Used Spires or new Theos???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmusoke

Reaction score
I have an option of buying a 2.5 year old used Spires pair on Agon in fairly good condition for about the same price as a new Theos pair. I'm told the 5 yr ML warranty for the spires isn't transferrable. What to do? Need some advice here please...

2 1/2 years old and only 'fairly good' shape ????? I'd stay away from them, save your $$ and buy new or better used. Are the Spires better than the Theos...absolutely, but then it's your money !

Thanks Dave ... I appreciate your candid answer. I've never bought any used gear so this would have been my first if i did it (which i'm not thx to you;)).

So the Spires is that much better than the Theos? I know its bass is better but what about the panel and all the attributes it brings? Aren't the panels the same save for the panel widths?

Thx again,
Dave

I would look for a good deal on a spire and take that route. I've seen some sell for $4k and a bit under.

Thanks Hocky ...sounds like a good plan. I saw some in the classifieds. What do you think of the Ad?

I hear you indeed my friend:D! Still wiating to hear some details from the seller...

Just keep an eye on audiogon. I just bought a pair of brand new in box spires for $4400 shipped. I know there is a nice custom pair of spires up on audiogon right now for $4350 (and they are in practically perfect shape). I am not the guy selling them, but I did talk to the seller and he seemed like a very nice guy. If you have any interest in the Ethos instead of the Spires I can hook you up with a guy who will sell you a new pair for $3600. Cheers!

Just keep an eye on audiogon. I just bought a pair of brand new in box spires for $4400 shipped. I know there is a nice custom pair of spires up on audiogon right now for $4350 (and they are in practically perfect shape). I am not the guy selling them, but I did talk to the seller and he seemed like a very nice guy. If you have any interest in the Ethos instead of the Spires I can hook you up with a guy who will sell you a new pair for $3600. Cheers!

Thanks Running:

Choices, choices and even more choices!:D

OK. What to do? new Ethos or new Spires? I know the Spires Xstat panel is better but what about the bass slam and quality? The Ethos has 2 woofers (1 active 1 passive) but the Spires has one woofer.

I've been monitoring Agon almost daily but the best deal(for me) so far was a 5/6 month old Spires in a tan finish($5K, good deal?). I don't like the standard black finish as it'll make my HT system too dark, which it is already. I just need a little color in my room.

Do you mind sending me the info of your Ethos guy? Is he an ML dealer?

Thanks again:D

David

Back