The Right Amp For My Logans

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waboman

Reaction score
I have two Krell amps currently powering my MLs. The center channel in my multi-channel Krell amp blew up. So I no longer have a center channel. This isn't the first issue with this amp. I'm going to have the amp fixed, then trade in both Krells for something else.

My Logan setup is:
Prodigies for my main L/R
Theater for my center
2 pairs of Scripts for my surround and rears.

I've talked to a few people and they have recommended the Sunfire amp for it's ability to mate with the Logans.

I'm looking at the Sunfire TGA-7401 (7x400 watt) power amp. However, I'm also entertaining the thought about getting McIntosh amps instead.

The MC402 (2x400 watts) and the MC205 (5x200 watts).

Is anyone experienced or knowledgeable on McIntosh amps? How will they mate to my Logans?

Thanks!

IMO, there is no comparison between the Sunfire and the Mac. I've had 2 Sunfires and have a lot of experience (though not owned) the Macs. The Mac is a much more refined sounding amplifier, stronger bottom end, smoother highs, better imaging, etc.

Another one you might want to consider is Odyssey. They're factory direct only but Klaus makes an excellent product - as much or more potential performance as the Mac for less money. I have a pair of their 'glass ceiling' Stratos Mono Extremes on my front mains that are just beasts and will drive pretty much anything.

Just my 2 cents.

Bryan

I have the Summits. I started with a Mac 205. McIntosh mates very well with Logans. I moved to the Mac 402. I could not be happier.

Originally I had a MC352 with the Vantage. I thought the sound was a match made in heaven. Until my dealer gave me a great deal on the 501's. This amp took the speakers to a completely different level. Once I went to the Spire, I'm in audio bliss!

Still, what you are suggesting is an awesome amount of power! You might be able to find 5 501's (used) or 3 352's to take it to a new level. I have not had a lot of experience with other amps in my system. I've found Mac to be very pleasing to my ear. There was more bass control and definition moving up from the 352. I like the mids with a bit of warmth and the Mac delivers. I was never able to drive the 352 to power guard levels with the ML's as I could with my previous speakers. Needless to say, I've not been able to hit it with the 501's. I believe that your combination will provide more than enough umph for a fantastic HT experience. One thing to consider is the "blue eyes" during movie time. They might become a distraction if set up in the front. But, they can be turned off.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a line and I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Gordon

As a sunfire owner - I think I can say that the Sunfire sounds great with the Logans... I have also listened to Mac equipment on Logans.... I love the Mac sound as well. I think it boils down to funds.... I think I would give the edge to the Mac. If funds were not an issue - or if you find the prices to be fairly close - I would probably go the Mac route....

As a sunfire owner - I think I can say that the Sunfire sounds great with the Logans... I have also listened to Mac equipment on Logans.... I love the Mac sound as well. I think it boils down to funds.... I think I would give the edge to the Mac. If funds were not an issue - or if you find the prices to be fairly close - I would probably go the Mac route....

Just re-read your post... Do you listen to 2 channel or just multi-channel? Movies or music? Personally - I would only go the Mac route for 2 channel music....

The positive feedback on the Macs has me quite excited. I was wondering how they would match up with my Logans. And from what I've been reading, it sounds like they will match up quite nicely.:)

If I do indeed get the Macs, the MC402 will power the Prodigies and the MC205 will power the Theater and all 4 Scripts. I know the Logans can be a bit power hungry, do you think this configuration will be adequate enough?

Just re-read your post... Do you listen to 2 channel or just multi-channel? Movies or music? Personally - I would only go the Mac route for 2 channel music....

Hi Timm.

I would say it's about 80% movies and 20% 2-channel music. But when I do listen to 2-channel music, I like to "turn it up." :rocker:

I think it boils down to funds.... I think I would give the edge to the Mac. If funds were not an issue - or if you find the prices to be fairly close - I would probably go the Mac route....

I will be trading in 2 Krell amps towards the purchase of these new amps. So that should, hopefully, take a chunk out of the final price.

I have the Summits. I started with a Mac 205. McIntosh mates very well with Logans. I moved to the Mac 402. I could not be happier.

Ron, those are the exact 2 Macs I'm thinking about getting.

Originally I had a MC352 with the Vantage. I thought the sound was a match made in heaven. Until my dealer gave me a great deal on the 501's. This amp took the speakers to a completely different level. Once I went to the Spire, I'm in audio bliss!

