Tube Amp Owners - help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shub

Reaction score
Hi -

I started a thread a few weeks ago about getting a tube amp kit that I saw on ebay.

I got some feedback from a ML owner who is using this amp to drive his CLS speakers:
Sorry for the delay getting back to you.
I am using the ST-120 amplifier to drive a pair of ML CLS full range electrostatic speakers and they sound great with the 120.
These speakers are well know for giving amplifiers a very tough time, the 120 dosen't get in any trouble.
I am not familiar with your speakers, are they hybrids, if so, do you bi-amp them? Can't tell if you will like the "tube sound" I do, should mention the amplifier is not soft it has plenty of musical detail and has good extension at both ends.

No listener fatigue, after several hours of music playback. Only thing I noticed was the power transformer runs hot after some time, get a small DC fan and the issue is solved, by the way it is normal for the heat buildup, I normally use a fan with tubes anyway so it is a non issue with me.
The kit is easy to build if you have some experience and take your time, as far as kits go, it was fun.
Power is enough to drive my CLS with ease in my 18x28 listing room. I don't listen as many audiophiles do, way too loud, I listen at normal live levels.

Wish I could give you more specific detail on how the amplifier will sound with your speakers, I would give
Bob a call, he is knowledgeable, honest and great to do business with.
Send me an e-mail if you have more questions, I'll try to help.

I feel pretty confident that my Vista's will play at acceptable levels since they have an SPL of 90db/2.83v/m whereas the CLS is 86db-- if it can drive the CLS I think the Vista should be a piece of cake -- am I wrong?????

To the tube owners out there -- is a ML/Tube combo a good idea??

My current amp is an Adcom 545 and it just seems harsh and bright....

Thanks for the feedback ---- I'm hoping to buy this thing today barring any really bad feedback

Bjarni

Last edited by a moderator:
Bjarni, I use a tubed integrated amp with my old Aeriuses and love the sound I'm getting. My amp is rated for 100wpc across the frequency band and 150wpc at 1khz.

I think there are alot of people here who are using tube amps with excellent results.

Search is your friend. :music:

hi,

i have driven my logans from time to time with McIntosh tube amps (MC60 and MC 50w-2) and i really like the sound that tube amps give to electrostats. when i moved the tubes upstairs i drive my quad-57 with the MC60s for a year or so. now they sit idle. sigh. but i do miss that sound.

Does this sound right - From Jolida's website

JoLida amplifers are only rated at forty, fifty watts of power output, that doesn’t seem like much power.

It is a rule of thumb that one tube watt is equivalent to two or three solid state watts.

???????????:confused:

JoLida amplifers are only rated at forty, fifty watts of power output, that doesn’t seem like much power.

It is a rule of thumb that one tube watt is equivalent to two or three solid state watts.

Perhaps these 2 threads will give you some more information:
  1. Thoroughly confused about power requirements
  2. Dynamic range and power claims
A good place to start is to have the tubes on the panels and your Adcom on the bass. You can always upgrade the Adcom to a better amp at a later stage.

Spike

Bjarni,

I've had several SS amps driving my Ascents, and have been pleased with the results. I just recently got a 100W tube integrated (push pull EL34). I can say that tubes and Logans are indeed a good combination.
I don't buy into the "1 tube watt is equal to 2 SS watts" however.
btw: The ascents are rated at 90db efficiency also, and I would think anything less than 60W would be under powered for my listening. That's tube watts, of course. ;)

I don't buy into the "1 tube watt is equal to 2 SS watts" however.
btw: The ascents are rated at 90db efficiency also, and I would think anything less than 60W would be under powered for my listening. That's tube watts, of course. ;)
Love the tongue-in-cheek post !

While Jolida has tube amps with forty or fifty wpc, they also sell amps with up to 200wpc.

Certainly not any rule that has any basis in science, electrical engineering or physics...

Most tube amps just clip a bit more gently than SS, what you're hearing is gentle compression before hard clipping.. Watts are watts.

