Vintage Preamp or emotiva?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm Looking for a tube sound but own a Emotiva EPA-2 Amp. I am being told to go to vintage for the preamp. Suggestions? :bowdown:

Last edited:
I have a vintage Acoustic Research SP9. Very nice, but it offers more of a tube hybrid sound more akin to a very good solid state pre amp. You can buy one of those for not much money.

I Looking for a tube sound but own a Emotiva EPA-2 Amp.

I'm curious as to 'your' definition of tube sound...... the internet forum discussed euphoric warmth of tubes as it applies to the mid-range ,yet in most applications where price is a consideration the overall bandwiidth suffers....... or the tube sound that can perform mid-range magic yet also not lose it's grip on the opposites ends of the freq spectrum, a rare find in the price range of Emotiva gear......unless you can and are willing to go 'used'.

Give us a ballpark on your $$ range and I suspect you'll get plenty of good recomendations.

I have a vintage Acoustic Research SP9. Very nice, but it offers more of a tube hybrid sound more akin to a very good solid state pre amp. You can buy one of those for not much money.

agree with Edwin, I owned the MK II version which now resides in my sons system in Colorado feeding my old Aragon 4004, great combination !

I am biased to ARC as well but feel that E.A.R. will deliver more what could be called as tube sound.

agree with Edwin, I owned the MK II version which now resides in my sons system in Colorado feeding my old Aragon 4004, great combination !
And you can get a HUGE improvement if you spend $200 and replace the volume pot with a DACT stepped attenuator. I'm still using it (the MK II version as well).

Dave, you should tell your son to do that, just in case GNS (now out of business) did not do it. Unfortunately I don't know how long it takes to break in the attenuator. :)

I would humbly suggest that the greatest impact on your system's sound will be the room.

If you get that "right", you'll be able to make a much more informed decision on your components and their corresponding sonic signature.

And yes, only you can decide what is the correct choice for you.

Good luck.

GG

I just switched my CLS 2a's from an AR SP-9 preamp to an Emotiva MMC-1 (Preamp/7.1 processor).

I'm still making adjustments, as my CLS's are now integrated into a home theater configuration. My initial impressions are:
-same as AR SP-9 in sound field, frequency response, and clarity.
-better for surround sound (built in low freq. roll-off @90 HZ for CLS's) plus ML Dynamo 300 subs is just right.
-the Emotiva MMC-1 has higher output, which is needed to drive the pro amps (Crown XLS1000 and QSC RMX2400). The AR SP-9 cannot drive the Crown XLS1000 to rated output.

The Emotiva Stereo preamp is inexpensive and may be worth testing (I think Emotiva has a 30 day trial period).
They also have a new $699 Preamp/7.1 processor with automatic level adjustment (microphone included).
Note: my AR SP-9 is way overdue for updates, but I would always use it for playing (or recording) records! A good phono section is hard to find.

Back