System #245 (Ascent)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug,

I've been to a Chicago Audio Society meeting once, I believe it was back in January of 2007 when ML was demoing their Summits with Theta Digital equipment. I believe Burke attends on a regular basis. We're a pretty active group I believe the largest gathering of Chicago MLOC was last spring when 6 of us got together and listened to Joey's, Cherian's, and Burke's systems along with a trip to Glenn Poors.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=4179

4 of us went to the National meeting in Lawerence last summer.

We've gotten together twice to see Patricia Barber at the Green Mill.

Dave, (Twich54), is suppose to come to town first week in May, and we're planning to see Patricia again. Just keep checking the site for our next gathering.

wayne

Last edited:
That TT stand looks great, but does not look stable. What is the base made of? Do you not have trouble with footfalls causing problems?

Footfalls

That TT stand looks great, but does not look stable. What is the base made of? Do you not have trouble with footfalls causing problems?

Bernard, and all interested,
The base is made of a fiberboard (MDF) material and then covered in leather. I have then tip-toed the base with 4 spikes.
Yes I do have trouble with the ole foot, but I did with the Synergy rack as well. I have a cement crawl beneath where the rack is, and I think when I get some time I'm going to wedge some supports under that area of the floor. I have heard of this working before for people that have had this "footfall" issue, so I will give it a go.
As far as the stability of the stand I think it is fine. I have many other plans in mind for the entire TT and component rack, but will just take some time to make happen.
On another note: I have asked this ? on other threads with no response so I'll give it a try here. It seems that everyone is always using extreme hardwoods (such as maple) as TT bases or speaker bases. It would seem to make more sense to me to use a softer wood as this may help damp any vibes. I will be experimenting with some redwood slabs I at one time used when I was making rustic furniture (*) So...........on this goes it seems that we can do small things that will have profound effects on our audio systems. I had one happen the other day when I removed the Synergy rack and put something much smaller in its place. The imaging abilities of my system took a big boost from this small adjustment.

Doug - out

* For those concerned: I always purchased the redwood from a forest that was harvested over 100 years ago. It seems that at one time they would leave 6-8 feet of stump after the harvest. Why I don't know. 100 years later you remove 6-8 inches of rotten wood on top and the wood under is perfect. A guy in California had bought such a property and was selling off the dead stump material. Always sounded like a great idea to use something that would otherwise go to waste.

Last edited:
Platforms

Hey Doug,

I ordered a demo table top dust cover for a Marantz tt that is about the same size as mine and was looking at a few vibration platforms that would fit with this Mutt I'm putting together. One is the Symposium Ultra Platform and the other is a Pro-Ject Ground It Platform. My TT currently sits on the top shelf of an Adonis 3-tier isolation rack. I wonder if I should fork out the extra dough for a platform... They are not cheap! Oh yeah, the Zerodust Stylus Cleaner works great.

Satch

Good ?

Hey Doug,

I ordered a demo table top dust cover for a Marantz tt that is about the same size as mine and was looking at a few vibration platforms that would fit with this Mutt I'm putting together. One is the Symposium Ultra Platform and the other is a Pro-Ject Ground It Platform. My TT currently sits on the top shelf of an Adonis 3-tier isolation rack. I wonder if I should fork out the extra dough for a platform... They are not cheap! Oh yeah, the Zerodust Stylus Cleaner works great.

Satch

Satch,
The dust cover is a must, so way to go. This will help keep the all the
delicate things on your TT somewhat clean and somewhat dust free. It is weird how audio equipment seems to attract dust like a giant magnet. (I guess it kinda is)
Anyway the platform thing I'm sure would be a good thing. I myself have not purchased one, but could see how it may really be a positive in a analog rig. I hope some vinyl guys will be poking around here and give you their opinion. My TT the way it is sounds great, that doesn't mean it can't sound better. I just haven't found the need to go to the platform yet. Other guys may tell you they couldn't imagine their table without it. I will be interested in hearing any and all responses myself. It may change my mind and I'll be running to get one myself.

Doug - out

Updated Pics Finally!!

I had a moment on Christmas Eve, and thought I would post a couple pics of the the new CJ gear. I have wanted to do it sooner, but better late than never.
Notice the MLs in full holiday dress.

New gear - CJ Evolution 2000 power amp 400 watts
CJ Premier 14 pre-amp

Is this how it is to be done, or do the update pics need to be at the front end of the post? If needed at the front end, I'm not sure how to do that.

Doug - out

Attachments

• IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_2243.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 474
Amp pic

CJ Evolution 2000 complete with finger prints I see.:eek:

This chunk weighs in at somewhere around a hefty 137 lbs.
Not enjoyable to move, but a pleasure to listen to. :rocker:

Doug - out

Attachments

• IMG_2244.jpg
    IMG_2244.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 473
Wow, new equipment tooks great. The Evolution look like a monster. It is aparently imposing enough that Nipper seems to have backed off a bit.

When you get time let us know how is sounds different from your Nad/Threshold combination. I'm sure it makes those Ascents sing.

Doug - take the grills off your Ascents. They are not all all acoustically transparent being made of thick perforated plastic. You should notice a good improvement when the are gone.

On the other hand, if there are kids around etc....

Doug - take the grills off your Ascents. They are not all all acoustically transparent being made of thick perforated plastic. You should notice a good improvement when the are gone.

Thanks for the suggestion I will give it a go.

Doug - out

Whoever is marketing ML in Chicago is doing something of an amazing job - there's got to be money made in promoting this mob.......

Well, you've got to remember, Chicago has major offices for UBS (US HQ), ING (Midwest HQ), and Goldman Sachs (3 offices!!!), so I imagine a LOT of these "insiders" have been well aware of the :writing on the wall" for the better part of the last 2 or 3 years, and knew that they'd better liquidate some of their "investments" and put them in tangible goods.

This "insider" mentality of bailing before the market crash would also explain why 2008 was a record sales year for Ferrari...:duh:

If you want to solve a crime, follow the money trail...

CJ Evolution 2000 complete with finger prints I see.:eek:

This chunk weighs in at somewhere around a hefty 137 lbs.
Not enjoyable to move, but a pleasure to listen to. :rocker:

Doug - out

That is a thing of beauty.:music:

Ok took off the grills and I must a nice difference in clarity, definition, and possibly heft also. Thanks much for the advice:bowdown:
This is what I love about this site. When I had dynamic speakers it always made sense to take the grills off for the high frequency drivers. I never really removed them thinking it was helping bass definition.

BTW my kids 5 and 10 have been little angels around the audio stuff. At my other house I had the gear in the basement, but at this house right in the living room. Both girls love the music and are learning how to work a turntable to.:rocker:

Doug - out

I'm jealous, my dad NEVER let me touch the turntable.

I can understand that. Bottom line, I guess its a "thing" and I gotta risk it. They really enjoy and wonder at how the sound is made. I also find that they begin to appreciate how delicate the equipment is with a little teaching and hands-on. I can recommend the practice to anyone with kids. Just only when dad is around to supervise.;)

Doug - out

I think that's freakin' awesome. I taught my kids how to properly use the turntable as well. Nothing engages a kid like having a parent teach them how to do something whether it's use a turntable, learn how to fish, ride a bike etc. I have a LOT of memories from those types of experiences with my dad. I hope I've created a few similarly with my kids. You're doing a good thing there.

Ok took off the grills and I must a nice difference in clarity, definition, and possibly heft also. Thanks much for the advice:bowdown:

No problem. Any Descent owners should do the same thing. They are equally as muffling as the Ascent grills.

Back