System #185 (Spire)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w_thongchai

Reaction score
Update June 2010: (after a long years of away from this hobby)

1. Member Name: Thongchai
2. Location: Bangkok, Thailand
3. ML Model(s): Martin Logan Spire
4. Year Purchased: June 2010
5. Mods/Changes: Original, no mod
6. Associated Electronics:
Digital Source: SlimDevice Squeezebox3/Duet (Wired LAN,FLAC)
Digital Cable: COAX S/PDIF
Outboard DAC/Phono: Stello DP200
Pre-amplifier: Spectral DMC-30SL
Interconnect Cable: MIT Magnum M1 XLR/BlacksheepCable Apollo
Power-amplifier: Ayre V3
Spkr Cable: MIT Shotgun S3.3 Biwire
Spkr: Martin Logan Spire + 45x51x25 cm Granite Stand
Power Cable: VirtualDynamics PowerBasic/PowerThree
Room Size: 4mx7m with Diffuser/Roomtune

photo.php

=== Original Post in 2006 ===

3. ML Model(s): Martin Logan Vista
4. Year Purchased: Late 2006
Digital Source: SlimDevice Squeezebox3 (Wired LAN,FLAC)
Digital Cable: COAX S/PDIF (can't remmeber brand ~200$)
Pre-amplifier: Stello DP200 (be both Pre & D/A)
Interconnect Cable: MIT Magnum M1 XLR
Spkr Cable: MIT Avt3 Biwire
Spkr: MartinLogan Vista
Power Cable: Mixed VirtualDynamics PowerBasic/PowerThree

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:
About 3 years ago when I plan the functioning layout of my new home, a dedicated room for home theatre was on the plan. Originally, it was 80:20 HT:Music, HT was using market-grade Yamaha AV+Bose AcousticMass in 7.1 setup. Music was B&W 602S3 + Easy listening NAD352 feed by DVD Player Phillips Universal Player. I was quite happy with my setup, econimical and self-sufficient.

It alway started with a troublesome ear/bad luck/??? when I had a chance to listen to ML Aeon i at one of the Hi-Fi show about 2 years ago. Then my listening taste would never be the same again ... No matter how I change associated equipment, it just never right; it just have to be ML. Alas, once the right chance come, so I just gotta go with ML in my effortable range, Vista. So, here is where I am today.

Attachments

• IMGP0516 (Small).JPG
    IMGP0516 (Small).JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,913
Last edited:
Welcome to our club Thongchai!

:welcome:

Very nice looking system you have there.

I deleted your other system post because this one had all the required information.

Looking forward to your contributions here, you may be our first member from Thailand.

Welcome !

Congrats for a beautiful system !

I've heard good things about the Stello DP200, as well as the Ayre amplifier. You have a nice choice of equipment, quite a step up from the earlier Acoustimass setup you described ! ;)

Happy listening !

Good looking system!

So you're running the coax digital out of the Squeezebox to the DP200, right? Also, what kind of system are your using for FLAC file storage?

Beautiful system and that hardwood is just bee-yuuu-tee-full!

I agree... superb looking system, and I'm sure it sounds even BETTER! Please describe the wood panels on the wall behind your system. Did you make them yourself?

I agree... superb looking system, and I'm sure it sounds even BETTER! Please describe the wood panels on the wall behind your system. Did you make them yourself?

Yes, I noticed those too - they look like they would be good diffusers and very fine looking to boot!

Welcome, Thongchai ! :rocker:

I have never seen such a big 1D diffuser like yours in a indivisual room.
I guess you can get a beautiful echo from that. I want to know your impression about it.

Shuji

Guys:

Thanks a lot for all greetings for a newbie like myself. Looking forward to contribute my limited knowledge to the group and vice versa.

