These are the only two amp choices I have ... which to use with Vista / Fresco?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akm3

Reaction score
I know neither of these are ideal, but it's what I got, and what I'll use until I can snag a Sunfire.

Amp#1 Adcom GFA-7400. 100wpc, rated 150wpc into 4 ohms, no 2 ohm rating.

5 channels.

Amp#2 Receiver, HK 247. Rated 85wpc, no 4 ohms rating. 7 channels.

Now, both companies claim they are "high current" designs, and HK is generally considered to underrate (or, accurately rate I should say) their amplifiers.

I will obviously listen and try for myself, but my thinking is the Adcom is probably the better amp to use, and use the 247 as a pre-out. Or, use the Adcom just for the mains, and the HK for the rears or something like that.

Any advice until the Sunfire drops in my lap?

Thanks!

-Allen

my thinking is the Adcom is probably the better amp to use, and use the 247 as a pre-out. Or, use the Adcom just for the mains, and the HK for the rears or something like that.Allen

Allen, I agree with your 'quoted' thinking, adcom for L/R front mains and the reciever for the others, LFE to sub

Adcom -- bridged?

I know neither of these are ideal, but it's what I got, and what I'll use until I can snag a Sunfire.
I agree the Adcom. Can you bridge four of the channels into two if you're just going to use it for stereo?

I agree the Adcom. Can you bridge four of the channels into two if you're just going to use it for stereo?

unfortunately, I don't believe either amp has a bridging option :(

Adcom......Reciever will not come close to delivering specified power into your speakers. They tend to have very under rated power supplies.....Steve

I am sorry, its early and I had far too much to drink last night so this might be stupid. If his adcom is five channels cant he biamp his vistas? One channel for each panel and one for each woofer. He can run the other speakers off of the HK.

Last edited:
In this case I reckon try before you buy is a good option. Even though an amp is not rated to 2 ohms, doesn't mean it can't perform at low impedances. I used an 50 watt Atoll Integrated for a while with no 2 ohm rating. It drove my Summits very well...

In this case I reckon try before you buy is a good option. Even though an amp is not rated to 2 ohms, doesn't mean it can't perform at low impedances. I used an 50 watt Atoll Integrated for a while with no 2 ohm rating. It drove my Summits very well...

I agree with this wisdom, but I already own them both, and can't afford any different choices right now, so those really are my only two choices =D

I used an 50 watt Atoll Integrated for a while with no 2 ohm rating. It drove my Summits very well...

Edwin, Good day, the reason for not having a 2 ohm rating is that ratings for the most part signify the ability to ' coninuously drive' into that given load(more times resistive than reactive). While the Summitt's do present an impedence dip to around 1 ohm, it occurs at or above 15k, an area of transient content that places minimal amount of 'stress' on ones amp.

So long as the amp of choice meets the Speakers 'nominal' impedence rating and has decent current capability it should perform without damaging distorton.

I've just read a few online reviews and comments about the Adcom. Based on the mainly positive comments (in most cases 'praise') I would tend towards the Adcom over the HK. The extra headroom offered by the Adcom would have to give better sound with the Summits and in it's day this amp was second from the top that Adcom offered for sale...

Back