Toshiba TV dead. Need help.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Amigos,

My tube TV just died. Need to replace with a 46" HDTV. Budget $2K. 3D not mandatory.

Any recommends would be most helpful.

Thanks.

Gordon

Gordon, for a 46", you can do waaay better than $2K and, in fact, you'll have trouble spending anywhere near that.

Panny plasmas are getting excellent reviews and their 46" ST30 model can be had for $900, direct from Panasonic. You may do somewhat better by shopping around. I picked up their 50" GT30 on Black Friday and the PQ is superb. If you can squeeze up to a 50" (smallest size), the GT model offers even better PQ and more features for a few hundred more.

As for 3D, it's hard to avoid. Cost to the mfr. is virtually nil, so it's built into near all of the better sets.

Gordon, I totally concur with Ken, but then I'm a plasma guy and love my Panasonic.

GG,

You may want to read up on the pros/cons of plasma versus LCD. You'll get better PQ with a plasma (IMO) and superior off-angle viewing, but the flip-side is that plasmas are generally heavier, more power hungy, generate more heat, and are prone to image burn-in (static logos, tickers, etc are particularly annoying). I'm also a Panny fan... though truth be told, I'm a Pioneer man - unfortunately Pioneer are no longer Pioneer men themselves (wrt TVs), so there's a bit of a upgrade challenge there ;)

Or, you could wait till the new OLEDs hit the street... but they will initially burn a large, smoldering hole in your pocket.

As for 3D, I'm with you... no desire, but then if your TV supports it, it likely has faster refresh rates (i.e. 600Hz) that help with smoother image viewing even in 2D mode (i.e. less judder during scene pans, action sequences, etc).

Then there's the whole universe of connected functionality... Google, Netflix, Internet, etc etc etc... which is wrth exploring assuming you want more content than what your Sat/Cable company can provide.

Good luck

My sincere thanks to everyone for all their input. The MLC is where it is at!

So all, what do you think about this deal through Amazon?

Panasonic Viera TC-P50GT30. Used with warranty for $825. List $1,900.

I believe that's their top model and I recall reading rave reviews.

:confused:

Seems like a no brainer.

GG

My sincere thanks to everyone for all their input. The MLC is where it is at!

So all, what do you think about this deal through Amazon?

Panasonic Viera TC-P50GT30. Used with warranty for $825. List $1,900.

I believe that's their top model and I recall reading rave reviews.

:confused:

Seems like a no brainer.

GG

Nice TV... but just be wary of the Squaretrade warranty (if that's what you're looking at)... seems some folks aren't getting hassle-free coverage.

Also, looks to me like a new one is less than $1900...

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT30 50-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV
$1,049.00 - Quantity: 1 - In Stock.
Condition: New
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

+1

I'd be very careful to examine all of the conditions and caveats for used TV's, including the definition of "Good" condition.

$1,049 is only ~$60 more than the Black Friday price I paid, so it's an excellent price. The GT30 line has a THX picture mode to die for, as well as a smaller form-factor than the ST model. VT is their top-line, but smallest screen is 55".

My brother and best friend just asked me, (a few weeks apart) for my TV advice and I recommeded the Panasonic Plasma. Both bought the Pannies and couldn't be happier! Excellent TVs for the money!

Taking into account the wise input provided, I've decided to buy a new GT30.

Local Sears dealer gave me a reasonably good price and I really try to buy local if at all possible.

Decided against an extended warranty. Asked numerous dealers and they all said these sets have an excellent track record. Hope that's true.

Had DirectTV install an HD dish and receiver today. Set arrives next Wednesday. Trust I will like my new plasma and HD TV.

Thank you all again.

Gordon

Last edited:
Taking into account the wise input provided, I've decided to buy a new GT30.

Local Sears dealer gave me a reasonably good price and I really try to buy local if at all possible.

Decided against an extended warranty. Asked numerous dealers and they all said these sets have an excellent track record. Hope that's true.

Had DirectTV install an HD dish and receiver today. Set arrives next Wednesday. Trust I will like my new plasma and HD TV.

Thank you all again.

Gordon

Congrats GG... you will LOVE watching HD programming on that new set. You will be floored - it will look even better than your MBLs sound ;)

And I almost always reject extended warranties... I think you did the right thing there as well.

Contratulations, Gordon. I'm confident you'll love that TV.

Yup, I also passed on the extended warranty. The Panny plasma I replaced was one of the very early models (720p!) and was still working great after five years.

Trust I will like my new plasma and HD TV.

well if you don't Gordon, I'll give you the $825 'used price' for it and you don't have to worry about the warranty......:cool:

Now, would you have expected a different smart assed comment from me !

Gordon,

Congratulations. I was going to suggest plasma as well but one that can be calibrated. Hope this one can. I am a kuro guy myself

Gordon,

Congratulations. I was going to suggest plasma as well but one that can be calibrated. Hope this one can. I am a kuro guy myself

Panasonic bought the Pioneer Kuro designs and employed a lot of the pioneer engineers when Pioneer got out of the plasma business I have 2 elites also and in my estimation the new Pannys are just as good these days see article below

Panasonic has been tapped to pinch-hit for Pioneer.

The two television makers said Wednesday they had come to an agreement in which Panasonic will produce the panels for Pioneer's plasma televisions.

(Credit: Pioneer)
The news comes a month after reports surfaced that Pioneer was pulling out of the plasma business. When Pioneer confirmed it would be finding someone who could make the panels more inexpensively than it could, there was a sense of dismay and disappointment among fans of its Kuro technology. Pioneer plasma TVs are generally regarded by experts--including CNET Reviews' David Katzmaier--as having the blackest black levels of any TV on the market.

In a joint statement, the two companies said they will build a new type of panel that integrates Pioneer's Kuro technology and Panasonic's NeoPDP, which it currently uses in its Viera TVs. Panasonic will have the panels sporting the new, combined technology ready for Pioneer by the second half of 2009.

Panasonic is the largest producer of plasma TVs, so the panels should be more affordable for Pioneer, which is trying to cut costs. Neither has said how much the panels will cost.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Rep.

Kuro did set the black level standard. I had heard that Panny invested in that technology.

Appreciate confirming the information.

And DAVE, if I don't like it, it's all your fault big guy. ;)

GG

Thanks for the info Rep.

Kuro did set the black level standard. I had heard that Panny invested in that technology.

Appreciate confirming the information.

And DAVE, if I don't like it, it's all your fault big guy. ;)

GG

Gordon enjoy the new TV you made a great choice

Hi all,

Field update.

Panny set up on Thursday.

All I can say is that this has been the best "had to" purchase I've made in a long time.

Video settings seem to vital to maximizing picture performance. But, I suppose, that should be no surprise.

THX settings are quite good but I think I prefer the "custom" set up parameters published in the "plasmatvbuyingguide" review of the TV.

GG

Gordon, you should see what a TV tech would charge to come out and really setup your plasma. I spent $300 on my 50 inch plasma, but it was well worth it. The tech actually gets into the internal service menu and calibrates the set. Does Jackson even have a local company that could be that? You might check it out.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new "toy". :D

Last edited:
Back