Tube Sound for Ascents

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ-Dog

Reaction score
I have decided to splurge for a tube amp to hook up to my acsents. OK, on a bit of a budget. I am looking to spend around $2,000 for a (presumably pre-owned) tube amp. Could be mono blocks or 2 channel. I recently heard Watt Puppies on a VTL tube - think it was 120 watt amp. This was the best sound I had ever heard(!!). My question is: Does anyone have any suggestions re the power capacity that will be needed to drive the ascents? I am looking for that wide, three dimensional sound stage and resolution or clean sound of the individual instruments - not too much to ask for, right?

Alternately, if you have tried a tube-amp with the Ascents and made a mistake - well, I would be happy to hear about what you did wrong (I will be sorry for you at the same time - promise) - so that I may gain your wisdom of what "not to do".

Thanks,
Andy

I have Audio Research monoblocks (VTM 120) driving my SL3's (which the Ascents replaced), and they do a great job, even though they are supposedly not the best ARC has built.

There is an ARC VT100 up for auction on Audiogon, and the auction ends tomorrow, Monday, at 9:30 pm, IIRC. The current price (reserve met) is $1,715, and the seller is Lyric Hi-Fi in NY. I have not heard that amp with Ascents, but imagine it would work well.

Highly recommend you bi-amp the Ascents with a tube amp on the panels and a solid state amp on the woofers. Just make sure the voltage gain is the same for both amps, or you will need an attenuator on one of them. Bi-amping in this manner relieves the tube amp from woofer duty and results in incredible sound - great dynamics, clear highs, liquid midrange, and solid bass. It also gives you a little more leeway in the power required of the tube amp.

I agree with Rick, tube on panels, transistor on bass is a great way to get the best sound, I think. I hear it's important to match the gain of the amps, though. If you choose not to go that route, I am currently using a tube integrated, the Jolida JD1000RC, on my Wilson Watt Puppies, to great effect. Do you already have a preamp? If not, to keep to your budget, I highly recommend the Jolida. For a transistor amp, check out Odyssey. They are very highly reviewed and seem to be a bargain, also. http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-stratos-stereo.html
You may then be able to buy a tube amp, also and stay within your budget.

Thanks all for your replies. Just FYI: I am not a person who likes the really strong low frequencies. In fact, I purposely disconnected my sub-woofer from my home theater. I much prefer the mid and higher ends. This is compatible with the tube-sound that I am looking for. I am looking for a sound similar to what the VTL amplifier sounded like (heard in a store environment). It was open, airy, had front to back and side to side recognition of all the instruments. This level of detail is what I am looking for. I am wondering if this comes with every "tube" amplifier or certain amps do this more than others. Does this describe your sound - anyone? Thanks,
Andy

Please understand that bi-amping isn't about getting strong low frequencies. It is about getting the best possible sound out of your Ascent's panels. By relieving the tube amp of woofer duty, it is able to excel on the panels without an added load. You will get cleaner, clearer, highs and midrange, with more palpable depth and width of soundstage.

To answer your question, every tube amp will have a different presentation. I had great luck with the Conrad Johnson Premier 140 tube amp on the Ascents. VTL's are great amps as well.

Please understand that bi-amping isn't about getting strong low frequencies. It is about getting the best possible sound out of your Ascent's panels. By relieving the tube amp of woofer duty, it is able to excel on the panels without an added load. You will get cleaner, clearer, highs and midrange, with more palpable depth and width of soundstage.

To answer your question, every tube amp will have a different presentation. I had great luck with the Conrad Johnson Premier 140 tube amp on the Ascents. VTL's are great amps as well.

Hola. Agreed 100% with Rick, and also you can use Cary audio. Try to get the amplifier with 6550Cs-KT88. They will drive your speakers very nice. The low frequency is better by SS, but this does not means that you can not use a tube amp to drive the dynamic woofers. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Back