the perfect room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi guys

Question for the room gurus i have some odysseys descent ..and i am making a room an i have two fixed dimensions a width of 15' and a height of 8' i can make the room as deep as i want from anywhere from 20 to 35 feet

Any length i should try to avoid that might create bass issues?

Also i have a choice of ceiling. I can drywall it or use a suspended ceiling using some 2x2 or 2x4 tiles w some acoustic properties. Thanks tim

Last edited:
Try to avoid multiples of 8' and 15' like 24' and 32' or 30' .

Try out: room modes calculator

Thanks MPS -- so you are saying a good length for that room might be 25 thru 29'... Is there any advantage going with a longer room - like 34' as an example? Right now it is an open pallet so I can try to set it up anyway that I want....

Floor will be concrete w/ carpeting.... Any negative aspects of that? I have had that setup before and I thought things sounded nice... Wood floors I find boom a bit ... so bass response is increased but I think you get a lot of reflection....Again, anyone can correct my statements or mis-statments ... I claim ignorance... Thanks Tim.

going with multiples of e (1.61) is recommended way.

8' ceiling gives you 12.9' wide and 20.75 feel long.

One more question the ceiling should i go suspended ceiling or dry wall? Dry wall would b cheaper , faster and i think gives a more finished look . But i can get acoustic tile for a suspended ceiling. What do you think?

Let's slow down here. There is a lot more to a 'perfect room' than dimensions and dry wall or suspended ceiling. Oh there are many good ratios in addition to 1.61.

Before you start do some research:

At the library, get a copy of one of the 'F. Alton Everest' books like:
"Master Handbook of Acoustics"

Go to the 'AVS Forum' sub-forum 'Dedicated Theater Design & Construction' and read some of the older threads on room construction.
http://www.avsforum.com/f/19/dedicated-theater-design-construction

One of are members has written about his room.
This is one of his threads:

'Room treatments – part 2 ' by JonFo
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?6931-Room-treatments-%96-part-2&highlight=

Last edited:
Let's slow down here. There is a lot more to a 'perfect room' than dimensions and dry wall or suspended ceiling. Oh there are many good ratios in addition to 1.61.

Before you start do some research:

At the library, get a copy of one of the 'F. Alton Everest' books like:
"Master Handbook of Acoustics"

Go to the 'AVS Forum' sub-forum 'Dedicated Theater Design & Construction' and read some of the older threads on room construction.
http://www.avsforum.com/f/19/dedicated-theater-design-construction

One of are members has written about his room.
This is one of his threads:

'Room treatments – part 2 ' by JonFo
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?6931-Room-treatments-%96-part-2&highlight=

Thanks for the links... I guess saying 'the perfect room' was sort of tongue in cheek.... Instead of sawing off the whole thing -- I was looking for small pieces... Things like - room dimensions and ceiling type - since those are easily things that I can control. An example: I have two fixed room dimensions that I can't really do anything with... but the length of the room can be anywhere from 20 to 40'....My ceiling: drywall or suspended ceiling? Simple...not too complex decisions....I think the dimensions and the materials used are probably the most important factor in a room... So without getting too complex - I essentially only had 2 questions...

Certainly I could take it all the way and do the 'downtown' job.... I'm just not there yet.. and not sure I want to quite go there!! I figured suspended ceiling or drywall would be a simple question.... I was leaning towards suspended ceiling with ceiling tile with some acoustic property - and figured drywall would be more reflective... but - if someone thinks otherwise - I'd like to hear it - since the application is easier and cheaper.

I also plan on putting in built in bass traps in the corner...angling the corners and filling in with roxul or some material like that.....

Because ML's are line sources, ceiling reflections shouldn't be a problem. Ceiling height does dictate modal behavior along the vertical axis, but the generally shorter dimension yields higher frequency modes, which are less obtrusive.

When I built my room I was surprised how much echo came from above. Much of this I believe was caused by the angled ceiling on 4 sides funneling sound to the flat horizontial area at the top that is 9' 6" above the floor.
Before adding acoustical treatment to this area just talking or clapping your hands would result in the sound coming much more loudly from over head than any where else.

As far as suspended ceiling panels they really don't offer much absorption. If you need access to above the ceiling and the suspended ceiling is a must you could add other insulation above the panels in the necessary areas.

Good luck keep us up to date with your progress

Back