Time to say goodbye .........

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
to my 47 year railroad career at months end. Time to 'pull the pin' ! While bittersweet it's been a great ride and as a third generation railroader it all began 65 years ago, sitting on my fathers lap at a tower, 'RB', he worked outside of Buffalo.........

drb dads lap.jpg

Congratulations on an amazingly long career! And I agree, great photo! I love the lunch pail on top of the control panel.

The railroad industry has a fascination all its own.

Congrats on retirement. Three generations, that is incredible. My dad is a retired electrical engineer and a big time model railroad enthusiast. His basement is filled with two big setups. One is HO scale and the other is his childhood American Flyer setup. I dont know the scale on that, but it is a lot bigger than HO. I bet you have some really neat experiences working with the railroad.

Last edited:
Robert, American Flyer would be 'S' gauge. Yes indeed 47 years brought with it a lot of great memories, my younger brother a retired locomotive engineer stayed in the operating side whereas I transitioned into the management side in '79.

While I have two sons who are both engineers, neither one of which can 'blow the horn' (one is a Mech engineer and the other Civil). I do have two grandsons that perhaps will follow grandpa's footsteps !

Congratulation Dave. That is an emotion evoking picture of you and your Dad. I'm guessing you remember sitting there at the controls with him.

With retirement, no reason to not see you here in Wesley Chapel on your trip south. Covid knows it's not welcome on our property, so you will be safe.

Congratulations indeed, Dave. Good to hear you enjoyed a highly successful career in the RailRoad Business -- must have been fascinating! Love the photo!

FWIW, I am one of those who still have my American Flyer RailRoad Set from my 2nd or 3rd Christmas. My father was the one who probably insisted on my receiving that particular Christmas present.

Congrats on your retirement. I retired this year also. Pulled the plug (not the pin) on my 42 year electrical engineering career in July. I was actually offered a position at Illinois Central Railroad while interviewing in college.

Congrats on your retirement. I retired this year also. Pulled the plug (not the pin) on my 42 year electrical engineering career in July. I was actually offered a position at Illinois Central Railroad while interviewing in college.

gents, thanks for the kind replies and Brad, yes indeed on getting together next March while I'm down to Anna Maria, Good Lord willing !

jt, I wondered what EE's did when they retired(pull the plug), now I know ! FWIW the IC is now part of the Canadian National.

Congratulations Dave! I joined the retirement club myself last month after 45 years in the Industrial Design game, the last 18 of which were in Architectural Lighting. Enjoying the heck out of not working thus far, but have been busy enough I haven't really noticed a significant pick up in my available listening time. Enjoy yourself buddy...

Congratulations on your retirement!!

amazing photograph! I wish I had something like that with my dad.

I’m still working and hope to continue for a few more years. Enjoy your retirement!

Hola Dave,

Now is time to enjoy your beloved hobby more. Well deserved!!!. Congrats and have fun.

Please receive a warm hug from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Again guys, thanks for the well wishes !

Turned the company car in yesterday, now I gotta start paying for my own gas, LOL !

Wow, what a coincidence.... I just finally signed up to be a member of this Martin Logan Group less than a half hour ago after years of procrastination. I decided to see what is being posted/written about and this was the very first item I opened. Maybe because of the "Time to say goodbye..." (caught my subconscious eye?) but just yesterday my wife and I had negotiated our retirement date and exit strategy! (January 1, 2021).

So, Congratulations!!! 47 years, WOW! "Good On Ya Man", enjoy the rest of the ride and listen to lots of music, you have obviously Earned it!

PS... Loved the photo!

Back