Using a PS Audio Powerplant with Logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

denf

I'm trying to find some information on using a PS Audio Paowerplant (P300 in this case) for use with my Summits. I seem to recall reading that the sound could be improved by raising the voltage of the Power Plant with the stats plugged into it.

Anyone? Would it possibly hurt the amps that power the woofers?? :confused: (i think the original bit I read was reffering to all of the "non powered woofer Logans).

Thanks to any & all :rocker:

Hi:
I'm using a PS Audio P500 with my Summits. I find the best sound occurs at a setting of 120 volts. I've never heard of a problem being caused when using higher voltages.

With the older ML models they would shut down when the PS Audio PP were set above 80hz. Paul M. of PS Audio wrote about this in Audio Asylum. I haven't found this to be the case with the Vantages. If you have other components hooked up to the power power, I wouldn't recommend that the frequency be set too high because it seems to add too much zing to the sound. I've found that some of the Multiwave settings to sound quite good. When I play records, I have to return the setting to 60hz. Wish I had a separate powerplant just for my turntable.

I have had all iterations of the Powerplant series from 300 to 600 to 1000. The 300 even with its modifications is really intended for source devices like preamps/cd players etc. It simply does not have very much headroom.
The main benefit of the larger plants is higher head room and more inputs.
I would not change the fundamental frequencies from 60 Hz. I have experimented and they all color the sound differently.
You would raise your noise ceiling slightly for the speakers but the main benefit would be in the associated components. Also, you get surge protection which is important for peripheral equipment.
PS Audio has a new line of 'plants that is coming out. You might want to wait to see how one of these would work with your system.

I have PS Audio Premier and ML Vantages

I have just gotten the new Premier Power Plant and have all of my electronics plugged into it, including my speakers, and O' my god! what an improvement.

Everything is grain free and defined with a wonderful soundstage and rock bottom bass. I would highly recommend it. I used to have the P-300 for the front end and it helped as well, but plugging everything into one unit, including power amp and speakers, just made a huge difference.

Cheers!

I have just gotten the new Premier Power Plant and have all of my electronics plugged into it, including my speakers, and O' my god! what an improvement.

Everything is grain free and defined with a wonderful soundstage and rock bottom bass. I would highly recommend it. I used to have the P-300 for the front end and it helped as well, but plugging everything into one unit, including power amp and speakers, just made a huge difference.

Cheers!

Oooh.... this is interesting. Funny though how the PPP is getting subpar reviews at other forums. Did you A/B it as in PPP vs no PPP?

Joey

I've read some of those reviews and I feel that too many high current units are being connected to the new power plants. PS Audio's claims are a bit optimistic and from what I heard locally from new purchaser's, you should avoid connecting HDTV's in conjunction with high power amps. A sure sign that something may be wrong is having the fan turn on in a few minutes. When this happens, the sound degrades noticeably (I only heard this for a few seconds since I don't own one. But a few people that do have reported this to me and I put some trust in their audio experiences.)

I am old fashioned and beleive that a high power/current amp should be connected directly to the wall (preferably with its own dedicated circuit). I also believe that you should be conservative and not connect too many units into any of these devices.

Premier Power Plant

I have just my sound system plugged into it, not a plasma TV or any really high current stuff and it runs without a whimper or the fan going on.

I have my ML Vantages plugged into it as well as my Bryston 4BST, my Simaudio Moon P-3 and my cd player and tuner, and that's it. Everything sounds better and coherent and I can play it as loud as I want, and believe me it kicks ass! - and it sounds so good. Grainfree, smooth and clean on the top with bass to die for. I'm so happy with this system, I've decided to trade up to the new Simaudio P-5.3 to replace my preamp. Go figure.

You know it's kind of an illness to want to make it better when it's the best you've ever had already. Nobody would understand it except us nut cases, called "audiophiles".

I am old fashioned and beleive that a high power/current amp should be connected directly to the wall (preferably with its own dedicated circuit). I also believe that you should be conservative and not connect too many units into any of these devices.

I currently have plugged all my setup but the subwoofer and the projector to my P500 and the difference is quite amazing... ;)

And when I'm refering to all my setup, it includes the preamp, the two amps, the universal player, the headphone amp, the clarities and the cinema i - though for the latter I don't feel any real difference. To be noted that all equipments are in 220 volts / 50 Hz, which is somewhat different.

Back