System #290 (Spire)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice tt

Rich we can agree on one thing. That is a sweet peice of vinyl spinner and pickup.
:bowdown:
gregadd:cool:

Rich we can agree on one thing. That is a sweet peice of vinyl spinner and pickup.
:bowdown:
gregadd:cool:

Thanks! Once I've upgraded my speaker cables and pre to power interconnects, a new cartridge will most likely be my next major audio investment. My Parnassus is about 15 years old now (although it hasn't been used for ALL of those years), so I can't help but wonder about the suspension, stylus wear, etc. Part of me thinks I should upgrade it before I do the cables, but if I keep upgrading big components they may never get done! My system is at the level now where it really needs some proper audiophile cables.

Thanks! Once I've upgraded my speaker cables and pre to power interconnects, a new cartridge will most likely be my next major audio investment. My Parnassus is about 15 years old now (although it hasn't been used for ALL of those years),
Isn't the Parnassus being used as the base for a very high end upgrade? I remember something like this, but cannot recall the details.

Isn't the Parnassus being used as the base for a very high end upgrade? I remember something like this, but cannot recall the details.

Yes, that's correct: the Parnassus is used as the base for Lyra's Olympos cartridge. The Olympos, Titan i (the Olympos' smaller brother), Air Tight PC-1 and PC-1 Supreme, and Clearaudio Goldfinger 2 are on my list of carts to try when I'm in a position to actually spend that kind of $$$$. I should probably add a Koetsu or two to that list too.

God know how I'd evaluate all the options! Worst case scenario will be a blind buy based on reviews, but I'd hate to do that at this kind of investment level. Ideally I'd find a dealer which represents 2 or more of the brands and take my Parnassus there for some comparison listening. A trip to Acoustic Sounds might be a good idea, and I know they have a good selection of records!

Last edited:
No CD player? Or is that what's hiding behind that copy of Dire Straits - "Love Over Gold?"

No CD player? Or is that what's hiding behind that copy of Dire Straits - "Love Over Gold?"

There's a CD player on top of my power conditioner, although I'm tempted to take it out. I usually only have it on when I'm burning in new components, which isn't very often! All of my serious listening is via vinyl.

Behind Love Over Gold is the power supply for my turntable and the inverter necessary to make it work properly over here. It's a UK spec turntable, expecting 240V mains @ 50 Hz. Stepping our 110V up isn't a problem using a transformer, but the frequency change is a bit more tricky. After quite a bit of research I concluded that the best/cheapest option was to buy a 12VDC to 240V @ 50 Hz pure sine wave inverter, and a 110V to 12V DC power supply.

My turntable is great, but the Rube Goldberg nature of the power supply arrangements is the main motivator to eventually replacing it (after just about everything else is upgraded). When the time comes, I'll be in the market for a $40k to $50k turntable.

New cables!

I've just updated the first post with details of my latest acquisitions: Nordost Frey interconnects between my preamp and power amps, and Nordost Frey speaker cable. I've take the opportunity to move some stuff around, so I'll update the pics in the first post when I get a few minutes.

Next on the shopping list: a new cartridge, followed by a phono stage, line stage, and room treatments.

Next on the shopping list: a new cartridge, followed by a phono stage, line stage, and room treatments.
And then Nirvana?

I still think you should upgrade your preamp pot to a DACT stepped attenuator, now, while you're waiting for a new line stage. You'll thank me if you do !

And then Nirvana?

Nope, then Valhalla (once I've saved up enough shekels)! :)

I still think you should upgrade your preamp pot to a DACT stepped attenuator, now, while you're waiting for a new line stage. You'll thank me if you do!

I might just do that, but cash is very limited at the moment. I'd really kick myself if I couldn't afford the phono stage or line stage that I want by $200! :)

Pics updated

As promised, I've finally got around to updating my system pics in the first post. The addition of the Nordost Frey cables enabled me to move the amps nearer the speakers, and (more importantly) remove the TV stand and TV from between them. Much better!

Stunning

Absolutely beautiful!:bowdown: Makes me want to go downstairs and listen to some music.:music:

Glen

enabled me to move the amps nearer the speakers, and (more importantly) remove the TV stand and TV from between them. Much better!

Me Likes ....:music:

Lookin' good Rich !!

