System #214 (SL3)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have determind that holding your palms against the window panes to be a most effective form of damping.

After the thread about which you are speaking - I've decided that removing the fr1gg1n window panes is the best bet. Listening rooms should be window free and everyone will live in harmony ever after.

Now that really did make me laugh out loud!:)

Cables? They do measure differently. Therefore, they sound different. Easy!:)

OUCH! That's gotta hurt - or does it? Why the move? I'd kill for a dedicated room (of decent size anyway).
For health reasons I had to sell the house and move to an apartment (no stairs). The move away from a dedicated room does not hurt as I have a very understanding wife when it comes to this hobby. She was the instigator behind my buying my Logans, my Koetsu, and my PrimaLuna. She also understands that the Logans have to be a few feet into the room to sound their best.

Last edited:
Now that really did make me laugh out loud!:)

Cables? They do measure differently. Therefore, they sound different. Easy!:)
What if the difference is insignificant but they still sound different? Not so easy, huh?

I have even heard huge differences between digital cables, and that makes no sense to me as once you get a steady-state stream of pulses there should be no difference. BUT, I hear what I hear.

Well, EW must realise the insignificant difference must be significant.:D

Bernard, I'll be brutally honest hear - I have never heard a difference between any optical cable. Nor would I expect to, unless it blocks light:D

For normal analogue ICs, the material employed seems to make a big diff to the sound i.e. silver versus copper versus hybrids. Did I say big dif? I meant subtle - but it is there.

Bernard, I'll be brutally honest hear - I have never heard a difference between any optical cable. Nor would I expect to, unless it blocks light:D
Sorry, I was not clear - I was not talking about optical cables; I was talking about the normal digital coaxial stuff.

Turntable

I like pictures of turntables, so thought I would post one of mine, an older VPI.

Attachments

• Turntable.JPG
    Turntable.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
Justin, it is some thin flexible material - may be plastic of some sort; the dealer gave it to me. I just use it to protect the surface from dust when not in use, as I don't have a cover. I take it off to play an LP.

Looks like it's using a threaded spindle and a clamp with a raised centre - like my GyroOrbe.

I wonder who first came up with that idea - cos it works. Anyone know?

I could not help but think that the singers seemed to have loosened their underwear ! Everything seemed to be less constricted and flow much better.

Whoa !!!!!! Now Bernard I'm not even through my first cup of 'joe' this morning, not sure how one is supposed to take that !! LOL ! I'm not getting a good 'sight picture' !

Seriously though, congrats on your early X-Mas present ! It sounds as if your initial impressions back up what I have read about it, look forward to listening impressions a couple months down the road.

Whoa !!!!!! Now Bernard I'm not even through my first cup of 'joe' this morning, not sure how one is supposed to take that !! LOL ! I'm not getting a good 'sight picture' !
Sorry Dave; re-reading it now it does sound a bit strange, but cinch up your Fruit of the Looms and sing a few bars and you will understand what I mean.

Why do I like that ARC pre so much? It looks fab!

Great photo, too. You must go to the next major Canadian show, Bernard, and post the pics!

Why do I like that ARC pre so much? It looks fab!

I don't know, but I just "get" it - that's a DAMN NICE PREAMP Bernard!

I--LIKE--ARC--!

Even if the power switch is the wrong way around (In Australia, up should be OFF, down should be on - I'm sure Justin agrees)!

Last edited:
I don't know, but I just "get" it - that's a DAMN NICE PREAMP Bernard!

I--LIKE--ARC--!
Yeah, I like ARC too. However, I wish it were the Ref 3/PH 7 combo (muchos pesos).
Even if the power switch is the wrong way around (In Australia, up should be OFF, down should be on - I'm sure Justin agrees)!
I was born in East Africa, and that's how it was there too.

Back