preamplifier but I think I will need to reconfig the room correction once the speaker if fully burned in.
4. The Spires sound glorious with my Beard P100 tube amp. Much better than the Ascent i with the Beard. I assume this is due to the self powered bass in the Spire. The Spires with the tube amplification show the most holographic and detailed presentation I have ever heard in my room.

Can't wait for them to complete burn in.
I will post pictures soon.

Ronen

ah yes.... congrats... I can smell the new electronics from here.... timm

Back