System #338 (CLSIIz)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallacefl

Reaction score

1. 1. Bill Schulte
    2. Sarasota, Florida
    3. CLSIIz
    4. 2001
    5. no mods
    6. Bryston 14BSST
    Brenchmark DAC1 pre
    Rotel RCD 965bx
    Adcom SLC-505
    Tascam 3030
    Technics 1500
    ACI Saturn sub/Oaudio amp
    Modwright Transporter
    7. I purchased my first ML's in Cincinnati, Oh. I had gone in to audition a CD player and ended up buying the speakers and the CD player. I heard my brother-in-laws CLS and had to have a pair.

Attachments

• 004 (640x428).jpg
    004 (640x428).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,009
  • 009 (428x640).jpg
    009 (428x640).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,009
  • 012 (640x428).jpg
    012 (640x428).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,001
  • 014 (640x428).jpg
    014 (640x428).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 999
  • 064 (640x480).jpg
    064 (640x480).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,007
Hi Bill,

Both of your reel to reels look brand new. I bet they sound awesome! I should be getting a modded Tascam BR-20 by next week. Do you have a good part of your music collection on tape?

Ray

I bought both R2R off Ebay years ago. The Tascam was likely NIB!...the Technics is in good shape....I have been sorta a R2R nut...I have had 13 different ones but kept these as my two favorites. I have only about 50 tapes left as I digitalized all my analog a couple years back(sold the turntable). The big oak "lump" between the ML's is the Saturn subwoofer.

Nice System, neighbor!

I really dig the R2R's! I always wanted to get my hands on one of those Technics R&B Series machines, but never managed it.

Do you listen to original pre-recorded stuff, or do you record your own?

yep, current 6 r2r and counting .... looking at an Otari that will get me into the TapeProject.

I really dig the R2R's! I always wanted to get my hands on one of those Technics R&B Series machines, but never managed it.

Do you listen to original pre-recorded stuff, or do you record your own?

I have only have 2 pre-recorded tapes all other were made off albums, other peoples tapes ,and cd's. One very interesting note ...I have the Moody Blues "Question of Balance" pre-recorded tape. I synched it up and compared it to the CD and they were pretty much sonically identical when played back with the Tascam. The Technics is very close but just a bit more warm/ polite. They compliment each I make /record with the Tascam. I play back the transfered badly mastered CD's on the Technics.

yep, current 6 r2r and counting .... looking at an Otari that will get me into the TapeProject.

Looks like an interesting club. I had an Otari 5050...wonderful sounding deck. IMHO has the best characteristics of my 2 decks...only reason I sold it was the maddening reel NAB holders they use and you have to get inside the deck to change from high to lower speeds.

Welcome, to the real ML speakers. .LOL......
I do love reel to reel sound. I have heard direct master tapes and was blown away.

Tape seems to have some special quality...I remember hearing a Warner Brother prepared tape used by JBL....was in Bloomington, IN at college 1977 and a local studio had purchased a pair of JBL 4350 monitors...they were being set up/tested...Crown R2R(I had a 724 for many years ) bi-amped Phase Linear amps...if I only had a 2000 sq. ft room!

Tape seems to have some special quality...I remember hearing a Warner Brother prepared tape used by JBL....was in Bloomington, IN at college 1977 and a local studio had purchased a pair of JBL 4350 monitors...they were being set up/tested...Crown R2R(I had a 724 for many years ) bi-amped Phase Linear amps...if I only had a 2000 sq. ft room!

DID I say get them on stands ! ;)

..went on vacation a listened to my brother in-laws...does give slight improvement(?) in the lower midrange but wipes out the floor coupling for the mid/bass...He electronically crosses his to a large sub at 80 hz as he does HT. I instead run the CLS full range and let the sub do 40hz and down 24 db via the OAUDIO sub amp.

Back