Uh oh... does Joey have new speakers???!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Does Joey have new speakers?

Does Joey have a bottomless bank account? :eek:

Does Joey have an acute exacerbation of the "Joeyitis"?

And finally, does Joey always refer to himself in the 3rd person???

DSC00859.jpg

DSC00862.jpg

Only time will tell... for now... it's top secret!

Your friendly neighborhood Kid,
Joey ;)

Last edited:
Joey needs to pull his Summits away from the walls.

Joey does not need a bottomless bank account to afford a pair of Onix Strata for $1600.

Joey needs to explain how this particular pair found its way into his home, and how the Strata sound. Urgently. Now.

Come on, man, spill it.

Joey has Photo Shop on his computer.

Place them in the back for rear surrounds.

Nah... the president of AV123, Mark Shifter, sent me his personal pair (for free) so I could hear them against the Summits and post a review on his forum. Apparently many are waiting on my review before they press the "buy it now" button on the checkout lane so this has some pressure.... am I getting paid for this?! :mad:

That is all people! There is no changing of speakers here... just another adventure in audio-land. So I get to review the Minis and I get to hear them in my room versus the Summits... cant ask for more. Only bad part is that the Minis (despite their name) were 140lbs a piece CRATED!! I was like whatttttt??

That's the beauty about the MLs, they dont break your back! Atleast the newer generations dont. Not sure about you Prodigy owners with your 6 total boxes. :eek:

So far, the audition is going pretty good. These Minis are the same speakers that Mitt (Tim) saw at the RMAF. My impressions of them are pretty favorable.

BUT, as my friend who came by yesterday attested, they are no Summit-killers. Not by a longshot. In fact, for a $2K speaker, they do many things well... but it's interesting to note, that once these are next to the Summits (as poorly positioned as some of you think), I am able to appreciate the Summits more and more! Sometimes, I get so used to the Summit sound that I become non-chalant about it... a little bit blase (sp?) about it... I may even take it for granted at times. But to bring back my reference point down to earthly levels via a $2K speaker... the Summits truly truly TRULY shine in all aspects, from bass to treble. Unabashedly SPECTACULAR and ASTONISHING!

The Summits are my dream speakers and the more I think about it.... if they are properly positioned, properly fed with good power and source (and that wonderful tube pre), I can end my journey with the Summits (for real) and be done.

:D

Though the Super Summits coming out within a few years has piqued my curiousity... hahahha!!

Joey

The crated box pics!
DSC00858.jpg

Last edited:
Joey_V said:
Sometimes, I get so used to the Summit sound that I become non-chalant about it.....The Summits are my dream speakers and the more I think about it.... if they are properly positioned, properly fed with good power and source (and that wonderful tube pre), I can end my journey with the Summits (for real) and be done.

Anybody willing to demo a pair of CLS + Sub to Joey ? The kid needs somebody pushin' his reset button :D

Congratulations Joey! ~ Excellent Choice... You'll Do A Fine Review For The ML Club!

Joey_V said:
Nah... the president of AV123, Mark Shifter, sent me his personal pair (for free) so I could hear them against the Summits and post a review on his forum. Apparently many are waiting on my review before they press the "buy it now" button on the checkout lane so this has some pressure.... am I getting paid for this?!

The Summits are my dream speakers and the more I think about it.... if they are properly positioned, properly fed with good power and source (and that wonderful tube pre), I can end my journey with the Summits (for real) and be done.
Joey,

Come, Come now Joey... We know you better than that.... The Super Summits will come out and 'The Kid' will be there as well. A couple of the things I can count on in life, that is: the sun will rise and Joey will up-grade. ;) :D

Robin said:
A couple of the things I can count on in life, that is: the sun will rise and Joey will up-grade. ;) :D

How true Robin, how true !!!!

Robin said:
A couple of the things I can count on in life, that is: the sun will rise and Joey will upgrade.

Joeyitis: the medical science's fresh challenge for the new millenium. Also known as:

- When you have to, you have to;
- It must be mine;
- it's got "joey's" all over it
- da summit - only at Joey's

:D

Joey,
Offhand, I'd say price-wise, it's a most unfair comparison with the Summits costing 5 times more.
Hope you're not actually listening with the speakers directly on either side of you!
Finally, I have noticed that placing another speaker of that height closely beside a Summit closes up the soundstage of the latter.
Ben

Here's the review all you people... I seem to have gotten a good response.

What I said in the review is true and not a sugar coat of anything. The Summits still win... by a wide margin. BUT, the Minis are certainly solid speakers in their own right.

And, NO... I do not listen to them critically from the keyboard area, Ben.

Joey

Strata Mini (vs ML Summits, sort of.. but not really)

Thanks for the link Joey, Nice review.

I wonder how many people are going to use a $6,000 amp on a $1600 speaker thou? :D

Zip3kx07 said:
Thanks for the link Joey, Nice review.

I wonder how many people are going to use a $6,000 amp on a $1600 speaker thou? :D

LOL. :D :p

Mosaic Vs Strata

An interesting comparison would be how did they did against the Mosaic's!

Willie

Great Review!

Joey,

Your review was very articulate as well as very well written. :D Great job Joey! I loved reading about the Minis... Considering I never heard of them till now, your review was extremely informative and gave me a real understanding of your experience with the Minis. :)

Very nice write-up, Joey. Now I want one pair each of Summits and Stratas! Well, almost, since the Minis seem to be such a good deal.

Which raises the all important question: how would you rate the Stratas compared to Vantages?

fallencr said:
An interesting comparison would be how did they did against the Mosaic's!

Willie

Difficult to say... but I would say that aside from the Minis having better bass than the Mosaic, both in definition and extension....

The Mosaics would be a truly tough act to beat up in the midrange and upper registers.

Joey

Robin said:
Joey,

Your review was very articulate as well as very well written. :D Great job Joey! I loved reading about the Minis... Considering I never heard of them till now, your review was extremely informative and gave me a real understanding of your experience with the Minis. :)

Thank you thank you!

I hope I conveyed what I thought in a coherent manner.. judging by the response of 9 pages, I suppose I did.

Though I wasnt going to hold back any punches... if they sounded bad, I would've posted that too.

:)

Latest posts

Back