Tubes and SS

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of this talk about tube pre's is killing me. I so wish I had a BAT vk-5i right now.

Preamp update

Received my LS-25 and listened for a few days. The sound was cleaner and better placement of instruments, but the vocals were weak and not the forefront of the image.
I talked with a couple tube gurus about the tubes in the preamp ( 4 Electro Harmonix 6922 gold pins) and the other equipment I was using. Got interesting information in different directions as far as what to use.
I purchased a set of JJ E88CC (low cost) and a set of Amperex Holland goldpin (not so low cost).
I installed the JJs last night and listened for about 3 hours. The vocals were much better but the sound overall was less spacious and accurate. Not surprising from a new tube i guess.
After only 3 hours I was surprised how much better they sounded. The imaging had improved and depth of placement for instruments was much better. I was told it would take any where from 10 - 25 hours for them to settle in to the sound they would have.
Once these have reached their sound I will switch back to the SS pre I was using to see how it compares.
So far of the upgrades I have made the Krell Standard SACD/CD player has made the biggest difference followed by the ARC Classic 120 power amps.
I'll be back once they settle in and I have received the other tubes to compare.

One combination I can suggest which really goes against the grain is to try out a solid-state preamp with tube main amps. A few years ago I did just that, with my previous car's audio system! I used a McIntosh MX-401 CD preamp-tuner, with a homebrew tube amp, fed by an old police car's radio/tranceiver switching supply to provide the necessary high voltage. It sounded incredible! Great soundstage, bass, and transient response. The amp I made was done with 6V6 output tubes for perhaps 12 watts / channel, but it had the presence of a much more powerful system. It might be worth a try in a home audio environment.

I purchased a set of JJ E88CC (low cost) and a set of Amperex Holland goldpin (not so low cost).
I'll be back once they settle in and I have received the other tubes to compare.

Brad, glad to hear things are moving in the right direction with your ARC gear. I'm using Amperex Holland 12AU7's in my Cary 303/300 CD player and couldn't be happier.

One combination I can suggest which really goes against the grain is to try out a solid-state preamp with tube main amps. A few years ago I did just that, with my previous car's audio system! I used a McIntosh MX-401 CD preamp-tuner, with a homebrew tube amp, fed by an old police car's radio/tranceiver switching supply to provide the necessary high voltage. It sounded incredible! Great soundstage, bass, and transient response. The amp I made was done with 6V6 output tubes for perhaps 12 watts / channel, but it had the presence of a much more powerful system. It might be worth a try in a home audio environment.

Or a tube amp an no traditional preamp. There are some great transformer and resistor based passive pre's that will work in just about any set-up.

Back