The new CLX is HERE - Exclusive Photos!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crossover- 360hz..

That says it all... that and the 57 - 23khz freq response... I don't understand... ah well back to listening...

Will somebody enlighten me on this spec?

From the CLX Spec:

Additionally, CLX’s lowfrequency dipole stabilization technology eliminates low frequency rear wave cancellation inherent to dipole transducers. This is accomplished by increasing the air path length behind the CLX and delaying the out-of-phase back wave. The resulting decrease in lowfrequency front-wave cancellation increases overall output while minimizing total harmonic distortion at low frequencies.

What does THAT mean? JonFo, will you take a stab at this one?

Thanks in advance
Spike

That says it all... that and the 57 - 23khz freq response... I don't understand... ah well back to listening...

A $20K to $25K speaker that gives up @ 57Hz is not a deal. Maybe the spec is a misprint and it should read 27Hz which is a whole different ballgame.

Regardless they are "FUGLY" with a capitol F IMO.

What does THAT mean? JonFo, will you take a stab at this one?Thanks in advanceSpike
They put that vertical fence (seen in the rear view) that delays the rear (bass) wave from coming around and meeting/cancelling the front wave.
NeilFo

Well I know Martin Logan couldn't care less what I think, but either run the wood on both sides or don't use any around the sides and top of the panels. Just a little too asymmetrical for me.

I think someone in accounting was on the committee to build these. Trying to keep production cost down by using a Vantage panel mated to a bass? panel.

I need time to let this sink in.

'Taint the asymmetry that bothers me about the frame, tis the barn door styling cues of the frames stock. I'll take some dressing on those rough sawn's, please.
However, I once thought the Honda CBR1100XX was awful looking - until I got used to the style and eventually bought one. Much likely the same with these speakers, but I'll just have to sneer until fortune comes my way. I bet they sound like heaven though.

PS: Test mule, styling wise????

Ooopsie. Didn't see the last round of photos.
Bauhaus high rise.

'Taint the asymmetry that bothers me about the frame, tis the barn door styling cues of the frames stock. I'll take some dressing on those rough sawn's, please.
However, I once thought the Honda CBR1100XX was awful looking - until I got used to the style and eventually bought one. Much likely the same with these speakers, but I'll just have to sneer until fortune comes my way. I bet they sound like heaven though.

PS: Test mule, styling wise????

Ha ha. I think the new CLX looks good, but what do I know, I owned a Ducati 998 and I thought it looked good, too. :D

I was very pleasantly surprised with 57Hz. Asked Mr. Allen if the bass was coming from the Descent behind the CLX .... he promised to have the Descent removed. Descent was powered off :D:D:D

I don't mind the asymmetrical frame but my first reaction was that of viewing a Picasso painting for the first time where the women had her nose on the side of her face. You know what it is but the parts just don't look right the way they are assembled. They will look better when seen as a pair.

I am sure it would make the execution much more difficult but, I would prefer to have seen them as two separate panels on each side.

I am surprised they are narrower that the CLS series if I am reading the specs right. CLX 25 3/4" as opposed to CLS 28". If it had a frame on both sides they would be about the same width.

When we start seeing pictures of them in a real room setting they will have a totally different appearance/feeling to them.

They do lack that relaxed sensuous feeling of the single curved panel that we have all become accustomed to seeing.

For the money will they sound twice as good as Summit's or 10 times as good as CLS's? Only time will tell.

I was very pleasantly surprised with 57Hz. Asked Mr. Allen if the bass was coming from the Descent behind the CLX .... he promised to have the Descent removed. Descent was powered off :D:D:D

maljac, It sounds like you have heard them. OUT WITH IT. What else can you tell us about them.

It still looks like its missing something without both side rails. Like it's just one japaleno shy of a full taco...

Well ....... they do sound great. And loud. Without any signs of compression too. And without distortion. With great speed and clarity in bass. And the bass/mid-hi intergration is just perfect :bowdown:

I must admit I'm in the "disappointed" camp with regards to specs, and styling. I guess ML is conceding they can't really design a TRUE full-range electrostatic speaker that reaches the lowest bass registers. As for styling, I think it would have looked a LOT better had they symmetrically tapered the top and bottom "rails" as they did on the Statement (pic below). I can't imagine that there might be an audible reason not to do so. Perhaps they'll incorporate that in the CLX II! :D

Attachments

• statement.jpg
    statement.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back