Upgrade wish list...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asindc

Reaction score
OK, the inevitable has happened to me. I just recently replaced my Ascent-i with a new pair of Vantages... BAM! Upgradeitis (or in ML Club parlance, "Joeyitis." :eek: ) I knew it would happen, but this dramatically?! I find myself checking out Audiogon with much frequency these days.

Actually before I got the Vantages, I was in upgrade mode. Now it's even worse! Despite that, there are a few things holding me back. Here are my thoughts...

1) A new preamp.

Want to start small and build from there. I've heard great things about the Parasound P3. Called Parasound tech dept. and was told that it is meant as a dedicated 2ch preamp and cannot be integrated into an HT system (no passthrough capabilities). Called Pioneer (I am using a 74TXvi as an HT processer/preamp; had been using a 49TXi) and was told "only our 59TXi has a passthrough option."

I don't want to buy an HT receiver or pre/pro separate until the HDMI/Dolby Digital Plus/DTS-HD technologies are fully incorporated into manufacturers' next generation models (BTW, the Pioneer rep said they would be introducing new models "sometime around Sept.").

So until I get an HT receiver or pre/pro that is either up to the task of functioning as a high-quality 2ch preamp (can you say "expensive?"), or at least one that allows one to be integrated into the HT system (i.e., 2ch passthrough option), I will wait on this upgrade...

2) CD player, or CD transport and DAC, or high end music server (Transporter anyone?)

I've been looking at a few budget players, like a used Rega, Music Hall, or Rotel. I've also been researching budget DACs. I'm currently using an Oppo 970 w/o an external DAC now, which I like a lot, but I bought it knowing that I would want to move up in the not too distant future. I've might have made a move already except that I'm intrigued by the possibilites of something like a Slimdevices Transporter. The only drawbacks I see with that unit so far (besides not having auditioned one yet!) are a) price b) hard drive size and c) time-consuming nature of ripping CDs to hard drive.

I'm also in a wait-and-see mode here. Would like to see a bigger hard drive on the next gen Transporter (or other server) and the price drop below $1K. If that is another year, then so be it. I might go for a CD player soon anyway. Definitely will hold off on the server and DAC for now, though...

3) A new amp (isn't that always the case?).

I am currently using a Sunfire Grand Cinema 5 for HT and music. An obviously dramatic improvement over the 74TXvi (or 49TXi) interal amps. I really want the Class A sound, though. For a realistic "sometime soon" upgrade, I've been looking at the Parasound A51 to replace the Sunfire, or A21 to add to it. If I really go for it, then the JC1s. Would also like to audition Pass Lab or Plinius in my system at some point.

I would do this upgrade after the others, or at least in conjunction. Which leaves me at this point. I think I'll just do some tweaks in the meantime, and maybe get serious about room treatments.

My apologies for the long-winded post, but I think some of you might be where I am at this point. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Anthony

it doesn't matter how satisfied you are with your system there is always the urge to upgrade. Just recently I upgraded my interconnect between my Cd player and my Amp. Normally this wouldn't be significant but I was wrong going from a Synergistic Research designers reference to A Tesla Apex was huge the detail and extension on both ends still has me smiling after 3 weeks.

Most likely I will be looking at upgrading my speaker cables next.

something else to consider was my previous upgrade, that was just taking all of the cables off and cleaning and polishing them total cost about $2.00

I am with you Anthony. I am in the middle of a HUGE upgrade....actually I am just building an entirely new system....its fun but scary to watch all that $$$ go out....hoping that it will be worth it. Good stuff!

It never ends

I just bought an ARC REF-3, PH-7, Shelter 9000 and have Ayre MR-X mono blocks auditioning in my basement. Its a sickness I tell ya. :eek: But it sure is fun. :D Good luck finding the right components and accessories it truely is a never ending story.....Steve

OK, the inevitable has happened to me. I just recently replaced my Ascent-i with a new pair of Vantages... BAM! Upgradeitis (or in ML Club parlance, "Joeyitis." :eek: ) I knew it would happen, but this dramatically?! I find myself checking out Audiogon with much frequency these days.

