System #259 (Montage)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielAdler

Reaction score
:::Updated 9-17-09 (Most recent):::

Name: Daniel Perricone
Model: Montage in Black Ash
Year Purchased: 2007
Mods: None
Fav. Music: David Bowie, Beck

Assoc. Equipment:

Subwoofer: Definitive Technologies Prosub800
Power: Panamax M4300 conditioner, and Maxsub2 conditioner
Pre-Pro: Outlaw Model 950
Amplifier: SUMO Polaris (mk.I)
CD Player: Technics SL-PD8
Television: Hitachi P42H401
Game Systems: Xbox360, PS2, Gamecube, (Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, N64, Sega Genesis Not pictured, as they rotate in and out of the system).
Cables: Monster M-Series Toslink from CD player to Model 950, same from Hitachi as well (for videogame audio), Monster M-Series Subwoofer Cable, Monster M-Series Pre-terminated Banana Plug speaker Cable to the Montages, Audioquest Mini-A (for ipod), Ultimate Cables Silver Series C4 interconnect for pre-pro to amp, as well as a zillion cables supplied by the friendly folks at Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.
Plinths: They're do it yourself! 1 1/2" thick oak with mahogany stain, topped with black granite tiles. I made them to protect the floor of my apartment more than any aural gain.

I am quite content with this setup. I know the Montages aren't full dipolar speakers, and certainly not the same as ML's electrostatics, but I do get a 3D soundstage, which reaches out past the speakers and deep into the room. I downgraded from a surround setup I had going, simply because 5.1 doesn't do it for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1084s.jpg
    IMG_1084s.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Daniel, Welcome ! Potsdam, NY....I spent a week there one afternoon. Sorry I couldn't resist, seeing that I'm from Buffalo I couldn't help but give a 'jab' to an even more wintery town !

Nice Montage system your getting together there, glad to hear that you are experimenting with postioning / acoustics and realizing the gains to be had.

Thanks!

It is so very, very cold here in winter. The frozen north, we call it.

Love the look of the room. Have fun moving the placement around and picking up new pieces for the system. It is a great time to make moves if you are thinking of expanding to a ML 5.1 or better. Welcome.

To tell the truth, I'm a diehard fan of two channel setups. When two channels can ''throw'' sound, I get all warm inside. The placement for the montages is pretty much good now, while when I finish the wood/granite bases I'm making I'm sure I'll have to shift them around a bit more. The next big step for all of this is really just getting a quality amp with a full set of lungs to drive them, and a preamp/processor since I'm only using Toslink (there is a reason for that, and its sad. If I could use analog I would.)

OH btw I'll be posting more pictures up here once I get back to my apartment (about a month from now).

Sweet little system. I concur with your 2-channel assertions. My brother has a surround sound set up, but he swears it crucifies music, and only listens to music using two Mission speakers. I know, I know, I haved tried to convince him on a pair of MLs... he is certainly staggered when he hears mine!

Welcome to zee club!

I posted this on the wrong forum:

I'm soooo close to finishing the plinths that I'm working on. I'll get pics of them on here as soon as they're done and in place.

Edit July 27th- The plinths are finished. When I get them in place, I'll see if I can borrow a digital camera and put some new pictures up. I can't wait to use them.

Last edited:
To tell the truth, I'm a diehard fan of two channel setups. When two channels can ''throw'' sound, I get all warm inside. The placement for the montages is pretty much good now, while when I finish the wood/granite bases I'm making I'm sure I'll have to shift them around a bit more. The next big step for all of this is really just getting a quality amp with a full set of lungs to drive them, and a preamp/processor since I'm only using Toslink (there is a reason for that, and its sad. If I could use analog I would.)

Are you using the TV's speakers to watch TV and play video games, or are you using the two channel for that, too?

Are you using the TV's speakers to watch TV and play video games, or are you using the two channel for that, too?

Well, I don't really watch tv. There's a story behind that, too. I don't use the television's speakers for anything. Aside from them being poorly made which makes it hard to hear dialogue etc... I just use a Universal remote to control the tv and receiver so that if I adjust the volume, its the receiver being controlled and if I adjust the input its the television being controlled. Unless of course I use the cd player in which case I adjust the input on the receiver itself.

