System #452 (SL3)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMo

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Markus

2. Location: Stuttgart, Germany

3. ML Model(s): SL3

4. Year Purchased: 2009

5. Mods/Changes: - changed internal wiring to Fadel Art puresilver
- changed Terminals to WBT Nextgen
- dampening of the bass cabinet using anti-drone sheets
(thanks to Gordon - great hint!)

6. Associated Electronics:

Cambridge 840 E PreAmp
4 X AVM M1 mono poweramps
Cambridge 840 C CD player
Block PS100 Turntable with Cardas wiring, WBT cinch outlets and Ortofon 2M Bronze pickup
Trigon Vanguard II phono PreAmp & Volcano II power supply
Sonos Connect networkplayer
Wiring: Cardas on the phono side, Straight Wire Rhapsody S for the rest
Power: HMS wall outlet, MFE power distributor, powercords by Silent Wire, T&A and MFE, Quantum QV2
RDC spikes, SSC pucks and last not least some room treatment using Vicoustic Wavewood, Vicoustic Varibass and Basotect, custom made rack on Antispikes

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:

HiFi has been one of my hobbies since I was 14.
Over the last year I returned to this topic and, as it always is, it became more and more serious...
I came from B&W to Audio Physic Virgo because I loved the soundstage and the resolution; in 2009 I had the chance to hear some SL3´s in my neighbourhood... Addictive is the right word - so here I am! :music:

8. Here we go:

Total.jpg
My hideaway...

Poser Lights.jpg
That´s what I call my "poser lights"

Terminal.jpg
WBT 0703 on dedicated mounting plates

Last edited:
Thanks Mark!
Took a lot of work and time to build the rack and even more to place the ML´s (and even more time convincing my wife that I REALLY need a dedicated listening room!)...

Last edited:
Hi Markus,

Glad you found the cabinet dampening effective.

Will always have fond memories of the SL3.

Gordon

Good set up Markus, enjoy your ML's!

Hello Marcus,

Greetings from Belgium and fellow SL-3 addict. Any chance of getting close-up pictures of the turntable?

Dirk

Hi Dirk,
Sure thing, I will post some tomorrow!
Did you do any tweaks to your SL3's?

As I promised:

Total1.jpgSide2.jpgArm1.jpgFront1.jpg

It´s a pretty stable machine, sounds great withe the Ortofon Bronze.
A good thing is, that the arm can be adjusted in height whlie playing...

Last edited:
After only 7 months, my new panels arrived today!
The old ones weren't that bad, but as they were the originals from 1995 I just felt the urge to change them - though I was very pleased with my SL3's till now.
Picked them up at my dealer this afternoon and an hour later everthing was done :D
What happend then was just amazing!
Yesterday I thought I was listening to damn good speakers, today a completely new time started!
Allthough they sure need to break in, the addition of space and clarity is unbelievable.
Need to stop writing right now, there's some music that needs to be listened to:music:

good to hear markus.......may your ears be in heaven !

Hello Marcus,

Very nice system and thanks for the shots of your turntable. No I haven't done abny mods to the SL3's at this moment. I've played around with the idea of upgrading the capacitors as mentioned in some posts in the DIY section but haven't found the time (or guts) to do so.

Dirk

Nice. There's something about the appearance of the earlier Martin Logan models that inspires awe.

Thanks Dirk & Edwin!
Yes, "awe" is the right word (my wife propably would call it "fear"...)
I also didn't remember them that huge an impressive untill I found them in '09.
I first listened to the SL3 in 1997 and somehow fullfilled a youngsters' dream three years ago.
Dirk, you really should try dampening the cabinet, it results in a much more precise bass!
Changing the internal wiring and the terminals also improved the soundstage and resolution.

Thanks Peter!
Yes, the blue lighting was a great effect when I had some friends coming over for some music (and some bottles of good wine...) on the last weekend.
But still the best "effect" came from the MLs - just convinced a BOSE guy that nobody really needs little 5.1 cubes to be within the audience at Leonard Cohens "Songs from the road" bluray...

Last edited:
Back