Actually before I got the Vantages, I was in upgrade mode. Now it's even worse! Despite that, there are a few things holding me back. Here are my thoughts...

1) A new preamp.

Want to start small and build from there. I've heard great things about the Parasound P3. Called Parasound tech dept. and was told that it is meant as a dedicated 2ch preamp and cannot be integrated into an HT system (no passthrough capabilities). Called Pioneer (I am using a 74TXvi as an HT processer/preamp; had been using a 49TXi) and was told "only our 59TXi has a passthrough option."

I don't want to buy an HT receiver or pre/pro separate until the HDMI/Dolby Digital Plus/DTS-HD technologies are fully incorporated into manufacturers' next generation models (BTW, the Pioneer rep said they would be introducing new models "sometime around Sept.").

So until I get an HT receiver or pre/pro that is either up to the task of functioning as a high-quality 2ch preamp (can you say "expensive?"), or at least one that allows one to be integrated into the HT system (i.e., 2ch passthrough option), I will wait on this upgrade...

2) CD player, or CD transport and DAC, or high end music server (Transporter anyone?)

I've been looking at a few budget players, like a used Rega, Music Hall, or Rotel. I've also been researching budget DACs. I'm currently using an Oppo 970 w/o an external DAC now, which I like a lot, but I bought it knowing that I would want to move up in the not too distant future. I've might have made a move already except that I'm intrigued by the possibilites of something like a Slimdevices Transporter. The only drawbacks I see with that unit so far (besides not having auditioned one yet!) are a) price b) hard drive size and c) time-consuming nature of ripping CDs to hard drive.

I'm also in a wait-and-see mode here. Would like to see a bigger hard drive on the next gen Transporter (or other server) and the price drop below $1K. If that is another year, then so be it. I might go for a CD player soon anyway. Definitely will hold off on the server and DAC for now, though...

3) A new amp (isn't that always the case?).

I am currently using a Sunfire Grand Cinema 5 for HT and music. An obviously dramatic improvement over the 74TXvi (or 49TXi) interal amps. I really want the Class A sound, though. For a realistic "sometime soon" upgrade, I've been looking at the Parasound A51 to replace the Sunfire, or A21 to add to it. If I really go for it, then the JC1s. Would also like to audition Pass Lab or Plinius in my system at some point.

I would do this upgrade after the others, or at least in conjunction. Which leaves me at this point. I think I'll just do some tweaks in the meantime, and maybe get serious about room treatments.

My apologies for the long-winded post, but I think some of you might be where I am at this point. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Anthony

Anthony,

You also might want to get a really good CD player, or do what I'm going to do and get one modded.

Have you considered auditioning a tube amp? Or maybe a tube pre-amp. Since you have vantages, I'd take a shot at a tube amp since the woofers are already powered.

Erik

Anthony, Good evening, sounds like fun times ahead ! I would recomend that when selecting your two channel pre-amp pick one with the HT 'pass through' capability, it does make life simpler !

As you know I'm an ARC guy, but if tubes are in your thinking then along with ARC..... BAT,Cary and CJ all should be given their due consideration.

Anthony, Good evening, sounds like fun times ahead ! I would recomend that when selecting your two channel pre-amp pick one with the HT 'pass through' capability, it does make life simpler !

As you know I'm an ARC guy, but if tubes are in your thinking then along with ARC..... BAT,Cary and CJ all should be given their due consideration.

Dave which ones do you recommend that have the HT pass-thrus? I am looking a way around my AVR to allow separate 2-channel. Does VTL fit in your list? I suppose after a pre-amp I must upgrads amps. My Rotel would be pos? ;)

Brad

Dave which ones do you recommend that have the HT pass-thrus? Does VTL fit in your list? Brad

Brad, By no means am I slighting VTL, excellent stuff, to the best of my knowledge I believe their pre's have a HT 'pass through'.