Still, what you are suggesting is an awesome amount of power! You might be able to find 5 501's (used) or 3 352's to take it to a new level. I have not had a lot of experience with other amps in my system. I've found Mac to be very pleasing to my ear. There was more bass control and definition moving up from the 352. I like the mids with a bit of warmth and the Mac delivers. I was never able to drive the 352 to power guard levels with the ML's as I could with my previous speakers. Needless to say, I've not been able to hit it with the 501's. I believe that your combination will provide more than enough umph for a fantastic HT experience. One thing to consider is the "blue eyes" during movie time. They might become a distraction if set up in the front. But, they can be turned off.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a line and I'll be happy to try and answer them.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I think I will probably go the Mac route. From what Mac/Logan users are saying, they match up quite well.

My components are in another room so the the "blue eyes" which I think are way cool, won't be a distraction during movie time.:cool:

P.S. I'm sure I will have many questions in the weeks to come. Thank you!!

While I still maintain that Sunfires work quite well, if you want the added 'prestige' from your amps, then please consider a set of Sanders amps.

Those are probably the best performing on our speakers.

Keep in mind, with your AVP, you can 'tune' the sound to just how you want it with that unit. With an Audyssey Pro calibration, picking your choice of target curve and any differences between this class of amps is pretty irrelevant.

While I still maintain that Sunfires work quite well, if you want the added 'prestige' from your amps, then please consider a set of Sanders amps.

Those are probably the best performing on our speakers.

Absolutely, utterly, and completely beyond pretentious!

EDIT: Thought I'd better qualify... the Sander's are probably great amps, but "probably the best" is pushing it a lot in my view. There are masses of great amps out there, and you will never know which "the best" one is, because you can't possibly hear them all. Anyway, it is all subjective. All points which I am sure JonFo is aware of, to be honest.

I'd recommend considering some ARC amps if you can - REF110 or above. You may find you prefer tube sound above solid state. I know I and many others on the site do, but not all, by any means.

Last edited:
I'd recommend considering some ARC amps if you can - REF110 or above. You may find you prefer tube sound above solid state. I know I and many others on the site do, but not all, by any means.

The Vantages that I'm currently evaluating are being powered by my tube-based PrimaLuna ProLogue 7s. The sound is fantastic!

Hi Gordon,

I think I will probably go the Mac route. From what Mac/Logan users are saying, they match up quite well.

My components are in another room so the the "blue eyes" which I think are way cool, won't be a distraction during movie time.:cool:

P.S. I'm sure I will have many questions in the weeks to come. Thank you!!

Any of the choices being recommended to you are fine choices. Some folks have a favorite and will recommend it without pause. What I find refreshing about this site is you won't get beat over the head and flamed over your choice.

Gordon

Keep in mind, with your AVP, you can 'tune' the sound to just how you want it with that unit. With an Audyssey Pro calibration, picking your choice of target curve and any differences between this class of amps is pretty irrelevant.

Jon,

You know the odds of me doing an Audyessy Pro calibration are about as long as the Vikings winning the Superbowl.:eek:

Unless you're going to be in the land of 10,000 lakes.:) Come on over, I'll throw a couple of steaks on the BBQ, we'll have a few cervezas, and you can Pro Calibrate my AVP/Logan setup.:D

Out of curiosity, as I'm still in the "replacing the Krells" planning stages, what do you have against the Macs?

Last edited:
Jon,

You know the odds of me doing an Audyessy Pro calibration are about as long as the Vikings winning the Superbowl.:eek:

Unless you're going to be in the land of 10,000 lakes.:) Come on over, I'll throw a couple of steaks on the BBQ, we'll have a few cervezas, and you can Pro Calibrate my AVP/Logan setup.:D

Out of curiosity, as I'm still in the "replacing the Krells" planning stages, what do you have against the Macs?

He, you need to hear my setup, that might change your mind about room calibrations ;)

Nothing at all against Mac, they are nice amps, very well built.

It's just that on MartinLogans, for that money, I beleive the Sanders is something to also evaluate. Free 30 day in-home trial, so no risk.

Jon, I can only imagine what your system sounds like. I bet it rocks!!:bowdown:

I would like to extend an invitation for you to come on up, have a few beers, and show me how to do an Audyssey Pro calibration. Assuming I can even find the mic that came with the AVP.:eek:

Be forewarned, it's a modest system compared to what you're used to.

I'll go get some steaks.:cheers:

Back