The Really Vile Gear Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the intended market? A very good question. :rolleyes:

I believe those are two Wilson Audio center channel speakers.

GG

Last edited:
Haven't we beaten the "medium" horse to death?

GG

Last edited:
If you could fill 1 terabyte with the music files of 1 album, then you might get digital to sound as good as vinyl. j/k :D

Well Gordon, it looks like that poor horse was buried at the Steven King Pet Cemetery. wack, wack, wack.

Now that's really vile.

Giddy-yup!

Satch,

Have you had a chance to listen to any of the hi-def 24/96 downloads from Chesky, Reference Recordings, etc.?

Gordon

Hey Gordon,

No, not really sure how to go about that or if it would be worth it with the hardware that I already have.

Tell you the truth, I mostly bash digital because I don't understand it very well. Analog sound waves make since to me. Trying to duplicate an analog sound wave with digital samples... my head hurts. :)

I have a NASA IT guy help me with my wireless streaming audio.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the response.

As for your question, I'm not a techie either but the basic variable, all other things being equal, is the amount of bandwidth (media storage density) contained on a particular recording.

I think both sides of the issue can describe their personal reasons why they prefer one medium over the other.

When people who don't care for digital cite reasons, it often falls into the categories of sounding mechanical, harsh, unextended at the top, lack of midrange body, etc.

I can only speak for myself but my current system, thanks in part to the newly acquired MBL 116's, exhibits none of those amusical anomalies.

Digital has certainly come a long way from the original "red book" format, recording techniques, mastering (jitter) and like analogue, all digital is not created equal.

I'm glad you like your analogue as I like my digital.

After decades enjoying this wonderful hobby, IMHO, the only absolute in audio is that there are no absolutes. Each individual responds to music in a subjective manner within the context of their personal system.

The bottom line for everyone, I hope, is to connect to the music, regardless of the medium.

Best,

Gordon

C.E.S. 'nuff said...... :p

Attachments

• !Bdsd28w!mk~$(KGrHqEOKikEq3qPh(1uBK6ErLR5Kw~~_3.jpg
    !Bdsd28w!mk~$(KGrHqEOKikEq3qPh(1uBK6ErLR5Kw~~_3.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 63
Back