The CLX Martin Logan should have built !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stumbled upon this picture of the Odiaze speaker at 6moons.com... talk about design!!!

Attachments

• odiaze.jpg
    odiaze.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 282
I doubt that the "air frame" would sound the same...

The wood frame is a functional part of the design. It dampens resonances and achieves a specific target resonance frequency of the entire speaker.

I would wager that ML had to do some tuning inside the aluminum frame to simulate the same acoustic performance with this entirely different material.

Here ya go , its a bit rough but you will get the picture !(Pun Intended)

I totally agree! Not only is it functional as a dampener its a baffle for the diffractions. Its no wonder they have a curved side and a rear wing !

The wood frame is a functional part of the design. It dampens resonances and achieves a specific target resonance frequency of the entire speaker.

I would wager that ML had to do some tuning inside the aluminum frame to simulate the same acoustic performance with this entirely different material.

I don't quite see how this can be - why then, are they using different materials depending on the finish the buyer specifies? Gloss, matte, aluminium, etc.

Now, I don't expect it wouldn't have an effect on the sound, but if it had THAT much of an effect then they couldn't provide customers with different finishes.

Also, some are curved, some are not - same thing - if the finish was integral to the sound then they couldn't play with the width, curve, etc., could they?

Vibration damping spray coat has been used on turbine engine gears for years. A thin spray coat dampens all frequencies on a gear spinning at 5 k rpm. (Everything vibrates/radiates at a natural frequency and is "conducted" to everything in the engine, if a compressor or turbine blade has the same nat.freq...premature failure)

Nowadays there are all kinds of vibration damping coatings, covering anything, even boat hulls (wood, fiberglass, or metal).

The ML metal frames firmly hold the stators...far better than the CLS wood frames. So there are better supports than wood frame. Of course you can still use the wood for "decoration".

AH YES! The curve! Very very important in rapid vibration dispersion....

The homework has been already done and the results have been copied in all sorts of applications.

Here's a fun hint. When you've got nothing better to do, look up and compare the shapes of:

1. A Ferrari F1 steering wheel
  2. The plinth of a bluenote Stibbert CD Player
  3. The base of the all-new Scaena speakers designed by Mark Porzilli
...it's not a coincidence :D

I totally agree! Not only is it functional as a dampener its a baffle for the diffractions. Its no wonder they have a curved side and a rear wing !

Thanks for the info Mr. Gunn. Here is an extract from the Stibbert CDP description (for everyone's info):

"The main plinth of the CD player chassis, just as the Bluenote best analog record players, is made of a 20mm thick black acrylic shaped like the Ferrari Formula1© steering wheel. Such special shape, designed to have totally non-parallel edges, increases enormously the structural rigidity, virtually eliminating any vibration feedback."

Back