Much tanks!

I am new here and I really appreciate all of the responses. Martin Logan owners seem like a helpful and enthusiastic group of folks - mighty refreshing!:bowdown:

I went ahead and ordered the ST-120 - seems like an affordable entry to the tube arena _ plus the kit aspect seems like fun :D

I will report back and let you know the results....plus one of these days I need to post a pic of my system in the new members section

thanks again!

I agree 1 tube watt Performs like 2-3 SS watt rating. I think it useful to know this, because speakers are mostly rated for SS gear. I've switched out SS and tube gear enough to know it holds true. I just switched back to my 40w rms tube unit from 115w rms Yamaha A/V. The tube is much more powerful..midrange was lifeless and flat. Now it's phatt and glorious.

I am new here and I really appreciate all of the responses. Martin Logan owners seem like a helpful and enthusiastic group of folks - mighty refreshing!:bowdown:

I went ahead and ordered the ST-120 - seems like an affordable entry to the tube arena _ plus the kit aspect seems like fun :D

I will report back and let you know the results....plus one of these days I need to post a pic of my system in the new members section

thanks again!

Good for you! Great way to gain knowledge of circuits. I would look into a fan. I use one on my U70. The amp is already overcrowded as is. Cooling fan will insure long tube life.

I agree 1 tube watt Performs like 2-3 SS watt rating. I think it useful to know this, because speakers are mostly rated for SS gear. I've switched out SS and tube gear enough to know it holds true. I just switched back to my 40w rms tube unit from 115w rms Yamaha A/V. The tube is much more powerful..midrange was lifeless and flat. Now it's phatt and glorious.

I guess to a point, but it largely depends on the amplifiers in question. Comparing a 115watt receiver to a 40watt tube amp is apples to oranges IMO.
I will say that if you have a 100watt ss amp and you're opinion is that it has about enough power for your system and listening, I would not assume that you would be happy with a 50watt tube amp.

I guess to a point, but it largely depends on the amplifiers in question. Comparing a 115watt receiver to a 40watt tube amp is apples to oranges IMO.
Agreed! The puny power supply of the mass-market receiver does not have enough juice to provide clean power to the amplifying section. Now, if you're comparing a well-designed 40-watt solid-state amplifier with a 40-watt tube unit, that will be a fair comparison. For example, I will put up a 30wpc Pass Aleph 3 or a 50wpc Krell KSA50 against any 50-watt tube amplifier any day and they will hold their own ground!
I will say that if you have a 100watt ss amp and you're opinion is that it has about enough power for your system and listening, I would not assume that you would be happy with a 50watt tube amp.
Not so fast, "having enough power" does not mean that the amplifier is musically better. Case in point, my 300wpc Classe' is NOT as musical satisfying as my 50wpc SixPacs. Even in toob-land, the ARC VT100 pumping out 100 toob watts per channel is not as musical as the SixPacs. In short, we can discuss circuit topology and implementation 'til the cows come home, in the end, the synergy of your system in your home, matching with your musical taste is the most important factor. What works for me might not work for others. As it has repeated over-and-over again in this forum... "trust your ears".

Spike

ML and tubes

I run a Cary SLI-80 (40W triode) for the panels and a McIntiosh 7270 for the woofers with what I feel are excellent results.
I tried just running tubes (also using ARC 100 MkII) for full range and thought the bass lacking.

Not so fast, "having enough power" does not mean that the amplifier is musically better. [/B]".

Spike

I couldn't agree more. I was only referring to power, as the previous poster was comparing tube watts to ss watts, no mention of how either sounded. My point was only that if 100watts ss was just about enough power for your speakers and room and listening preferences, I would not assume that a 50watt tube amp would be be enough. I had a 50watt tube integrated driving Maggie MG12s at one time, and although I liked how it sounded at low/moderate levels, I needed more power sometimes if I wanted to play loud.

Back