I gradually upgraded my components: Amplifier (Ayre does runs quite hot though, but sounded very musical!), Speakers, AC treatment, etc. My latest step on the source. I first was not quite convince about different digital source will sound diffrently using the same DAC (DP200). Silly me, they sure do feed different bit stream to my DAC. I did try dedicated transport from Stello from in-home audition, but decided to go with SB3 for ease of use + excellent sound representation (also for value for my money -- focus on musicallity). My SB3 setup is FLAC via homewired LAN (tested both Wi-Fi and LAN, i like the sound the latter). All my music collections reside on PC running Windows XP -- 2.8GHz Pentium 1GB Memory with some storage.

Regarding the diffuser, it was designed by local installer when my first system was decided (B&W602S3+NAD352). When I decided to upgrade my speakers, I first heard that ML (or those dipole spkr) prefers flat surrounding + some reflection. Anyway, I didn't feel that way after Vista arrive (with proper positioning of course). It's most transparent/life-like speaker compare to my prior setup. :D

Recently, after I had more time listening to my system, I developed the impression that my first note bass sound was somehow missing with current chain. Picking spkr cable of MIT Avt3 Biwire as target spot, now I'm auditioning VD David Biwire and sure it prove my curiosity -- now the bass is back with full bodies. To me, David is like dual solid core wires just to hook up between my Amp and spkrs. I believe the network box on MIT cable which divided freq into "High" and "Low" output is not quite match with ML Vista. Now I'm thinking, ML may prefer full freq spectrum feeding to itself to perform best using internal freq division circuit route to its panel/driver.

Thinking of AntiCable now. Any of you guys tried it before or any other recommendation?

Marvelous Vista System...

Thongchai,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!

Lovely Vista System! :drool: I love the all wooden wall behind your wonderful Vista system, it is just stunningly beautiful. What kinda wood is the wall made of? it must be wonderful for sound dispersion?

Excellent system... :D

It is good to have you here... :D

Vista -> Spire+Spectral DMC-30SL

Update June 2010: (after a long years away from this hobby)

Digital Source: SlimDevice Squeezebox3/Duet (Wired LAN,FLAC)
Interconnect Cable: MIT Magnum M1 XLR/BlacksheepCable Apollo XLR
Power Cable: VirtualDynamics PowerBasic/PowerThree

Attachments

• System July 2010.jpg
    System July 2010.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,479
Thongchai,

Great looking maple Spires!

I'm running maple Spires and a maple Depth i with an Ayre V-5xe. :)

Welcome back.

Satch

Update January 2012: (after a year away busy with new little boy in home)

I think it's more life like and real. But at the same time, given me chance to re-browse to old music collection (or even some LP originally own by my dad). More music and more fun!

Digital Source: SlimDevice Squeezebox3/Duet (Wired LAN,FLAC) with MacMini Music Server
Interconnect Cable: MIT Oracle v2.2/MIT Magnum M1 XLR
Power-amplifier: Spectral DMA-250
Power Cdn: PS Audio Powerplant Premier
Power Cable: Transparent PL MM/VirtualDynamics PowerBasic/PowerThree

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

Update January 2012: (after a year away busy with new little boy in home)

I think it's more life like and real. But at the same time, given me chance to re-browse to old music collection (or even some LP originally own by my dad). More music and more fun!

Digital Source: SlimDevice Squeezebox3/Duet (Wired LAN,FLAC) with MacMini Music Server
Interconnect Cable: MIT Oracle v2.2/MIT Magnum M1 XLR
Power-amplifier: Spectral DMA-250
Power Cdn: PS Audio Powerplant Premier
Power Cable: Transparent PL MM/VirtualDynamics PowerBasic/PowerThree

One can see the very careful positioning and thoughtful room treatment in your setup, not to mention the high caliber components. Congrats on a stellar looking (and I assume even more steller sounding) system. Of course congrats on the new family member too :)

What are the square platforms under the speakers? Can't make out the material from the pic.

Cheers

Nice stuff.Great looking

Beek:

Thanks. It's all work in progress, too many times away and still come back for this beautiful hobby. Once heard "The search for absolute sound is a journey, not destination" -- such a true statement indeed!! Cheers! :)

Back