Transparent MM2 Power Cable for CLX

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrea,

Do you know how much these cables cost? Can they be ordered from Transparent in the USA or only in Italy.

And BTW, I have 4 CLXs and an affinity for all things Italian, especially prancing horses:)

Oh and I do believe in cables and power conditioners and the effect they can have.

Thanks

Power cables do make a difference. I just recently purchased Synergistic Research Power Cables. Three tesla T3 for my three amps. One Tesla T2 for my Mac Mini music server, and two Richard Gray Power cables for my subwoofer and Richard Gray Pro 400. It does make small inprovements if your equipment is pretty much high end.

Hey Joe, good to see you posting here again.

An affinity for all things Italian? You like the (human) models they use to advertise Ferrari?

Last edited:
Tuned means calibrated not rebranded. Is there any difference or it is still bullshit ?...

Maybe english is not my first language but maybe electronics is not your first knowledge.

Take a look to the link I posted previously about CLX ART Italia. Unfortunately, it is only in italian...

Addio

I was an electrician for many years, so electronics and electricity IS something I know about.

Can a power cable be "calibrated" to conduct electricity better than the properties of the conductor it's made from? The answer to that is "NO".

What possible "calibration" would they make to this that would make it better specifically for the CLX??

If some salesman told me, "This extension cord has been specifically tuned ie "calibrated" for use with this specific vacuum cleaner to make it work better. ", I'd tell him that he was full of shit and insulting my intelligence.

Your cable is the standard Transparent MM2 Power Cable. Nothing has been done to it specifically for the CLX other than that logo has been put on it. If you doubt that, you can ask Transparent directly.. I'm sure they'll tell you the same thing.

And again.. i'm sure it sounds better than the stock power cables..

I sure hope these "calibrated" cables were not more expensive than the normal Transparent MM2 Power Cables.

Last edited:
Dear all,

when I started this thread, my only goal was to share with you, hifi and ML enthusiasts like me, a moment of joy I have lived in what is my (but I think our) main passion (okay, okay, the "second" main passion...).

It was absolutely not my intention to cause a dispute about beliefs that are obviously personal and all worthy of respect.

What I can say, at last, is that also yesterday evening, record after record, I discovered detail, depth and body never listened through my CLXs. You can call me crazy but it's the truth. Remember that I was not (and I am still not) obliged to buy them. I could give back the cables at any time, but, obviously, it's something that I won't do...

I am not aloud to give informations about cost and availability of these cables. If anyone of you is interested, can contact AudioNatali, the italian distributor of ML and Transparent components. They are one of the main resellers in the world of these brands and very serious and skilled persons (that is so unusual in Italy).

At the end I agree with Gordon and Bernard: we have only to enjoy with our music and our stereo system. All the rest is really bullshit!

Regards

Andrea

I need to jump in here. This product comes at a surprise to us as no one in our office has spoken to Transparent about loaning or selling CLX to them to accomplish the tuning they state to make. As there is use of ML logos, we are going to reach out to them for clarifiation. This is not a condemnation of the product and can not comment on its qualities. As i use to work for a high end cable company, and we have loaned goods to that company for development purposes, ML is still nervous to imply a specific brand over another as we believe it should always come down to personal preferences. Products should be sampled before purchase as there differences that can occur that may result in a sound that may or may not be to a person's taste. I know the Natalis well and do not suspect any missleading situation here. More to follow.

Peter,

Luca, upset, has told me you have to ask Bob about it.

Andrea,
What I can say, at last, is that also yesterday evening, record after record, I discovered detail, depth and body never listened through my CLXs.
While I don't doubt that you're hearing significant difference between this "CLX" MM2 cable vs another cable, I would really like to know how a normal MM2 cable compares to the "CLX" one. If you have good relationship with AudioNatali, it may be worth it to audition the normal MM2 and compare it with your CLX MM2 to understand the differences.

Spike

Yes Peter,

MIT if I recall correctly which, FWIW, is the "other" company that utilizes "network boxes" in their cable designs.

Good post.

