Towers with built in subs or not?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snyderkv

Reaction score
MLO,

I'm trying to increase floor space by replacing my Spires with wall hanging EFX all around + a Dynamo 700w powered by NAD T787 instead of current seperates

I have two questions

1) Does ML make a panel only (no sub) electrostat with near the same panel area as the Theos/Ethos/Spire? I'm not considering Magnapan researching them

2) Will the bass tightness/quality be better with a 10" standalone sub over the ones built into the Spires or would I be losing something with the downgrade there as well?

You can see in the picture that the EFX would mount on the side of the recess on each side of the screen, but afraid the tiny panel area on the EFX + sub won't cut it, or possibly, I would lose some sonic qualities but gain a smoother, tighter more integrated bass? I listen to 80% movies at medium levels for music as well

IMG_0309.jpg

It would be more accurate to not describe the built-in woofer as a 'sub,' as in the case of the Spire, it is crossed over to the ESL at 320Hz. Assuming (does anyone know for sure?) the xo is a typical second order (12dB/oct), it means the woofer is down only 12dB at 640Hz (and down 24dB at 1280Hz), so this woofer needs a decent (flat) mid-range response (which most 'subs' do not have).

I used to have the Finalsound 1000i speakers and they were brilliant, panel with esl bass, if you can find them.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know there were other flavors of electrostats and finalsound got really good reviews but obviously they are sold in low volume and no real website. I do feel safer buying from Martin Logan being a higher volume company with a much more professional site and customer service. I may have to settle for EFX :(

Last edited:
Back