Used Summit or new Montis / Ethos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrit

Reaction score
Hi
I have the chance to buy a used Summit (not the X), that was only in use for one year. For a little more money (abou 3K) I would get a new Montis or for the same money a new Ethos.

I read the the actual models have better panels with longer liftime and more detail.

I would be happy for some advices. I am a long time CLSII owner, but the pannels are gone.

Many thanks

Gerrit

Tough one, if it was me I would buy the Montis, I personally felt the X (Summit X / CLX etc and trickle down) really has something special, and as a CLSII owner it would be an interesting transition. The other side of the coin is if you do not have subs already (with the CLSII) then you will appreciate the bass output from the Summit.

Hello,

I definitely would keep the CLS2 and replace panels, even if the costs may be higher than the speakers actual value !

Although the Summit (not X) already has X-Stat Technolgy panels that should last minimum 10 years, I would not consider to move to hybrid design, if you currently own a fullrange ESL. I did this change and still miss the very specific sound of my CLS2z. Soundstage is much smaller with the Summits. On the other hand, the summit is able to reproduce enourmous dynamics.

Its mainly a matter of what you prefer.

Johann

Man, what a dilemma!

Let's break it down - Original Summits or Ethos? Hmmm. If the Summits are as new, the Summits win. Not by much, though. I've started to like what the Ethos do more and more, even though my first listen last year didn't impress me over the Theos. In a smaller room, the Ethos would give the Summits a run for their money. Bigger room = Summits.

Original Summist vs Montis. Okay. I'm a Summit fan. But I think the Montis is a step up, however small, in panel refinement. If the Summit's massive bass dynamics weren't a priority, and you value the slightly better woofer/panel integration offered by the Montis, I would pull the trigger on the Montis IF I didn't have to put more dollars in. However, you said you need to put in another $3000! No way. Summit wins, hands down.

Original Summits vs re-panelled CLSll. CLSll's are very nice. They offer a big sound stage with fine definition and massive detail, but lack the Summit's stupendous bass. This would be a more difficult decision if the panels in your speakers were good. But they're not. You're going to have to spend big money to bring the CLSll's back. Even then you still wouldn't have what the Summits can do in a big room. The original Summits are a milestone loudspeaker, that will wipe the floor of nearly any other high-end pretender out there. If you can listen to a pair, or even the speakers that have been offered to you, you should take the chance to listen. Even if you can't listen before hand, just buy the Summits. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
Back