Vinylphile issue 7 is ready for download!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

With all the post-RMAF excitement, I forgot to post that Issue 7 of Vinylphile is now available! I've made some tweaks to the layout and am interested in hearing your feedback. Here's a link to the issue:

www.vinylphilemag.com/pdf/vinylphile-007.pdf

As always, thanks for reading!

Thanks Rich for sharing these issues with us. I always enjoy reading them... and I don't even own a TT :) !

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the heads-up and another fine issue of vinylphilemag.

I like the turntable that Michel from Montreal is using. :) I'd really like to try out a SME 5 arm on my model 10. Although, the model 10 arm has a detachable headshell and I'm getting an extra headshell to mount a mono cartridge. After proper set up, I'll be able to switch from mono to stereo cartridges real quick.

Just a quick note on mono/stereo. I was comparing Martin Denny's original 1956 "Exotica" with Arthur Lyman on vibraphone to the re-recorded "Stereo" version. The stereo version was recorded in 1959 (I think) with a different vibraphone player as Arthur Lyman went on his own.

Anyway, I'm using a Shelter 501 mk II stereo cartridge. The Manley Steelhead phono preamp has a button labeled "Sum" which is basically a "Mono" switch.

After listening to the difference of those two albums, I played some other mono recordings with the "Sum" or mono switched on. Albums that I thought were poor recordings, came to life in a dramatic fashion.

Before that little epiphany, I thought you had to have a mono cartridge to make a difference.

I even noticed a difference in my vintage rig using the mono switch on my Marantz 2325.

Does this sound right to you? Or am I trippin'? :D

Todd,

You better stay away from vinyl. If you had a good SME turntable set up right and a collection of audiophile records, you might not come back from Audionirvanaland... ha, ha...

Ray

Back