As far as ARC it all depends on your budget, but dont worry, for as little as 1k (used on the "Gon") you pick up a LS-16, which is a fine pre. Then again if you want to treat yourself like Seth did, climb the ladder up to the REF 3 for 9-10k !! I'm using the LS-26, which IMO, might just be the 'diamond in the rough' as far as performance -to-price ratio in the ARC line-up.

Anthony,

You also might want to get a really good CD player, or do what I'm going to do and get one modded.

Have you considered auditioning a tube amp? Or maybe a tube pre-amp. Since you have vantages, I'd take a shot at a tube amp since the woofers are already powered.

Erik

Erik,

I will consider a tube preamp when the time comes. Actually, I do want to put tubes somewhere in my 2ch path eventually, so I am definitely not ruling out tube preamps. I probably won't do tube amps, though. I would prefer to find SS amps that are not too harsh. That's why Parasound, Plinius, and Pass are on my list. I do really like Cary tube amps, though.

Dave,

That's exactly what I'm thinking about. Ideally, the 2ch preamp and the next receiver or HT preamp will both have this capability.

As for tubes, see my post above. I haven't heard ARC or CJ amps, but BAT and Cary have both impressed me in the past, especially Cary. I worry about how fast the tubes would be in the HT setup. Anyone out there using tubes on their fronts when in HT mode?

I will consider a tube preamp when the time comes. Actually, I do want to put tubes somewhere in my 2ch path eventually, so I am definitely not ruling out tube preamps. I probably won't do tube amps, though. I would prefer to find SS amps that are not too harsh. That's why Parasound, Plinius, and Pass are on my list. I do really like Cary tube amps, though.

They say MBL fit that bill too, but they are MUCH harder to find and at least as expensive as the amps you listed... They look SO SWEEETTTT though! I do like the blue glow of the Pass I have to admit...put 'em in a black case and I would be TOTALLY SOLD!

I just bought an ARC REF-3, PH-7, Shelter 9000 and have Ayre MR-X mono blocks auditioning in my basement. Its a sickness I tell ya. :eek: But it sure is fun. :D Good luck finding the right components and accessories it truely is a never ending story.....Steve

Stesom, how do the Ayre monoblocks sound?

I like the suggestions I've gotten so far, so I thought I would illustrate a bit better what I'm looking to do. I am looking at this kind of setup:

1) Source (CD player, turntable, etc.) >>>

2) Coaxial or Toslink cable from CD and other digital sources >>>

3) DAC >>>

4) analog interconnects (balanced or unbalanced) >>>

4a) phono cable from turntable >>>

5) 2ch tube preamp w/HT bypass >>>

6) analog interconnects >>>

7) HT Receiver w/Direct mode (to selectively defeat the receiver's processing when in 2ch mode) >>>

8) analog interconnects from preout >>>

9) Amp (either a 5 or 7ch HT amp, or a dedicated 2ch amp, or monoblocks.

I would like the 2ch preamp to have a remote control and the option of acting as a pass through when my system is in multi-channel mode. Anyone out there with a setup similar to this?

Stesom, how do the Ayre monoblocks sound?

I decided to buy them, so I will post a review when I get some more listening time in. I really was torn between the Ayre and the ARC Ref-210s they are very close which is cool considering one is SS and the other is Tube.....Steve

I would like the 2ch preamp to have a remote control and the option of acting as a pass through when my system is in multi-channel mode. Anyone out there with a setup similar to this?
I have everything but the Phono in your setup list - but my current Pre could have come with phono section, but I bought the Line Stage as I do not run vinyl. Also had a DAC at one time too, but sold it when I had my player modified.

All of this is possible for you. Just depends on the budget and the sound you are looking for when considering the components.

Back