Tubes or HT reciver?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Thanks for all the insight you have given me. :bowdown:

Here is whats going on...

Im trying to decide on which amp to use in my 2.1 system(Areius i/dynamo) I use them for 75% TV/games/dvd watching and 25% music in a small-ish condo. So listening levels stay low.

The first amp i own is a Jolida 202a tube amp @40wpc. It sounds great but it doesnt have a remote or subwoofer output.

The seond i have is a very nice Pioneer 1014 THX HT reciver @ 110wpc.
LINK:
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/pioneer/PRD_327656_2718crx.aspx

I like that it has a remote, subwoofer output and that i can bi-amp the Areius i. It also sound great but slightly less warm than the Jolida. In fact i think it sounds better than the Jolida on some material. I that posible?!

Ive listen to both for about a month each and i can decide which to keep. As i am going to sell the one or the other. So i was looking for some kind of help.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the insight you have given me. :bowdown:

Here is whats going on...

Im trying to decide on which amp to use in my 2.1 system(Areius i/dynamo) I use them for 75% TV/games/dvd watching and 25% music in a small-ish condo. So listening levels stay low.

The first amp i own is a Jolida 202a tube amp @40wpc. It sounds great but it doesnt have a remote or subwoofer output.

The seond i have is a very nice Pioneer 1014 THX HT reciver @ 110wpc.
LINK:
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/pioneer/PRD_327656_2718crx.aspx

I like that it has a remote, subwoofer output and that i can bi-amp the Areius i. It also sound great but slightly less warm than the Jolida. In fact i think it sounds better than the Jolida on some material. I that posible?!

Ive listen to both for about a month each and i can decide which to keep. As i am going to sell the one or the other. So i was looking for some kind of help.

Thanks in advance.

-Matt

You'll get advice on both sides of the fence. I vote for tubes. The Jolida may not have enough power for your speakers, though. Ultimately, it's your own call!

Matt, I'm not a big fan of cheap tube power - although I am a big tube fan. I owned that very Jolida which drove my old Klipschorns for a while. I thought the sound was very average and there was a lot of transformer hum. I replaced it, after numerous reliability problems, with a s/s amplifer.

There are lots of better quality tube amps around if that's the way you want to go. Try the better quality Jolida's or even Consonance if you want to stick to the Chinese stuff.

I would keep your Pioneer in the meantime and save your money for a decent tube ampliifier...

Last edited:
Agree with Edwinr. Given your usage needs, the Pioneer sounds like a perfect fit for you. Sell the Jolida and if you want to purchase a better tube amp down the road, then you can. But if you are only listening to music 25% of the time, I would just stick with the Pioneer for now.

tubes or avr?

thanks for your input!

I replaced the stock asian tubes in favor of some russian ones. Made a nice change.

From what im reading tubes are kinda over-kill for DVDs/TV huh?

Im doing another A/B over the weekend to make my mind up. Where is a good place to sell. BTW i dont have the factory boxes. darn.

thanks for your input!

From what im reading tubes are kinda over-kill for DVDs/TV huh?

Im doing another A/B over the weekend to make my mind up. Where is a good place to sell. BTW i dont have the factory boxes. darn.

No, tubes aren't over kill for DVDs or HD broadcast where the sounds are familiar (doors slamming, other everyday sounds, etc.) and of high audio fidelity, and good reproduction is a requirement IMO. Maybe for standard broadcast TV it is overkill but of the two units mentioned I'd lean towards the tubed unit.

How about getting some other amplifiers available local stores to tryout?
Maybe you find something you really like and you can sell both Jolida and Pioneer. You know when you know...

Back