The Really Vile Gear Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Audio is supposed to be relaxing, and I can tell you it is anything but when you've got a corrupt ZFS RAID set when all you want to do is settle down for a listen........

I'm curious to know how many people here (in addition to thee and me) even know what a ZFS RAID set is, let alone have one...

I'm curious to know how many people here (in addition to thee and me) even know what a ZFS RAID set is, let alone have one...

I don't know... but at 16 exabyte max volume, it may take a little while to fill up a fully loaded farm.

Once was involved in a POLICE RAID, fortunately it was the wrong aparment, but they still kicked in the front door because at the time I was listening to Black Sabbath Paranoid at max volume and could not hear them politely knocking on the door.

Agree with Amey, when a RAID is corrupted it is a real mess.:D

I first learned of RAID as Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks, back in '92, when I was the lead testing engineer for a huge, eventually unsuccessful project. My team kept finding too many things wrong; not with the RAID, it worked as promised. I suppose there are many different words now in use for the acronym. I've also heard Independent used instead of Inexpensive. Back then, we measured in terabytes and the disks themselves were very large.

I first learned of RAID as Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks, back in '92, when I was the lead testing engineer for a huge, eventually unsuccessful project. My team kept finding too many things wrong; not with the RAID, it worked as promised. I suppose there are many different words now in use for the acronym. I've also heard Independent used instead of Inexpensive. Back then, we measured in terabytes and the disks themselves were very large.

Terabytes of storage in 92? Must have been a pretty serious project. That would be like.. what.... 2000-3000 disks in a cluster? lol

Last edited:
Terabytes of storage in 92? Must have been a pretty serious project. That would be like.. what.... 2000-3000 disks in a cluster? lol

Yeah, in 92, a terrabyte of hard drive capacity would have been RAED, where E = extremely expensive!!!:D

In '92 I did a tour of a bank for a junior school project. They had a database that exceeded 1GB.........I could comprehend no reason why any database could be that big!

Although, on the flipside - it goes to show how little you need to get some serious stuff happening in IT - the wastage we have today is colossal.

nor can I understand an all-in-one and proprietary music server sort of device.
I must say that I like the concept of a music server as I would then get to listen to CDs I have not listened to in a long time just because of sheer laziness - taking out the CD, inserting it into the drive of the CDP, etc. Would be much easier to browse through a stuffed Olive using my iPhone, and you could then call me Popeye. :)

When technology goes wrong it's a PITA, and when I sit down to listen to music, technology is the last thing I want to worry about. I think that right now I'll stick with spinning silver disks and black pizzas.

I must say that I like the concept of a music server as I would then get to listen to CDs I have not listened to in a long time just because of sheer laziness - taking out the CD, inserting it into the drive of the CDP, etc. Would be much easier to browse through a stuffed Olive using my iPhone, and you could then call me Popeye. :)

When technology goes wrong it's a PITA, and when I sit down to listen to music, technology is the last thing I want to worry about. I think that right now I'll stick with spinning silver disks and black pizzas.

"Stuffed Olive"... clever play.

And I have to tell you, getting the Olive (or any Music Server that works for a given individual's personal situation) has been like a commuted sentence. We are freed from those disc-shaped polycarbonate/aluminium shackles of drudgery. Gone are the missing CDs (which I guess were gone to begin with)... gone are the broken jewel-cases... gone are the kids/wife/friends hijacking your music... gone are the endless, incessant, mind-numbing walks between chair and transport... all gone (mad scientist laugh goes here).

A truly liberating mechanism that enables virtually pain-free electro/acoustic transduction. It's like trading in that 20yr old matress that's kept you tossing and turning for years... and suddenly your sleeping like a baby on your new temporpedic.

Have I over-sold it enough? Because I could go on.....

And I have to tell you, getting the Olive (or any Music Server that works for a given individual's personal situation) has been like a commuted sentence. We are freed from those disc-shaped polycarbonate/aluminium shackles of drudgery. Gone are the missing CDs (which I guess were gone to begin with)... gone are the broken jewel-cases... gone are the kids/wife/friends hijacking your music... gone are the endless, incessant, mind-numbing walks between chair and transport...