You see, the major flaw with the Hitachi is that it doesn't allow stereo RCA output on anything using the component video inputs or higher (including HDMI), for reasons unknown to me. Unfortunately that forces me to use an output cable of Toslink to the receiver from the television, instead of RCA stereo cable- completely disabling me from using a simple pre-amp/amplifier combination, which I would have upgraded to since it would be less expensive. Now, I need to use a preamp/processor in order to use a separate amplifier. Because of my freakin' television, I can't use a simple preamp. Sumbitch.

So in answer to your question- I don't use the tv's speakers, because they suck like a miele.

By friday 22nd I'll have fresh picks up, featuring these fantastic additions, never before seen on martinloganowners forum:

- DIY Plinths for the montages
- new rack for video game systems
- Updated placement of speakers and subwoofer
- Hopefully a decent wide-angle picture of the listening room, including the couch and listening chair

Huzzah

Same old room, all new arrangement.

Here is my listening/living room. The new additions are the shelving unit that holds my video game systems, and the plinths under the Montages which I made from oak stained in mahogany, and glossy black granite tops to protect the wood from scratches. They are pretty solid for something made by a complete novice.

I tried to add pictures of the whole room, so you could get an idea where the seating is. When I'm just listening to music by myself, I'll sit on the far right of the couch, where the best imaging can be found. Tell me what you think!

(These pictures were deleted as they're outdated... and my fiancée didn't appreciate being caught in one.)

Last edited:
I'll be updating again soon... I added some new shtuff, though I'll still need to purchase bookshelf speaker stands. You'll see. :)

More updates to come... this time I'm serious.

Yes so its been a while since I updated...

I added three speakers, rounding the system out to a 5.1. The center channel is a Polk CS20 in black. The rears are JBl ES20 bookshelf speakers in black. I was going to post some pictures, but I'll be getting rid of the surround setup and possibly even my subwoofer for the new items coming in-

Outlaw Audio pre/pro Model 950 (used off of audiogon- in love with that site btw)

Adcom GFA 555 2 channel amp

Once they're in, I'll take pictures. It'll be beautiful. I'm still a sucker for 2 channel.

Last edited:
Damnation!

Ok scratch that. I received the Outlaw Model 950, no problem.

Then the fun stuff starts-

The GFA-555 arrives two weeks late (after I had to contact ebay and get THEM to contact the seller so they'd actually ship it). I turn it on, no sound. I open it up, 3 out of 4 interior fuses blown. Next day I pop over to ace hardware, get fuses, go back, hook it up, turn it on- and it blows the aluminum woofers on my left speaker.

So yeah. Now I'm waiting (another week) to hear back from the seller so I can get a refund. This is the worst thing (in my audiophelia hobby) thats happened yet.

Suck.

OK! It is officially updated. Biggest change is the replacement of my old Yamaha HTR-5940 for an Outlaw Model 950/SUMO Polaris combination. They needed a dedicated amp fiercely. Check out the first post to see the new picture. Let me know if you have any suggestions/complaints/concerns.

Last edited:
I turn it on, no sound. I open it up, 3 out of 4 interior fuses blown. Next day I pop over to ace hardware, get fuses, go back, hook it up, turn it on- and it blows the aluminum woofers on my left speaker.

So yeah. Now I'm waiting (another week) to hear back from the seller so I can get a refund. This is the worst thing (in my audiophelia hobby) thats happened yet.

Suck.

Man that really sucks! I know you can get great deals on pre-owned equipment but it's a gamble just like life. I myself have been lucky and had good fortune with buying pre-owned equipment. Thank God for Audiogon!

Man that really sucks! I know you can get great deals on pre-owned equipment but it's a gamble just like life. I myself have been lucky and had good fortune with buying pre-owned equipment. Thank God for Audiogon!

It totally is a gamble! Fortunately the SUMO Polaris I bought afterwards was from audiogon, and works perfectly! A little less wattage, but it handles the montages well enough. They're 5Ω with a recommended rating of 150 watts, and the Polaris pumps around 159 into 4Ω (not at clipping, mind you. at clipping its said to be around 175), so I figure its plenty. It sounds so much cleaner now!

I bought a small trunk, in which I can put all of the game controllers/wires etc so that it doesn't look like a mess. I originally had a wicker basket for these items, which was located under the table holding the 360/PS2. Now I've placed my sub right under it- its a perfect fit, as though it were meant to be there. Plus I moved my little sculpture on top of it, so its off the glass shelving. I also got to display the flute my fiancée gave me the christmas before last. Looks somewhat balanced, eh?

Last edited:
Back