Vista vs. Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgrounds

Reaction score
I currently have a pair of Vista's but I am within my 12 mos. upgrade policy at my local Tweeter store. I also have dual Descents. It is worth the upgrade to the Vantage's?

Wow, dual descents...and vistas? You've got more woofage than main speaker!

I personally don't think there's a great deal to be gained between the vista and the vantage...but others feel quite differently...

I currently have a pair of Vista's but I am within my 12 mos. upgrade policy at my local Tweeter store. I also have dual Descents. It is worth the upgrade to the Vantage's?

What's your amplification set-up ?

Anthem D2 processor
PS - Audio, GCA - MC 7 X 250 amp
Stage = center
4 Fresco's for side and rear.

during my intense auditions of the Vantages and Vistas, I thought it was totally worth it to get the Vantages for the dramatically improved bass response and control. However, I never listened to them with dual descents. That could be a tough call. Without the subs, I easily vote to upgrade.

Anthem D2 processor
PS - Audio, GCA - MC 7 X 250 amp
Stage = center
4 Fresco's for side and rear.

Sounds like HT is your thing. Save your hard earned $$$, keep the Vista's.

Take the $$ saved and maybe try tubes on the panels or something else that could be more musical than your present amp.

More Musical

"Take the $$ saved and maybe try tubes on the panels or something else that could be more musical than your present amp."

Are you suggesting swapping the amp or additions?

Any suggestions?

I think in "addition". Keep the 7-ch amp for HT duty. My crystal ball tells me I might have an additional stereo tube amp in the distant future. I used to be 60% HT and 40% Music, but now its like 2%/98%. When that day comes, and since my cd player has two sets of outputs, all I will have to do is unplug/replug the speaker cables in the back when I watch a movie.

Or you can use the 2 of the 7 channels for bass duty of the Vista, and use tubes on the panels. I think that's what Dave meant when he wrote "try tubes on the panels".

Spike

Spike..... as a matter of fact, that's exactly what I meant !!!!

thank you !!

Last edited:
I own the Vistas so I'm biased, but in your scenario I would definitely keep the Vistas. For what you are doing I don't think you'd gain anything with Vantages.

Summit would be your next stop and even that wouldn't be cost justified in my opinion.

My opinion is that panel sounds better in the Vantage because the amp isnt splitting duties with the woofers. But the improvement may be too subtle to spend another $1k.

My opinion is that panel sounds better in the Vantage because the amp isnt splitting duties with the woofers. But the improvement may be too subtle to spend another $1k.

So what would be the price/quality difference in the Vista with two amps and the Vantage with one? Seems like the price gap would be enough to get a nice used amp for the woofers.

I don't know anything about the amps for the Vantage's woofers, but I'd feel more comfortable personally with bi-amping. I've actually thought it's odd for the Summit and Vantage to power the woofers, a large but easy load, and not the panels, which are a large and complex load for an amplifier. Plus, I just don't like speaker-level inputs for an amplifier, I can't even say exactly why... I just don't like it, too many components in the line, I guess.

bgrounds,

Since you have the bass(es) covered, no need for Vantages. Sonics could be improved IMO through the use of an active cross-over. Let the Descents handle the bass up to 60 or 80 Hz or so, and the Vistas take it from there. The subs should be along the same wall as the main L/R speakers for this to work well. Does your pre-pro have dual outs for the front channels? That would help also.

Back