Vantage Vs Summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, I have mine in a positioned 78 inches center-to-center and 6 feet from the back wall. My room is 28'X18' with a vaulted ceiling. However, I can not place them symmetrically in the room because of a foyer on one side. They are far into the room and sound the best in this location for the particular acoustic challenges of my room.

Have you eliminated the possibility of something being amiss with your components causing the imbalance? For example; have you swapped the left and right speaker cables to see if the imbalance changes with it? Are both lights on the rear of the speakers glowing yellow when in standby mode and green when playing?

Thanks for the reply Craig

I have had 3 other speakers in the current set-up with no inbalance, and if i swap speakers around, the inbalance shifts with it

The lights are working in the order you say

Wow! 78 inches apart is amazing. I shall try mine much closer in the morning (girlfriend in bed now)

cheers

nigel

bonesetter said:
Thanks for the reply Craig

Wow! 78 inches, (girlfriend in bed now)

cheers

Then why in the heck are are you talking to us !!!!!!!!!!

:D :D

i'm burning the midnight oil trying to get this mess sorted out

first a apir of Vantage's delivered broken, and faulty. Now a defective Summit

A Hi-Fi friend came around this morning (35 years experience) and identified the imbalance imeadiately, and said he thinks the quiet speaker is defective

now the importer has said he can't make it around this week at all :mad:

I'd sooner listen to my dogs barking at the moment than any music!!

That's really a shame. If indeed they were BOTH defective, that is very unusual for Martin Logan. However (at least in the U.S.) ML has GREAT customer service, and is incredibly responsive. If your "importer" is not following up as needed, I would email ML directly and seek assistance. Maybe your "importer" is not a sanctioned ML distributor?

Bonesetter, how 'bout a f/u report on your Summits. Inquiring minds want to know!

I haven't read the whole thread, but I assume you've checked all your speaker cables, interconnects etc? Did you swap the speakers around to ensure it's not a room related thing? I guess you did that...

I'm surprised you've got this problem, My speakers were delivered across the Pacific Ocean and the arrived at my house as if they'd just come off the factory floor.

sleepysurf said:
Bonesetter, how 'bout a f/u report on your Summits. Inquiring minds want to know!

Hi S Surf. 'fraid the Summits had to go back - just didn't seem to get on with them... There were the problems with set-up, they were a bit too big for my room, and the price of them here in UK is 16000 USD!

I suppose in the end, if I were to be critical, I thought the sound to be 'plasticy' larger than life, and there's always the bass/panel integration issue.

The Zu Druids I have now are wonderful and I'm very happy with them. They are a quirky sort of 'speaker, and you have to place them MUCH farther apart than you would usually, and this gives a free, room filling sound.

They have one full range 12'' paper driver which produces a very fast, dynamic and FUN sound. Tonally very accurate, and with the 47 Labs Flatfish CDP, makes the whole thing extremely musical.

All in all, quite a way away from good 'Hi-Fi', but now I'm not worrying over soudstage, detail, imaging, and all the analytical stuff I used to of 'Hi-Fi' - the Druids don't do that stuff well anyway, but I can relax and enjoy the music.

Thanks again for your help previously.

Back