GG

Was there any further update on this? I am using Transparent cables through out, with PowerLink for my equipment but Reference on my CLX's.

Would be great to know if these cables do actually exist and if so the benefits over the RPL's.

Many thanks
Marc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Marck,

I can assure you the cables really exist and are truly amazing. They are designed and manufactured for the ML italian distributor. So, you have to contact them (www.audionatali.com and ask for Luca Natali) for price and availability.

Best regards

Andrea

A power cable, specifically "tuned" for a particular speaker? P.T. Barnum had it right!

Barnum

A power cable, specifically "tuned" for a particular speaker? P.T. Barnum had it right!

I popped open my long ago speaker cables (won't mention the brand) that had so called tuning boxes on them. All I found was an inductor tied in series with the hot leg of the cable...Felt ill & ripped off since. The joke is how much does one spend even for a more complicated RLC network if that is what's in there, maybe they spent time preparing the particular combo but that is still somebody elses' marketing & taste. I am curious as to the original OP'S engineering backround in what field? :cool:

Would be good to get an update from Peter on this.
M.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Guys, whenever these discussions arise I can't help but think about a quote from Ivor Tiefenbrunn: "If you haven't heard it you don't have an opinion".

Guys, whenever these discussions arise I can't help but think about a quote from Ivor Tiefenbrunn: "If you haven't heard it you don't have an opinion".

That's a complete copout, Bernard. We aren't saying the speakers sound bad or good with these power cords. But anyone with any sense can most certainly have an opinion that you can't possibly "tune" a power cord to "match" a particular speaker. It is a completely ridiculous proposition and obvious marketing hyperbole designed to separate the over-zealous audiophile from their hard-earned money. As Beek said above, if you took the box apart on that cable, I expect you would find that there is absolutely nothing of substance inside. I don't have to listen to them to know that.

Rich, I recently had a self-proclaimed engineering guru here who had some sarcastic comments that I heard differences between digital cables, based purely on theory.He had not done any listening, so as far as I was concerned he was not in any position to express an opinion; scratch that, he had no opinion, per Ivor.

Now here in this thread a guy reports on what he has heard, and again he is told that he cannot possibly be hearing anything special, based purely on theory.

What is the difference between the two cases?

You have to remember that the power cord is in effect part of the power supply of the speaker, hence whatever is in those boxes can impact the sound. "Tune" was obviously a bad choice of words on the part of the OP.

Last edited:
Now here in this thread a guy reports on what he has heard, and again he is told that he cannot possibly be hearing anything special, based purely on theory.

Bernard, no one has told this guy he cannot possibly be hearing anything special. No one has said power cords can't make a difference in the sound. I have little doubt that the Transparent MM2 is a fine power cord that could very well improve the sound of the CLX versus the stock cord. What others and myself are questioning is the idea that Transparent can take that power cord and somehow specifically "tune" it to better perform with the CLX (vs., for instance, my Summits or Ascents). I firmly believe that is a load of marketing BS, and I don't have to hear them to have a valid opinion about that. Not surprising from a company that charges over $2,000 for a single power cord. They have to come up with some way to convince people to buy them, so they say it is tuned specifically for your $25000 speakers. Oh, well, ok then, please ship me a dozen!

"Tune" was obviously a bad choice of words on the part of the OP.

What word would you have preferred he used? Obviously since they put the ML CLX logo on it, they are certainly trying to give that impression.

Rich, why are you getting hung up on the word "tuned", especially coming from someone whose first language is not English. Can I instead paraphrase him by saying, "Transparent took a friggin' doodad and inserted it into their friggin' box, to make the friggin' CLX sound friggin' better. Remember, as I said before, that a power cord can be considered part of the power supply.

I feel sorry that a newbie comes here to report his findings, and in return he is almost ridiculed, and his engineering qualifications questioned (as if that matters). Roberto's "trust you ears" comes to mind.

I find it curious that the three CLX owners who responded had a different approach, two of them asking where they can get this cable. I'd be interested to hear their findings once they lay their hands on the friggin' cables.

I'm done!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back