Vantage Vertical Position Placement?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFD13

Reaction score
Hello:

While searching Google for the answer to my question I was fortunate enough to come across this site. I searched this site and was not able to find an answer to what I was looking for so please forgive me if I did happen to overlook it.

After being a longtime Martin Logan user I have finally scrapped up the money to build a proper home theater with some limitations. Due to space restrictions my SL3's are going to have to be put in storage and replaced with the Vantage's.

The QUESTION I have is I am going to have to place the Vantages vertically on top of my cabinets housing the Receiver/AMP/etc. This will mean that they will be 36" off of the floor resting on top of a quartz countertop. Believe me this is the only way I can place them. Basically the Vantages will frame a Plasma TV in the middle. On top of the TV I am going to mount my Logos center. I plan on putting a sub or two in the below cabinets also for bass response.

My concern is will this sound terrible. I know I will be able to tilt the speakers forward to some degree to aim them. I guess I want the best of both worlds, #1 good sound and #2 asethically pleasing to the eye. I don't want the speakers looking like the leaning tower of Pisa.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I would consider a different speaker. I don't think you'll be pleased with the look or the sound of what you just described. To get the best of both worlds I would suggest placing your center speaker on the cabinet and mounting the TV on the wall. I would then suggest installing a pair of voyages on the left and right. I know a flush mount is often a compromise but I can promise you that these are no ordinary flush mounts!!!

It'll look clean and sound awesome :rocker:

I hate to say it, but I agree with everything FatJ just said. I don't think you will be happy with the look or sound of what you described, expecially for the amount of money you spend on the Vantages. The in-walls or on-walls are probably a much better solution for you.

:stop:

I concurr with the above 2 posts. Yeah, I hate to say it too, but I don't see it being the best of anything.

Oh and another thing, I'm not too sure how well the subs will work when placed inside your cabinet. Can you give us some idea on the size of the sub and the cabinet opening they will be going in?

And just one thought that may help out - would it be possible to put the Vantage on the floor and have the cabinet behind them? How big of a cabinet is it?

Thank you all for your quick replys. Not what I wanted to hear but then again it beats being extremely disappointed.

The set-up for the room is a little weird. The space that I described is immediately to the left of the entrance way into the room (meaning inches from the doorway). To the immediated right of the doorway is a wall that divides the room in two. The room is narrow so the optimium placement for the TV/Speakers is in either the rear or front. The entire rear of the room is taken up by a sliding glass door.

The cabinets stretch 126 inches from the entrance way to a cinder block wall. I am installing quantity (3) 42" kitchen base cabinets in this space. A good solid 3/4" plywood cabinet that is not flimsy. The reason for the cabinets is because it is a comprise with my wife to hide my equipment and whatever else. Directly above the cabinets is a sofit which leaves me a distance of roughly 60 inches from the top of the cabinets to the sofit.

I am currently having an electrician put in all of my electical outlet boxes and 2" PVC duct runs for speakers, plasma TV cables, and future needs (Home runs for a inceiling projector). Being a machinist I appreciate the behind the scenes "engineering" that goes into making it easy to do anything down the road. It is probably overboard but I know what I want. Bad thing is nobody except me or someone else on this board would appreciate the thought that went into the basics.

As I write this I am still bummed about not being able to use the Vantages and most importantly having to put my SL3's in storage. I have Fresco's (left, right, center) with Triad in ceiling rears set-up in the family room and they sound alright. I was really hoping to use ESL's. In wall speakers won't work due to my "piping" interferences.

I'll go with your guys opinion but I want an option that will be atleast comparable to the ESL's if there is one.

Thanks,

I guess you want to keep your TV between your speakers for HT? If not, how about putting your cabinet and speakers on seperate walls?

Would love to but I am deadlocked into this position. The two side walls are entirely taken up. One with a "L" shaped couch and the other with Floor to Ceiling book cases. I'm in a the middle unit of a townhouse so space is a premium. I would have put the audio/video components in a closet if available but no such luck.

Post some pictures. Other minds may come up with a solution.

Poor Vantages

I believe any attempt to deploy Vantages in your room can only lead to frustration. There just isn't enough room. Vantages are not much smaller than SL3s and need a lot of air around them.

If you want ESLs I'd recommend to look for something much smaller which is not hybrid, for instance Final Sound 150i, and add subs.

Dynamo and Abyss can be converted to a front firing config. The manual recommends to do this if the sub has to be used in a cabinet. The Dynamo is probably better because it is smaller. It is also a terrific sub for its price and small size.

If you can find some Scripts that might be an acceptable compromise. Wall mount ESLs.

Also feel free to enlist the help of your fellow Chicago members. The Chicago contingent is scattered all over the metro area but is reasonable active on this forum.

I see absolutely no reason why a pair of large-ish ML speakers can't be hung from the ceiling, inverted. It can be done using either industrial trapeze style hanging systems or mods on the feet/spike receivers in the cabinet. If you see merit in this idea ( I'd definitely try it), let me know, I'll help you out whatever way I can. I'd like to see it done.
Beak

Perhaps you should show your wife this thread, and seeing the problems you face, she will decide that you do not need to compromise after all ?

BTW those kitchen cabinets are not necessarily the best place in which to put equipment, sound-wise, as I have discovered.

Good luck with your discussion with your wife, if you go that route.

Back