Victim of box speakers is looking for electrostat salvation (CLS, VANTAGE, ODYSSEY)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Gordon has said the CLS need breathing room. They like at lest a 15 foot wide room to get them out to breath and give that HUGE sound stage. If they get to close you get a beaming sound. The huge opening on the one side will also play havoc with Stats. Cones do not have the rear wave to bounce all over and phase things up as bad. I like the Summit if you can get a cheap deal. The sound is INCREDIBLE. I listened to them in a smallish room with Audio Research tubs and was blown away. I think the older designs have merit but with the cost of the new stuff used its a no brainier. Don't get me wrong I love the classics like the Quest or Monolith. , I had a pair that I modded and sold to a guy in Toronto of all things. They just are GONNA NEED NEW PANELS. No two ways around it.

I also would look into room treatment. Its the single best investment that you can do. It can make or break a system.

I loved Summit when I listened to them in a show room, which was not much bigger than mine. My concern that opening as well as fireplace are only minor problems compared to the wall with the window (its not only bad geometry its also different reflective indexes).

Its amazing what a bit of treatment can do. The best part is you can make as good or better than you can buy because its tailored to YOUR room, if you are handy. At 1/2 or less the cost !

Much as I love ML, you know what would work great in that room?

A pair of Acoustat 1+1's.....

I used to have a room with those kind of dimensions and they were outstanding. Run em full range and add a ML Grotto i.....

Under $2000 and You'll be in heaven!

Bumbox,
The last time I looked American sound had a pair of summits at $6000, I beleive. You may want to check that out as it is right in Toronto.
www.americansound.com

Looks like the summits are gone , but there are a pair of Gershwin X2's with the X1 bass module. They also have a set of JMLabs micro utopia which would work quite well with a sub.

Last edited:
Hello Bumbox,

You did say something about moving to a new house...
I don't know when you will move, but no matter. What about going with one of the hybrid ML speakers (Spire, Summit (X), Vantage, or Vista) flanking the window. The sound may not be optimal for now, but you can still enjoy it (and tweak with some treatments) until you can get them into a bigger space when you move. The big panel sound is hard to get without the big panel, and if you fell in love with it, it's the way to go.

Another option, and I know I'm going to be raked over the coals for this one, but you might want to consider a pair of Magnepan (planar magnetic) wall speakers flanking the fireplace (http://www.magnepan.com/model_MC1). You'll need a subwoofer. That way, at least they will fire into the space that goes into the hallway. There were rumors about Magnepan making a planar magnetic woofer (I wouldn't go so far as to call it a sub-woofer) that pairs with their wall speakers. I don't know if they are available yet, but maybe a dealer can help. When you do get ML speakers, you can use the Magnepan system in the bedroom or den.

Good Luck!

crusty

Bumbox,
The last time I looked American sound had a pair of summits at $6000, I beleive. You may want to check that out as it is right in Toronto.
www.americansound.com

Looks like the summits are gone , but there are a pair of Gershwin X2's with the X1 bass module. They also have a set of JMLabs micro utopia which would work quite well with a sub.

Thanks. I actually listened to this pair at the beginning of January I belive they sold them at the beginning of Feb.

Hello Bumbox,

You did say something about moving to a new house...
I don't know when you will move, but no matter. What about going with one of the hybrid ML speakers (Spire, Summit (X), Vantage, or Vista) flanking the window. The sound may not be optimal for now, but you can still enjoy it (and tweak with some treatments) until you can get them into a bigger space when you move. The big panel sound is hard to get without the big panel, and if you fell in love with it, it's the way to go.

Another option, and I know I'm going to be raked over the coals for this one, but you might want to consider a pair of Magnepan (planar magnetic) wall speakers flanking the fireplace (http://www.magnepan.com/model_MC1). You'll need a subwoofer. That way, at least they will fire into the space that goes into the hallway. There were rumors about Magnepan making a planar magnetic woofer (I wouldn't go so far as to call it a sub-woofer) that pairs with their wall speakers. I don't know if they are available yet, but maybe a dealer can help. When you do get ML speakers, you can use the Magnepan system in the bedroom or den.

Good Luck!

crusty

Hi Crusty,

I was thinking Odyssey because it’s available locally. Another option is Source but I understand Odyssey will sound much better than Source even in my room. My only concern that if I set them up against the window I would have reflection from both the glass and the wall. With Source that has narrow panels I can probably try setting them up flanking/surrounding the fireplace. However this is not an ideal position for any speaker including Maggies since one of the speakers is firing to the wall opening. Another problem is the very short distance between the fire place and the back wall.
Do you think that newer MLs are friendlier with respect to room placement than older models?

Much as I love ML, you know what would work great in that room?

A pair of Acoustat 1+1's.....

I used to have a room with those kind of dimensions and they were outstanding. Run em full range and add a ML Grotto i.....

Under $2000 and You'll be in heaven!
I never heard about Acoustats but what do I know about planars anyway. I checked the Net and found only positive staff about them. My major concern that their producer went out of business long time ago. Most of what I would be able to find is quite old and probably not very reliable at this point. Where would I service them?

Hi Bumbox,

After looking at your photos again, I see what you mean by one speaker firing into the rear wall opening if set up flanking the fireplace. One thing about the wall hanging Maggies is that their angle can be adjusted relative to the wall they are mounted on so can be aimed easily and set flat against the wall after listening.

All of ML's electrostats (and Magnepan's planar magnetic speakers) are dipolar (versus bipolar), which means they cancel sound to the sides of them. Whether big or small, older or newer, this will always be the case. This can theoretically help reduce issues with sidewall reflections. As far as the back reflection is concerned, if set up flanking the window, you might want to try a heavier drape over the window (maybe one with insulating properties that keep the cold out or heat in), and if that is not enough, maybe some acoustic treatment behind the speakers. Others on this site can give you more thorough feedback regarding acoustic/room treatments.

Personally, given the choice between the Odyssey and the Source, I would choose the Odyssey. After listening to many pairs of speakers and up to that point in my life, it was one of three times I thought a pair of speakers sounded musically right (the other two were when I heard Maggie's 3.6R and JM Lab Electra). If I had the funds at the time (I think they were about 7 or 8 grand), I would've purchased them right then and there. I've gone back to listen to both Maggie's 3.6R and a pair of floorstanding JM Labs lately, and both sonic signatures have changed dramatically from my memory, and I have crossed both those speakers off my list of memorable speakers. The only company that remains is ML. Granted, I haven't heard a pair of Odysseys since then, but I did purchase the Vista and have been very happy since. I liked the warmth of the Odyssey and the unrestrained ease in the way it reproduced music. The other ML speakers I heard at that time did not reach the level of performance in these two areas that the Odyssey did. I did spend some time with the Source before deciding on the Vistas, and they are as musically engaging as other current MLs, with a seductive immediacy and presence, however the panel is smaller and the soundstage does not bloom as much as the larger panels. The other downside is that since they are dipole, the sound cuts off dramatically when you stand up and leave the radiating field of the panels (less dramatically so when moving to the side due to the curved panels). Hope this helps.

crusty

Back