UPS backup/ML

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good quality UPS backup for my ML system, 2 summits, 1 stage, 2 depths, 1 grotto, Lexicon MC12, oppo cd/dvd, VPI turntable, rotel phono stage, JVC front projector. HD-Tuner. thanks

Why ??????? as I understand it a 'UPS' (uniterupted power supply) is intended for computers. The last thing you want during power distruption of any kind is to have your system plugged in at all, truth be told.

I can understand having a real UPS or a battery back-up (budget UPS) for a TV system. TV projectors and Set Top Boxes (STB) can tack a long time to recycle after even a very short power outage. But it's not something that an audio system needs.

UPS's wouldn't, hurt they just wouldn't help all that much. The big applications for UPS's is projectors and hard drives. Things that require a cool down/spin down/shut down phase.

But if you still want one the only one I know of that is really good is from Panamax. Its the 5102. It only has two UPS outlets though, the rest are standard. But that is ok because most people shouldnt need more then that in a HT situation

Can anyone recommend a good quality UPS backup for my ML system, 2 summits, 1 stage, 2 depths, 1 grotto, Lexicon MC12, oppo cd/dvd, VPI turntable, rotel phono stage, JVC front projector. HD-Tuner. thanks

Agree with the others - they're not needed for an audio system at all. Unless you have frequent short brownouts.

Worse, they could actually degrade your sound. Many UPSes have total harmonic distortion upwards of 50%! :eek:

Ups

Thanks everyone I have heard that the Apc J-15-blk was one of the best ups especially designed for home theater / audio systems. Sells for around 600.00. Surprised no one mentioned this.

Thanks everyone I have heard that the Apc J-15-blk was one of the best ups especially designed for home theater / audio systems. Sells for around 600.00. Surprised no one mentioned this.

But you haven't explained why? Do you have frequent brownouts? Do you need to compromise power supply quality (and audio quality) so you can continue to listen for a few minutes in the odd event of a blackout?

In addition to inducing THD, these things also limit transient current delivery. An amplifier or speakers won't be damaged by immediate cutoff of power supply like an enterprise Unidata farm in the middle of a table transaction update would be.

What is the point?

Last edited:
But you haven't explained why?

What is the point?

Agreed. I would never put my audio system on a UPS backup. No need for it and potential for current restriction and sound degradation is a real issue. I would advise against it unless you have a real obvious need for it.

But you haven't explained why? Do you have frequent brownouts? Do you need to compromise power supply quality (and audio quality) so you can continue to listen for a few minutes in the odd event of a blackout?

In addition to inducing THD, these things also limit transient current delivery. An amplifier or speakers won't be damaged by immediate cutoff of power supply like an enterprise Unidata farm in the middle of a table transaction update would be.

What is the point?

I suppose one thing to keep in mind is that most UPS's don't actually run the same circuit all the time. When you switch over to battery backup is when the power is out. I know that when I was using one and the battery system kicked in I could hear a significant difference, otherwise it was normal. So is 50% THD measured when battery is in use or otherwise? Additionally most only have a couple UPS outlets the rest are on standard power so they would be going through normal power filtration.

Just spit balling...

But since he is using a projector and those should be on some sort of UPS I think its a good choice. Or buy one UPS and one standard power center for the audio stuff?

Back