Hi Rich,

Saw your comments over on the Holiday music thread (er, I mean Christmas ;)). Thought I would take a peak at your system... very clean and welcoming. Must be a real joy to listen to. And, lo and behold, we're both in the PrimaLuna camp. How do you like your Prologue 7s? Any regrets at all? Any problems or issues with them? Any thoughts about migrating to something else or do they still float your boat?

Thanks, Todd

(p.s. I am absolutely thrilled with my Dialogue 7s, thrilled!)

Hi Rich,

Saw your comments over on the Holiday music thread (er, I mean Christmas ;)). Thought I would take a peak at your system... very clean and welcoming. Must be a real joy to listen to. And, lo and behold, we're both in the PrimaLuna camp. How do you like your Prologue 7s? Any regrets at all? Any problems or issues with them? Any thoughts about migrating to something else or do they still float your boat?

Thanks, Todd

(p.s. I am absolutely thrilled with my Dialogue 7s, thrilled!)

Hi Todd,

Thanks for dropping by!

I love my ProLogue Sevens, and have no regrets! They still float my boat, although I am always eyeing up upgrade options. Right now, though, my highest priority upgrade is a new cartridge. My Parnassus still sounds wonderful, but at around 15 years old, I'm sure its lost a lot of its magic. I haven't quite decided on its replacement (partly dictated by the amount of available funds), but a Lyra Titan i (or whatever replaces it soon), Lyra Olympos SL, or an Air Tight PC-1 (Supreme, preferably) are at the top of my wish list. I recently heard the Olympos SL on a Rockport System III Sirius, and it was sublime!

After that, room treatments and phono stage and line stage upgrades (I am currently in the very fortunate position of borrowing an Allnic H-3000 phono stage and L-3000 line stage, so I'm in no hurry for the last two!).

So yes, I have no doubt that a new power amp is in my future, but beyond that I haven't given it much thought.

PS: Looking at the pics of my record racks, I can't believe how many new records I've acquired since those pics were taken! I have to start thinking of buying a new rack!

PPS: My cartridge is now as Carr intended (i.e., sans body).

Last edited:
Hi Todd,

Thanks for dropping by!

I love my ProLogue Sevens, and have no regrets! They still float my boat, although I am always eyeing up upgrade options. Right now, though, my highest priority upgrade is a new cartridge. My Parnassus still sounds wonderful, but at around 15 years old, I'm sure its lost a lot of its magic. I haven't quite decided on its replacement (partly dictated by the amount of available funds), but a Lyra Titan i (or whatever replaces it soon), Lyra Olympos SL, or an Air Tight PC-1 (Supreme, preferably) are at the top of my wish list. I recently heard the Olympos SL on a Rockport System III Sirius, and it was sublime!

After that, room treatments and phono stage and line stage upgrades (I am currently in the very fortunate position of borrowing an Allnic H-3000 phono stage and L-3000 line stage, so I'm in no hurry for the last two!).

So yes, I have no doubt that a new power amp is in my future, but beyond that I haven't given it much thought.

PS: Looking at the pics of my record racks, I can't believe how many new records I've acquired since those pics were taken! I have to start thinking of buying a new rack!

PPS: My cartridge is now as Carr intended (i.e., sans body).

Well I wish you the best in terms of acquiring the components highest on your priority list. Thanks for the amp feedback (pun intended). While I love my PrimaLunas (perhaps more so than any amps prior), it's always good/comforting to hear positive input from others who own the same brand.

As for the whole vinyl thing... I go in and out of phase with vinyl. We have a bit of a sordid past, mostly undoubtably because I've never ponied up the appropriate funds to buy high quality table/arm/cartridge. Perhaps someday, but given my profession and deep background in the digital domain (I've been in the semiconductor business for, geeeze, going on 29 years now... gulp!) I still hold some hope that digital can sound almost as good as electro-mechanical transduction. (note my use of the word "almost"). I've heard very high end tables before and I'm under no illusion as to what they can do. Spine tingling when everything is setup right.

Anyway, again, best wishes and keep on groovin' (if my kids read this they would boo me out of the room).

Cheers

What an awesome system! What did catch my eye is 'Love Over Gold'. One of my all time favourites.
Hopefully some day I can experience it through vinyl, tubes & Spires. In the mean time, I'm loving the digital version.

What an awesome system! What did catch my eye is 'Love Over Gold'. One of my all time favourites.
Hopefully some day I can experience it through vinyl, tubes & Spires. In the mean time, I'm loving the digital version.

Thanks for your kind words! If you're ever out my way (Kelowna, BC) let me know so that we can arrange a visit...

Back