The Really Vile Gear Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread per a suggestion by Justin (User211) in response to my posting the picture below in the "Tasty Gear" thread, and inquiring if it belonged there. For the record, I'm with Adam and Justin that the equipment in question is butt ugly.

Attachments

• mt10-front-source-l.jpg
    mt10-front-source-l.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 215
LOL! Great thread :)

Of course my very first thought was to post a pic of those horrific Apogee Duettas... but that's just way too easy. Plus I'm not sure my psyche could handle the inevitable CLX-retaliation ;)

That said - this early Philips disc player is arguably more effective than a cold shower IMO...

Attachments

• ft-cd_phil_3.jpg
    ft-cd_phil_3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
LOL! Great thread :)

Of course my very first thought was to post a pic of those horrific Apogee Duetta's... but that's just way to easy. Plus I'm not sure my psyche could handle the inevitable CLX-retaliation ;)

That said - this early Philips disc player is arguably more effective than a cold shower IMO...

Hm wasn't that a 14 bit jobbie? I think I had that one on loan for a while. It actually sounded really nice. Seriously! With two bits missing. It didn't have ear piercing treble, which my early Technics CD player definately had.

Of course we could put the CLX in here, and the CLS in the "tasty" thread, but I don't wanna upset Todd.;)

Last edited:
You know, if they put a ventilated metal cover on it, it wouldn't even be recognized as a turntable. That being said, I bet it sounds good.

What's the meter for rpm? That is really stupid if it is. Some companies should just stick to what they do best

Polaris never looked so......

Fugly!

I'm sorry, but a stunning penthouse view and all the expensive decor in the world can't help the... uhhh... aesthetics of these Buck-Rogers-gone-horribly-wrong squatroids.

I'm sure they sound wonderful in the appropriate application as most Wilson products tend to do - and no offense to anyone reading this who might own one (or God forbid more than one), but short of being hidden away behind some acoustically transparent fabric, these things are an an all-out assault to the optical senses.

Look at them! Just the sight of them has me spilling my martini and about to dry-heave right here and now!

Am I over-reacting? Absolutely. Is this a silly thread where over-reaction is an expected aspect of contribution? Yes again - or at least that's been the running theme.

Cheers

Attachments

• polaris_sunset_small.jpg
    polaris_sunset_small.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Todd, you're supposed to be looking at the view, not the speakers. The speakers are for listening purposes only :rolleyes:

Todd, you're supposed to be looking at the view, not the speakers. The speakers are for listening purposes only :rolleyes:

How could I or anyone enjoy the view knowing what lurks just a few degrees down the Z axis??? Your ability to ignore that which is satanically offensive is a mighty power indeed.

hrm... those are.... weird? The only thing I can think is why? It isn't even like they have a small footprint. What market are they aimed at?

People who collect toads and who have a strong affinity for anything which is "toad-shaped"....
:D

How could I or anyone enjoy the view knowing what lurks just a few degrees down the Z axis??? Your ability to ignore that which is satanically offensive is a mighty power indeed.
They are like a pox - they grow on you !

From their website...(edited by moi)

...Polaris was conceived to serve more than a single function. It is designed to solve architectural challenges such as where a tall loudspeaker would obstruct a window view or intersect a wall-to-wall theater screen....

Back