UPS - Uninteruptable power supply

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

music again

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, as I know EVERYTHING matters!

I'll ask it anyway . . . .

Does anyone have their system hooked up to a UPS?

Would hooking your power conditioner into a UPS be a mortal sin?:devil:

I have a LOT of electric issues in my neighborhood. Nothing I can control really, short of moving. I thought I'd beat someone to the punch on that one.

I'm just concerned that if (when) the power goes out, and then back on sometimes rather quickly, I'm going to have damage to my Summits if the Sanders 2 channel amp kicks on before the Cary SLP-03 pre amp. KABOOM!:eek::eek: I am still thinking of the mon blocs which are much more powerfull than the 2 channel amp.

The Cary is very quite when switching from one source to another. Maybe I'm over reacting, but I don't really want to find out what would happen.

Joe

Since speakers draw a lot of power, I am not sure if you could even find a UPS that would not overload when it tried to run the speakers off battery, and if you could it would be pretty large and cost a fortune.

I did run a UPS, but with a much lesser system in earlier days. Anyway, I didn't notice any difference.

For the record, it was a HP PowerTrust that successfully ran a high-end UNIX server at work for many years. I also noticed on the UPS words to the effect of "WARNING: Output is NOT sinusoidal - output may contain up to 50% THD".

I ditched the thing, BUT I still have it. I'd be VERY interested in others' opinions.

Last edited:
Hello,

I would not use a UPS it noisy, big, heavy and full of batteries that must be changed every 3 or 4 years. If you are worried about power outages and power flicker I would try a power sequencer. A power sequencer will power up your equipment in the correct order everytime. Furman, ETA systems and other make these. Listed below is link.

www.etasys.com

Cherian

Eta

Hello,

If you are worried about power outages and power flicker I would try a power sequencer. A power sequencer will power up your equipment in the correct order every time. Furman, ETA systems and other make these. Listed below is link.

www.etasys.com

Cherian

Cherian,

Thanks. I checked out the ETA unit on the internet and their is a distributor very near by . . . The Karaoke Candy Store". :rolleyes:

The PD11SSP and PD11LVSP look interesting. You can manually set the delay up to 240 seconds. Since I have the Cary SLP-03 with 4 tubes in it, I would need sufficient warm up time, which really takes only about 30+ seconds for the unit to register the input.

Any idea how these units compare to the Furman?

Thanks for the tip.

Joe

The Furman products are a bit better. Newer designs and more features. If you are looking at the ETA product just know that the any of the models that end in a "P" have a NEMA 5-20 plug and you will need a 20 amp circuit to plug it into.

Furman

The Furman products are a bit better. Newer designs and more features. If you are looking at the ETA product just know that the any of the models that end in a "P" have a NEMA 5-20 plug and you will need a 20 amp circuit to plug it into.

Cherian,

The Furman products do seem to be more readily available. They also seem to have too many products to chose from. I looked at their web site and tried to compare it to the models in the Music Direct catalog. Some seem discontinued already. Their model numbers make it difficult to review. I'll have to check to the power on/off capabilites of these units as they don't seem to promote that capability very much.

Joe

I only use a UPS on my RPTV. If I have been watching and the power goes out I want to be able to cool that bulb down before everything dies... That is the ONLY thing I use the UPS for.

I would not recommend a UPS for ANY audio system active components (amps, preamps, etc.).

As PCar928 mentions, it's a great idea for projectors with bulbs that need cooling when shutdown.

I have about 5 UPS in the home. Two of which are for the big rig in the HT, but they are more about telecom, computer and DVR uptimes than anything else.

One huge advantage of a large Balanced Power subsystem based on the 5Kva EquiTech transformer is that many transient issues can be ridden out solely on the reserves in the huge torodial transformer. I've had power flickers where the lights in the room go off, but the system just chugged right through it.

Back