System #326 (Purity)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conradjohnsonfan

Reaction score
1. Andrew Ballew

2. Knoxville, TN

3. MartinLogan Purity (pair)

4. 2009

5. none

6. DWIN Transvision 3 projector, Da-Lite 77" Cinema Contour Screen, Squeezebox Duet, Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray, Integra Research RDC-7 preamp, Behringer A500 two-channel amp, Insignia in-ceiling speakers, Elemental Designs A2-250 sub, Furman Merit Power conditioner, Tributaries and Analysis Plus cables, X-10 lighting controls.

7. Was introduced to ML while managing a store in Knoxville called Sound and Cinema.

5891_125292812521_503577521_2885271_7375077_n.jpg

I like what I see. I'd probably like what I hear, too.

How is the purity? I plan on upgrading my speakers in a few years. I'd heard the clarity, so I'm familiar with its sound. Have you? Do you know how the purity and clarity compare?

I like what I see. I'd probably like what I hear, too.

How is the purity? I plan on upgrading my speakers in a few years. I'd heard the clarity, so I'm familiar with its sound. Have you? Do you know how the purity and clarity compare?

I have not heard the Clarity's, sorry. The Purity is a great speaker, though. I use the internal amps, and they never run out of juice in my small listening area. I am sure they would be more than enough for a larger area, too.

What else can I say? They sould like a great ML product. Spacious, detailed, realistic. Instruments "hang" in space, and the background is dead quiet and "black". The panel/woofer integration is transparent to my ears. Good bass authority, too, although a sub is needed for flat response into the 20's.

Bottom line is they are a killer product for the price, especially if you haven't already invested in amplification.

Very nice simple setup! However, I'm curious... given your username, why no C-J gear?

Very nice simple setup! However, I'm curious... given your username, why no C-J gear?

My previous two channel rig, before I had to sell it due to losing my job, consisted of a CJ PV15 pre-amp and a CJ MV60se amp, driving Von Schweikert VR-4jr speakers. I thought about putting a CJ preamp into my current system using home theater bypass. The only problem being CJ preamps are phase inverting, and since I am using the internal amps of the Purities, there is no way to correct for that..

Thanks for the compliment...

Andrew

... The only problem being CJ preamps are phase inverting, and since I am using the internal amps of the Purities, there is no way to correct for that...

FYI, my understanding re phase inverting C-J gear is that if you are using a sole C-J amp (or preamp) you can simply reverse the speaker wire polarity to correct for that! I have a used Premier 350 heading my way, and that's what I plan to do.

I suppose that could still be a problem when using Home Theater bypass via a phase inverting preamp, but I wonder how audible that would really be.

Last edited:
FYI, my understanding re phase inverting C-J gear is that if you are using a sole C-J amp (or preamp) you can simply reverse the speaker wire polarity to correct for that! I have a used Premier 350 heading my way, and that's what I plan to do.

I suppose that could still be a problem when using Home Theater bypass via a phase inverting preamp, but I wonder how audible that would really be.

yeah, if I were using external amps, I wouldn't have a problem. I would just reverse polarity at the speaker terminals on the amp. But, since I run line level direct to the Purities, the signal would not be phase correctable in my case.

I have wondered about the CJ home theater bypass, too. Surely it is phase inverted, too. Otherwise every installation would have an issue of different phasing for two channel and home theater.

Congrats on the 350. We had one of those beasts at my store. It was driving a pair of Dynaudio C4's, and it rocks. Quite a powerhouse.

Back