vista issue - help!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headrush

Reaction score
recently i've noticed that one of my vista's is lacking upper frequencies and some "oomph" as well. i had written into martin logan support, and after doing some suggested troubleshooting it was determined that the power board in the speaker was defective. a replacement board was sent, and i swapped it out to no avail.

in terms of trouble shooting, i've done everything i can think of; swapping the panels, wires, receiver outputs, power cables, etc. nothing fixes the sound from the panel connected to this one woofer box. what else am i missing? could the wires inside suddenly have gone bad???

or maybe i am simply crazy?

If it's still under warranty I would continue getting help from ML.

What happened when you swapped the panels?

Did you buy them new ? from local dealer ? ....if so, there in lies you answer, if not then continue to pursue with M/L......possibly problems within crossover network ?????

when swapping the panels the problem stayed with the suspect woofer box. the panel and woofer are amped through separate channels from my receiver, so i'm not sure why a crossover would cause issues. they were purchased new from a local dealer.

when swapping the panels the problem stayed with the suspect woofer box. the panel and woofer are amped through separate channels from my receiver, so i'm not sure why a crossover would cause issues. they were purchased new from a local dealer.

Hola...for what you had said, it is like there is no high voltage at the panel...but you did change the power supply. You must have a high voltage probe, and check if you do have high voltage present at the red panel cable. Be careful, it will make you jump if you touch this section...by any chance, do you have an electronic tech that could help you out?...sometimes, at the printed circuit boards, are wire connectors. These connectors are securing the wires with a screw. Right here, you could have a faulty contact, pinching the insulator and not the wire, check this out...other way is sending the speaker to ML to get the service there. It could be also, like a broken wire, or missing connection...or faulty connection...hope this can help,
Roberto.

Last edited:

The Vista doesn't have provisons for real bi-amping whether active or passive. So the speaker's passive crossover is always in the circuit.

Wait a minute, ARE you doing real bi-amping: splitting the signal at the line level and feeding the amps either only highs or lows, no fullrange signal to the amps? Because if you are the speaker isn't made for it and you're buggering things up.

Right here, you could have a faulty contact, pinching the insulator and not the wire, check this out...other way is sending the speaker to ML to get the service there. It could be also, like a broken wire, or missing connection...or faulty connection...hope this can help,
Roberto.

i will take a look at it again tonight, to make sure that no wires have been crossed. :duh:

Wait a minute, ARE you doing real bi-amping: splitting the signal at the line level and feeding the amps either only highs or lows, no fullrange signal to the amps? Because if you are the speaker isn't made for it and you're buggering things up.

Irishtom, i am lazily using the term bi-amping here. the woofer and panel are powered through two identical outputs from the amp , and both are given full signal spectrum.

You could have the wiring correct, but could be pinching the plastic cover and not the bare wire. I have had that problem many times in other projects. It looks that you have a faulty connection for sure. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Back