Fully agree..........it's brilliant.

I really used to have a problem with the concept of finding individual media when I wanted to listen. I also have very catholic tastes – one minute I’m listening to a Mozart flute solo, next minute it’s AC/DC. And now I’m able to find music and create playlists on the fly out of music that previously would have been forgotten.

I know it’s a cliché, but it really has completely changed how I use my music collection – and my music collection’s worth and utility to me. Not one word of exaggeration!

And now that the sound quality suffers not one iota (actually, I think it gains a small advantage) - there's nothing to lose!

Don't get me wrong - I still listen to silver discs (SACD) and black pizza, but only occasionally. When I do it is actually a bit foreign and strangely unfamiliar (being stuck with only 10-12 specific tracks unless I get off my butt and dig around, find another disc, take it out of the jewel, place it in the player, find the jewel for the other CD, put it back.....etc...…….reminds me of the days when I had to dig around and find the WordPerfect 3.5” floppy disk when I wanted to use a word processor.

And we haven't even started to mention the Internet radio / music service side of things........which is not a serious source (of course), but sounds every bit as good as highly compressed FM stations that no doubt use 128K MP3 as a source anyway!

Last edited:
Fully agree..........it's brilliant.

I really used to have a problem with the concept of finding individual media when I wanted to listen. I also have very catholic tastes – one minute I’m listening to a Mozart flute solo, next minute it’s AC/DC. And now I’m able to find music and create playlists on the fly out of music that previously would have been forgotten.

I know it’s a cliché, but it really has completely changed how I use my music collection – and my music collection’s worth and utility to me. Not one word of exaggeration!

Yeah, but...
I think there is something to be said for listening to albums, and not songs. When I put in a disc I almost always listen to the entire album (I'll skip some of the crappy, filler songs). A lot of the music I listen to - Classic Rock for example - has a theme throughout the album. That's why I have very few Greatest Hits albums; they have no flow, no thread. Whenever I listen to my iPod in the car or with phones I find myself jumping too much and not really enjoying the music as much. I realize you can play an album with servers, but it seems too easy to click another song. I'm not sure I would enjoy that as much.
Or it could be that I'm just too cheap to spring for a server.

Yeah, that project was pushing the envelope in a number of areas and that's precisely why it failed. Lesson learned: make sure the technology already exists before starting a project, no matter what the private sector promises.

This isn't the only thing I've worked on that was at the leading edge, back in '74 I was working on digitally synthesized gear, years before most people even heard of digital.

Yeah, that project was pushing the envelope in a number of areas and that's precisely why it failed. Lesson learned: make sure the technology already exists before starting a project, no matter what the private sector promises.
Yeah, got burned by that too, big time.

Yeah, but...
I think there is something to be said for listening to albums, and not songs. When I put in a disc I almost always listen to the entire album (I'll skip some of the crappy, filler songs). A lot of the music I listen to - Classic Rock for example - has a theme throughout the album. That's why I have very few Greatest Hits albums; they have no flow, no thread. Whenever I listen to my iPod in the car or with phones I find myself jumping too much and not really enjoying the music as much. I realize you can play an album with servers, but it seems too easy to click another song. I'm not sure I would enjoy that as much.
Or it could be that I'm just too cheap to spring for a server.

You do have a point - but for most of the time (for me) it's a non-issue. Very occasionally, I listen to an entire album (rock, jazz or pop) and realise it's nice. But mostly I tend to listen to a collection of songs - and for classical music, I listen to entire works, of which there may be one or many on a single album.

I just installed four new 1 terabyte hard drives in my ReadyNAS NV+ and I'm always ripping CD's, uncompressed AIFF files. A lot of good stuff that I can run wireless to the Squeezebox > Benchmark DAC into my main system or to my second Desk top system in my office. The only problem is it still sounds digital.

With vinyl, I can hold in my hand the album cover with the artwork and all kinds of interesting info. And to me, it just sounds a hell of a lot better.

I can only imagine what a terabyte worth of vinyl would weigh.

Fugly? You tell me...

Attachments

• nvplus_reflect.jpg
    nvplus_reflect.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 55
Back