The Continuum is here....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonepub

Reaction score
Just got the palette today...

The Continuum Criterion/Copperhead arrived at my door right
after lunch in a crate weighing 320 lbs!!

The FedEx lady said "what's in there?"

"A turntable"

"You mean one of those big DJ setups with the mixers
and stuff?"

"Nope, just one turntable to play records on..."

"What does it cost?"

"56 thousand dollars!"

"You are a lunatic!"

" :) "

We'll keep you posted as we get the setup accomplished.
The nice folks at Continuum are sending their setup guy
out to walk me through it.

31 years ago my first house cost $48,000........ and I thought then, that was alot of loot !

Jeff,

Looking forward to impressions and pics if you'll let us have a peek at your Continuum.

We will have a full feature in the April issue of TONE and we will also do a full article on the setup of the table that will be up on our website in "The Lab" section in about a month. Not sure when Rich from Continuum is going to get here to set it up.

If all goes well, it might even be sooner.

So we will fully document what goes in to setting this baby up. They are telling me that the "little" Continuum only takes about 3-4 hours. They are giving me the full factory training, so I should be able to swap cartridges on it pretty easily..

I'll keep you guys posted!

31 years ago my first house cost $48,000........ and I thought then, that was alot of loot !

Yeah Dave, and this is the "baby" of the lineup.

Jeff, I'm looking forward to your impressions and the full review.

Has anyone ever told you you're a lucky S.O.B.! I know - you work hard, it's taken you years to get here, yeah, yeah, yeah. You're a lucky S.O.B. ;)

I must admit it is a good day when stuff like that shows up at the doorstep....

Like my old boss Harry Pearson used to say when he still owned the absolute sound "I've got the best job in the world"!

Though I used to think Michael Schumacher and Hugh Hefner had better jobs than me!

:)

I must admit it is a good day when stuff like that shows up at the doorstep....

Like my old boss Harry Pearson used to say when he still owned the absolute sound "I've got the best job in the world"!

Though I used to think Michael Schumacher and Hugh Hefner had better jobs than me!

:)

Weren't you going to review a SOTA 'table?

What's the big deal? It's just another silly old out-dated record player.

**Chuckles to himself as he quickly dons flame-resistant suit**

Weren't you going to review a SOTA 'table?

Sota Nova review is in process. We had a few tonearm issues. It was going to be reviewed with one of the Origin Live arms, which proved to be defective. They were not able to get another arm, so I ended up buying a Rega RB1000, but it took a couple of months to get, then we realized that we needed a different arm board for it and the SME 309 that I was going to use.

So, I pretty much just screwed the whole thing up!!

But we finally have everything straight, so It will be done soon.

BTW, the SOTA is a great table and the folks over there are a peach to work with!

No, No. Just a silly attempt at tongue-in-cheek humor.

Rich hasn't come to see the light yet Bernard. You, Dave, Risabet and I (plus a few other vinyl junkies):D must continue to work on the assimilation. Someday, he, Joey and perhaps even Cherian will be ours (Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha). Then we"ll start to work on the leader of the Dark Force - Darth Jon Fo.:eek:

Rich hasn't come to see the light yet Bernard. You, Dave, Risabet and I (plus a few other vinyl junkies):D must continue to work on the assimilation. Someday, he, Joey and perhaps even Cherian will be ours (Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha). Then we"ll start to work on the leader of the Dark Force - Darth Jon Fo.:eek:

Ha Ha. Yeah. Good luck with that. Let me know how it turns out.

I still have all of my original vinyl, actually. About 50 or so albums. But they are all scratched and not in great shape. I was never really careful about being gentle with my vinyl. Perhaps that's why I prefer digital so much. I don't have to be as careful with it and I don't end up with snap, crackle, and pop on my music.

Seriously, that kind of money is obscene for anything related to this hobby (there are parts of the country where you can still buy a house for that much), and no it's not that I can't afford it, which I can't, but come on, how much better than a Avid Acutus can it be? (Can't afford that either) Twice as good, I doubt it. Than a VPI HRX? Five time better? The PODR is long gone with gear at these prices. I think that companies see a market based on conspicuous consumption and they are building products to fill it.

Last edited:
Ha Ha. Yeah. Good luck with that. Let me know how it turns out.

I still have all of my original vinyl, actually. About 50 or so albums. But they are all scratched and not in great shape. I was never really careful about being gentle with my vinyl. Perhaps that's why I prefer digital so much. I don't have to be as careful with it and I don't end up with snap, crackle, and pop on my music.

I couldn't in good conscience recommend anyone with only 50 albums to go to vinyl except those who want to have the sound of the real thing in their homes:eek: Not to say that digital isn't good and can't lead to musical enjoyment, it just isn't the same flavor as analog.

NB: Of my albums I'd say maybe 2% or about 30 have any SC or P and most of those minimal amounts at that.

You had only 50 albums when you were into vinyl ??? Does this mean that you now have only 50 CDs ? :p

I wouldn't say that I was "into" vinyl, so much as that was all that was available when I was a teen, except for cassettes and 8-tracks, of which I also owned a few. But I never had a lot of time or money for music when I was a kid. F.M. radio is how I heard most of my music back then. By the time I entered college, CD's had come out and that is what I began buying. I now own almost 2000 CD's, SACDs and DVDAs.

I still have a turntable and occasionally play a vinyl album. For me, the sound quality is not a big enough leap over well-mastered CD's and SACD's to make up for the convenience factor differences. I know others feel very differently about this issue, and that is great for them. But I don't see myself ever going back to vinyl seriously. I fully expect there will be higher resolution and higher quality digital formats coming in the future that will blow current media away, including vinyl. But for now, I am more than happy with a well-mastered CD or SACD.

I still have a turntable and occasionally play a vinyl album. For me, the sound quality is not a big enough leap over well-mastered CD's and SACD's to make up for the convenience factor differences.
I know what you mean about the convenience; believe me, I would like nothing more than to toss out all of my vinyl just because of the convenience. However, when I get lazy and listen to a lot of CDs, then go back to vinyl, I wonder how I could have strayed, as vinyl is so much better.

Back